What a relief - H&N 23gr slugs working again

Max115

Jul 15, 2018
BC, Canada
Well, I finally got my FX Impact MK2 to shoot the H&N 23gr well again after a long year and a half of not able to shoot tight groups. My Impact was capable of hitting 3/4" groups out to 100 yards on a calm day with the 23gr before. Then H&N changed the lubrication and everything well down hill from there. I washed and lubed these problem slugs but I wasn't able to get them to shoot well. I modified and changed my settings but didn't have any good results.

That has since changed when I started to tune my Impact to shoot the new H&N 34-40gr heavy slugs. I have increased the Reg pressure up to 130 bars and the hammer spring. I was getting decent tight groups with the 34 gr out to 100 yards. But I always wanted to get back to shooting the 23gr slugs as I have plenty of stocks. So last week I spent some time to test and shoot the 23gr. I left the regulator pressure as it was and just adjusted the power wheel from Max and eventually settled on setting 2. Let's just say I was getting excited as I saw the groups tighten up as I dialled down the power wheel from Max.

I was spitting out the 23gr over 1000 fps at Max and of course the groups were not good. Too much speed for these 23gr slugs. When I reached to setting 2, the groups were 1/2 to 3/4" at 50 yards.

What a relief! I thought to myself, this current setup might be it. So this past weekend I was out at my permission and put in more time to shoot these 23gr out to 100 yards.

I was hitting the bullseye consistently and it was fairly breezy that morning when I hit a 3 shots group at 65 yards. This was by far the tightest 3 shots group I have ever done at this distance. I know it was only three shots but it was good enough for me and I knew my Impact was back on business.

In the past couple of days I have been popping starlings from 40 - 88 yards repeatedly. What a great feeling to feel confident again with this projectile and trusting the slug to hit its mark as long as the windage assumption was correct.

I guess patience and luck was all I needed to get these 23gr slugs to perform well again.

IMG_4412.jpg

@Peashooter. I believe it was a fluke for me with reaching this reg pressure/hammer spring tension. I have tried for a long time to get the accuracy back with these 23gr slugs, but to be honest, I didn't really do it right before where I should have increased the reg pressure higher and test it. Luckily I was curious about shooting the heavy 34gr slugs and I ended up raising the reg up and then increased the hammer spring as well.
Keep trying at it and I hope you will tumble onto the correct Reg/HS combination like I did. Right now my Impact MK2 is shooting these 23gr really really well. Nice to hear the loud pop on the starlings consistently. Good luck.

Reactions: Peashooter
Well in all aspects i am not in any way used to having much luck with anything, but fortunately i am at least not unlucky like some people are often or all the time.
I have just worked on my Maverick on the living room table, and i have dialled it wayyyyy back, but found a good setting where it is very constant on the chrono making 7 shot strings on the chrono where the average deviation are under 5 FPS.
This is on power-wheel #4 so i can go a little down and up a lot more on wheel + Adjuster screw.
I think i will just aim for a good 13 grain slug setting, and then forget about everything else ( i have around 20 tins / boxes of 13 grain slugs )
Screenshot_2022-07-04-16-34-55-294_com.basepaintball.fxblue.jpg

I might try shooting heavier stuff on the Vulcan 3 as it seem a bit more forgiving / easy to get to a good place with, and with just about anything i can shove in it.
I need to watch it, really i should buy a new big compressor to fill my 12 L bottle, before i get a new rifle

I dident notice this before, or rather i did not take note of it, to me it seem at least my maverick, it is shooting the best ( most flat shot curve on the chrono ) when you can hear the rear regulator work after each shot, when i dial away from that the gun dont shoot as well.

Last edited: