• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What .22 magnum break barrel should I buy?

Dude, if yar cash strapped and want reasonable power + great accuracy in .22, then check out the underlever Tech Force 97. It is also called QB36-2. It benefits from a mild tune. A little on the heavy side and the trigger is not a Weihrauch. But what a nicely made gun for not much over 130. Got mine from Bron in Poland. 

IMG_4198.1625164050.jpg

PC

I myself have experienced that also. Do you think I am better off buying a second gun or tuning my current rifle. I own a gamo hornet maxxim in .177. I can get 1/2 in. Groups at 10 yards with a less than ideal rest. I've put thousands of pellets through it and have had zero problems. Do you think I should tune my current rifle or get another one?

Well dude I'm also a guy that likes power. However in springers more power usually equates to less accuracy. The recoil is much more severe and unless you have excellent knowledge of the artillery hold its just not worth it. That being said I love the hatsan 130 in 30 cal. I use it for up to 20 or 25 yard hunting. It's pretty good but you might need to replace the breech seal if it doesn't pass the tissue test. There is one very good rifle that doesn't have the recoil sensitivity issue. It's the Diana 54 air king pro. Its receiver rides on rails and requires no special hold. I think it's the best magnum springer ever. It comes in 22 cal and is the closest you will find to Pcp accuracy in a magnum springer. If you don't care about hold sensitivity any Diana will be good and HW has a magnum model thats name is escaping me it might be the hw80 but don't hold me to that. Maybe it's time to go to the dark side and buy a pcp?

Lover my 135 and 130QE out to 40 yards. My favorite for hunting. 

I myself have experienced that also. Do you think I am better off buying a second gun or tuning my current rifle. I own a gamo hornet maxxim in .177. I can get 1/2 in. Groups at 10 yards with a less than ideal rest. I've put thousands of pellets through it and have had zero problems. Do you think I should tune my current rifle or get another one?

Me. I wouldn't tune that one, but I'm sure others would disagree. 

Their heavy after putting a scope on them, near 10 lbs or more if you do so.

Diana are around $450, AA underlevers are near $700, Weihrauch underlevers $600.

i have owned the HW77K and it shot like a laser, but it was HEAVY, i traded it for a HW95 Luxus. 

I did like it being a under lever, and may look for something lighter, but just having more metal is naturally going to be heavier.

Well the HW80 or Diana D54 or D48 will give you exceptional power in a hand basket.

But by backing off on power and settling in a moderate or above moderate level is preferable to "an all out "MAGNUM!" whether springer or PCP or that.

My last purchase in .22 was to be the HW98 but AOA was out of them and then I ordered HW35E Silver Walnut .22.

I just shot it this morning at dawn at 25 yards where I had the open sights set since adjusting to .22 JSB Jumbo Exact to hit exactly where the bead front and U notch rear sit just beneath the target at 6 O'Clock Hold.

I have more air rifles with scopes and this one has no scope. The sights are very visible with the length of the rifle and the weight to make shooting it offhand easier than a "lighter" rifle such as an HW50 which is lighter but has a different air system than the HW35E.

But a .22 Magnum can be required for certain interests and getting THAT in a PCP is the step above the HW80 or HW95/HW98/HW95L.

If you shoot around 50 yards the PCP of your choice and price range is going to satisfy. If most shots come under 45 yards then a D48 or D54 or HW80 and even the venerable HW98 can do it all with ease and without PCP nuisances.

My favorite PCP .22 was the Tarantula and then a Black Widow by FX while my favorite springers NOW in .22 are the HW80K, HW35E Silver.

One is easy to shoot all day and the other is usually overpowered for my uses.

But I can see the HW35E .22 going into the field despite its 8.4 lb weight. It has sling attachments for .75" slings if you want them; but when I am carrying the HW35E across a field it actually is held by both hands or the left or right with absolute ease. The open sights are very precise for my eyes at 25 yards. Beyond that I'd be careful of drop just because a .22 goes at lower velocity than a .177.

Kindly,

John

PS: the "cost" of getting this is high at first; but after it is done you will save more than most who end up having to replace their more economic airguns.

The more you spend on the rifle the less worry you will have in a year or 10 years from now.

Own the rifle before thinking about having the option to replace it. 

Every single rifle in my house has been kept original and are all shooting just fine since I began collecting them.

I did not waste money or time on a product that went below my own interests in air rifle shooting.

I always got the best and I have no regrets.

Kindly,

John