• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Brocock/BRK What a shooter!! BRK Pathfinder .177

What is this red band on the cocking lever? Looks Cool :) Can i please have the link to it? Thanks!
I received a BRK/Brocock Pathfinder in 22 caliber early last week. It arrived with an air leak.

I've watched many YouTube videos about the Pathfinder and they all omitted a material fact: Brocock "locks" the hammer spring, so when one tries to tune the Pathfinder by adjusting the hammer spring, you'll find that the hammer adjustment screw will not rotate in clockwise or counterclockwise. Accordingly, I could not tune my Pathfinder which is a nonstarter for me. I have come to understand that Brocock/BRK placed some "plastic screws" in place to prevent the hammer from being adjusted, but I was also informed that the "plastic screws" could be removed. I was told that Brocock/BRK sets the regulator and the hammer with THEY believe it should be. How could that be true? Because the tune is dependent upon the projectile that you're using.

This is not an inexpensive gun. It's a premium PCP. I have three FX PCPs, an FX Panthera 600mm in .22, an FX Panthera Hunter Compact in .22 and an FX Maverick in .22 and .30. The Pathfinder, IMHO, is not even in the same league as my FX PCPs.

If you are looking for a compact, folding stock, accurate and TUNABLE PCP, have a look at the FX Panthera Hunter Compact with the shot-to-shot consistency of a dynamic block.

I returned the Pathfinder to Airguns of Arizona due to it being defective (leak) and the undisclosed lack of hammer spring adjustment. I had to pay for the return shipping, more than $80 via UPS Ground from CT to AZ.

My prior experience with Airguns of Arizona has been very positive and they have an excellent reputation. The fact that the Pathfinder leaked is not their fault. (IMHO), nor is the undisclosed fact that the hammer spring should not be adjusted or could not be adjusted a failure of Airguns Arizona. That material omission is the fault of every Pathfinder reviewer that I could find on YouTube.

Haven't you heard that "everything on the Internet is true?"

• Haha
Reactions: L.Leon
@Sky King, definitely an unfortunate first time experience for you. The HS on the Pathfinder XR “is” adjustable by the user. Your experience is definitely an anomaly. Don’t know bout YouTube reviewers, but the Pathfinder’s HS “is” user adjustable. Where did it leak from? It would clarify to know. Your experience is in the minority.🙏

Good grief......so many disappointed Pathfinder owners out there...........NOT!
I don't have one myself, yet. I do have the full size version, a Commander XR, and it's tuneable with a 4 position transfer port knob on the right side as well as hammer spring. Oh, and so is it's baby brother, the Ranger XR. Oh and so is my wife's Atomic XR. They all just plain work without a bunch of tweaks required and do so on commonly available ammo. I trust that the Pathfinder is in the same:unsure:

Good grief......so many disappointed Pathfinder owners out there...........NOT!
I don't have one myself, yet. I do have the full size version, a Commander XR, and it's tuneable with a 4 position transfer port knob on the right side as well as hammer spring. Oh, and so is it's baby brother, the Ranger XR. Oh and so is my wife's Atomic XR. They all just plain work without a bunch of tweaks required and do so on commonly available ammo. I trust that the Pathfinder is in the same:unsure:
@Sky King, is but an FX ”plant” here… And as they use to say in my South Bronx neighborhood… “He showed his neck”🤓🙈

@Sky King I'm assuming you tried to turn the HS and it did not turn for you. It's because the white plastic screw holding in place was evidently too tight on yours. My Atomic has the exact same feature. All that's needed is to take apart the buttstock from the main body and back off the plastic screw holding it in place. I can tighten the plastic screw on mine enough to where it's very difficult to turn the HS. Below is a diagram showing where the screw resides. Wouldn't trade my Brocock for all your FX's.

1715487678157.png

Last edited:
  • Love
@Sky King, definitely an unfortunate first time experience for you. The HS on the Pathfinder XR “is” adjustable by the user. Your experience is definitely an anomaly. Don’t know bout YouTube reviewers, but the Pathfinder’s HS “is” user adjustable. Where did it leak from? It would clarify to know. Your experience is in the minority.🙏
Thank you for your input. Well, the gun arrived, and I filled it and cleaned it and started shooting it over a chronograph. It was obvious that the hammer and the valve were not in sync, I attempted to adjust the hammer. I inserted the appropriate diameter, hex wrench, and attempted to turn it. It wouldn’t budge clockwise or counterclockwise. It felt like it was lokTited . Then called Airguns Arizona and asked if it was possible that the hammer spring was locked so it could not be adjusted. The Tech told me that in fact Brocock installed some “plastic screws“ that prevent the hammer from being adjusted. He went on to explain that Brocock knows where it should be set, and that’s where they set it. As incredible as it may seem, of course one needs to put the hammer in sync with the valve. And the inability to adjust the hammer precludes that. We all know that tuning is dependent on the pellet used or slug used . So there could be no “fixed setting” or else the pathfinder would not be tunable. After shooting the few pellets, maybe five or so, and not having the ability to adjust the hammer, I checked the air bottle, pressure gauge and noticed that it had declined , more than appropriate for five shots. I called the tech at Airguns of Arizona and they suggested to spray some Windex around the likely places to leak, like the gauges, and sure enough the air pressure gauge for the bottle was blowing bubbles, obviously leaking. I then called the tech at Airguns of Arizona to let them know, and he suggested that the gauge should be tightened. I asked him how much torque to apply and he said he didn’t know. So I gingerly applied moderate force, nothing very substantial, until I noticed no more bubbles coming from the Windex under the gauge . It was at that point that the top of the gauge broke off the stem, the threaded stem.

