• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What About Cleaning the Moderator?

I just read ThomasT's thread about barrel cleaning and yes, just like most of the posts I clean when accuracy demands.
Last time I cleaned I opened up the Donny Sumo just to see what it looked like inside and WOW, what a gunky mess. So, I spent the next half-hour scrubbing the internals (including the screen) until all surfaces were clean. Per usual, the accuracy returned to spot on after the cleaning, but I wonder if the moderator cleaning had anything at all to do with this.
Question is (and the reason for a new thread) does anybody out there ever clean their moderators and is it worthwhile or a waste of time?

Hello kball,

Funny that you ask, the other day when I removed the barrel from my FX Crown I also removed the moderator. I took it apart and as shown in the photo the "stuff" on the end of my finger came out of just the end piece. I did not clean it then because I had decided to leave it off of the gun, but now I will take it apart again and do a cleaning.(y)
Thank you and have a great day,
ThomasT
FX Crown Moderator-1.jpg

Reactions: kball
I was wondering about this and looked it up. I’ve opened a Donny and wiped dust from the baffles and tube. It seems like my guns’ shrouds collect more dust than the moderators (probably because I don’t always shoot with a moderator). @Motorhead’s 100,000 shots comment is curious. I mean it’s not like there’s carbon buildup like a PB can would have on the internals.

For those that clean their moderators from time to time, do you do anything besides wipe down (and q-tip swab) the the baffles? Is the process any different between metal and plastic airgun moderators? What’s the biggest concern - clean screens, felt, or baffles?

@Motorhead When you say keep an eye on alignment to the bore, what should we be looking at specifically? Are you speaking to paying attention to barrel’s bore alignment to the baffles during reassembly?

Reactions: ThomasT
100,000 is a number out of thin air ... basically a number few would ever reach, so a non issue IMO.

ALIGNMENT of baffles on any quality LDC should be automatic being all parts are concentric and generally Lathe turned.
ISSUE LIES in the LDC getting mounted on a tilt to the muzzle so as too create a clipping issue.
* Clipping happens because the bore threw the LDC IS NOT straight & true to the barrels bore.
It can be non concentric ( Off center ) or be tilted making the pellets flight threw the LDC progressively off center as it nears exit of said LDC.

* Only when looking down the Barrel / LDC from the muzzle with a STRONG light source at breech shining into the bore can one truly know for certain all is in correct alignment :love:

I had a lot of clippings in my felt just pick it out
Are you sure that these are not just lead flakes from pellets? If you don't wash them and just shoot from the tin, that could be the case. I wash and lube most of mine (because I shoot a lot in my basement) and I am often stunned at the amount of lead flakes I get from that - much of which would be in my LDCs or on the floor if I did not wash them first.