With both the leak and the inability to adjust the hammer, at least according to the tech at Airguns of Arizona, I knew that this gun was not for me . At that point, I returned the gun to Airguns Arizona after getting an RMA

Because of this experience, I will not buy another Brocock product.

And I am relatively pissed off that none of the reviewers that I have read or watched said anything about the hammer being “locked in place by plastic screws installed by Brocock”.

This was a very unpleasant experience in that the Pathfinder is actually priced higher than a FX Panthera Hunter Compact which I also own and love. I have two Pantheras, One Maverick and many other PCPs, so I’m relatively experienced with PCP Airguns. “That’s my story and I’m sticking to it :)

@Sky King I'm assuming you tried to turn the HS and it did not turn for you. It's because the white plastic screw holding in place was evidently too tight on yours. My Atomic has the exact same feature. All that's needed is to take apart the buttstock from the main body and back off the plastic screw holding it in place. I can tighten the plastic screw on mine enough to where it's very difficult to turn the HS. Below is a diagram showing where the screw resides. Wouldn't trade my Brocock for all your FX's.

View attachment 463821
I appreciate your response. And I felt that based on what the tech told me, and the leak on a brand new gun was an indication, maybe from a higher source, :), that this gun was not for me. I’m glad that other people could love this gun And that’s all fine with me because I understand that inasmuch as I love my FX guns.

“Different strokes for different folks“

Wow not even in the same ”league” as your FXs… ? Um otay! Fiddle with your FXs and be happy.🙏 Your one time experience with a BRK is just that… Enjoy your FXs…🙏
I don’t like to “fiddle” with my PCPs. I tune them and then shoot them every day. I know some FX products are problematical, but not the two types that I have. Thank goodness.

The Pathfinder’s genetics and lineage is established by the prior models its based on. For example, the Sniper HR, Commander HR became the Sniper XR and Commander XR which begat the smaller Pathfinder. The plastic screws holding the HS are to simply keep it from moving inadvertently. I put my Pathfinder to the test multiple times a week. It is a wickedly accurate and deadly rig, the Pathfinder and my other two BRKs have been problem free right out the box. Am blessed that I can shoot in my yard from 10 to 110+ yards…

@Sky King, I apologize to you, if I have insulted you… 🙏was overly responding to the following… 🙈

”This is not an inexpensive gun. It's a premium PCP. I have three FX PCPs, an FX Panthera 600mm in .22, an FX Panthera Hunter Compact in .22 and an FX Maverick in .22 and .30. The Pathfinder, IMHO, is not even in the same league as my FX PCPs.”

The Pathfinder’s genetics and lineage is established by the prior models its based on. For example, the Sniper HR, Commander HR became the Sniper XR and Commander XR which begat the smaller Pathfinder. The plastic screws holding the HS are to simply keep it from moving inadvertently. I put my Pathfinder to the test multiple times a week. It is a wickedly accurate and deadly rig, the Pathfinder and my other two BRKs have been problem free right out the box. Am blessed that I can shoot in my yard from 10 to 110+ yards…

@Sky King, I apologize to you, if I have insulted you… 🙏was overly responding to the following… 🙈

”This is not an inexpensive gun. It's a premium PCP. I have three FX PCPs, an FX Panthera 600mm in .22, an FX Panthera Hunter Compact in .22 and an FX Maverick in .22 and .30. The Pathfinder, IMHO, is not even in the same league as my FX PCPs.”
No apology necessary. IF AOA's tech would have told me that "if the plastic screws are too tight, they are easy to remove/loosen and not designed to prohibit or thwart hammer spring adjustment", I would have just sent the Pathfinder back for leak / gauge repair and not for a full refund. Too late now as I just bought another FX. My FXs are extremely accurate and have very low SDs. I've had absolutely no issues with any of them. I especially designate my FX Panthera Hunter Compact in .22 as. "my favorite".

I appreciate what you have to say however see my previous post about what the Airguns of Arizona tech told me and never said that the plastic screws are easy to remove or loosen yes you can adjust the hammer. If he had said that, I would have a different take on the Pathfinder but I'm very very very happy with my FX Panthera Hunter Compact in 22 caliber