What 100y accuracy is needed to be competitive?

Just curious on your thoughts here. Everyone has different benchmarking and expectations.

It seems most new high end air rifles shoot pretty dang well out of the box.
Most of my rifles after tuning & pellet sorting will do about 1.5" at 100y.
Sometimes better, but I have none that will do MoA (1") on average at 100y.
My accurate rifles will do MoA at 50y consistently.

I'm talking pellets only here...no need to get into a slug discussion.

What average group size at 100y would YOU require before getting on a plane to shoot EBR or RMAC?

Thanks for weighing in!

Depends. If you know your not a Sub-MOA shooter you could still go out and have a blast competing. Just seeing how you stack up, and hoping not to finish in last place (Which is still ahead of those that didn't show up :) )

If your going for money, we'll you should probably be less than 1 MOA at 100 yards, if your thinking about winning.

Smitty

To be clear. I'm not talking about shooter capability and shooting for the wind. Strictly speaking I mean on a no wind 100y range, what average group size do you think is required to be competitive?

Gun capability only.

I don't think there are many guns out there that will consistently shoot pellets at moa at 100y. Is 1.25 moa average group size good enough?

I think these tournaments have a limited number of "seats".
So personally i would not go unless i had really high faith in my skill with the airrifle, and sadly i have always been my own biggest critic, since it was drilled into me in school that i was nothing and i would amount to nothing, and even a lifetime of proving that wrong again and again have not changed that.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: tibor and 1a2a3m4p
I think these tournaments have a limited number of "seats".
So personally i would not go unless i had really high faith in my skill with the airrifle, and sadly i have always been my own biggest critic, since it was drilled into me in school that i was nothing and i would amount to nothing, and even a lifetime of proving that wrong again and again have not changed that.
a lot of teachers use that phrase to motivate you to do better. it is not the right way to teach . IF it was other students saying that , That was just BS !

Just keep shooting and learning you can do it .

Reactions: tibor and 1a2a3m4p
Many guns are capable in perfect conditions which is pretty rare on a rifle range. One skill set that separates the men from the boys is reading the wind With a good set of flags. I’d put that skill set at the top of my list followed by the rifle, ammo and bench gear.

I'm in my second season of ARA competition and I’ve learned to practice in conditions that most competitors avoid.

A Mental Factor? one of the most important "thing" is - Winning in mind !!!
You train hard the entire year in the way the entire aim-shot-followup routine becomes subconscious = you don't aim anymore but the reticle self centers itself,
you do your homework in tuning your gun and amo for most perfection, and you can doit with closed eyes,
learn the wind and the elements and you don't even think about these things,
fitness and diet is big part of a weekend long stress, if you travel you be ready for the elements to kick in at the host site.
And you think you are ready.
But...
Couple nights before a tournament in your sleep if you don't hit the ring center - better don't go = You not ready.
I had numerus cases the other guy win by a 1=one point, not because he was a betters shooter but because he was mentally more stabile in the game.

To answer your question, I’m shooting on average 2MOA. I’m not going to spend north of $everal grand in hopes of maaaybee winning a couple of hundred dollars. That is financial ludicrously.
IMHO, smitty pretty much sums it up. I’ve shot competitively for about eight years, shot a nationals, many a GP, never podiumed but had a blast. I’ve not had the opportunity to attend an event like EBR/RMAC. This year will be my first major attending EBR 2022.
I’m only taking my equipment and a positive attitude. I’m going there to learn, see some shootin’ buds, enjoy being away from work and if I’m fortunate enough to win a set of coasters in the door prize drawing, I’m leaving with more than I brought.
I have no preconceived expectations. If I finish dead last, my family will still love me, my friends will still be my friends and I got to talk shop with fellow air gunners.
Check that box on the bucket list.

Last edited:
To answer your question, I’m shooting on average 2MOA. I’m not going to spend north of $everal grand in hopes of maaaybee winning a couple of hundred dollars. That is financial ludicrously.
IMHO, smitty pretty sums it up. I’ve shot competitively for about eight years, shot a nationals, many a GP, never podiumed but had a blast. I’ve not had the opportunity to attend an event like EBR/RMAC. This year will be my first major attending EBR 2022.
I’m only taking my equipment and a positive attitude. I’m going there to learn, see some shootin’ buds, enjoy being away from work and if I’m fortunate enough to win a set of coasters in the door prize drawing, I’m leaving with more than I brought.
I have no preconceived expectations. If I finish dead last, my family will still love me, my friends will still be my friends and I got to talk shop with fellow air gunners.
Check that box on the bucket list.

Reminds me of those folks who like to claim one or more of their airguns are "boringly accurate".

My response is always that they SHOULD enter competitions , prove it, and win some bucks! (grin)

Even at closer ranges than 100 yards, I have never had a "boringly accurate" airgun/firearm of any kind. ;)

From a pure gun performance perspective you need to be able to hit 10 all the time without wind to even be remotely competitive. The official RMAC target 9 circle is 30mm or 1.18 inch and 10 circle is 10mm or 0.4 inch and X is 5mm or 0.2. So basically the gun need to be at most 1/2 MOA to be competitive in any really competitive events.
1659329273595.png

If you sign up for the experience then who cares but is a video on how good you can be and not win still:

Not much of a betting man, but if I was... I'd put my money on a shooter who averages 1.5 moa and really has experience with wind over a fella who consistantly shoots below 1 moa on select days and is seeing the winds of EBR for the first time.

Kind Regards, Glenn in Texas
Agree 100%. What good does it do if your gun is capable of shooting MOA (or rare sub MOA)for 100 yard scoring ( not groups ); if you can’t successfully navigate wind which is always present at RMAC and EBR. I would be curious to see some other input from the regular competition BR community who attend these annual events for their insights.

OP - If your gun shoots AVERAGE MOA of 1.5”, and your BR skill and wind reading are solid, I think that scenario would be competitive. If you regularly shoot 215-220+ average scoring, those are solid cards outdoors. Agree with a prior responder, go and have fun if you are able. I think you will meet great colleagues, learn a ton and have a blast.

As an aside, I also haven’t seen many AGN threads whereby you can see representative sub MOA scoring of EBR or RMAC sized targets at an 100y indoor range ( or outdoors ) with NO wind. Plenty of posts showing sub MOA occasional groups or scoring, but “average” sub MOA? Have not seen it.

Many guns are capable in perfect conditions which is pretty rare on a rifle range. One skill set that separates the men from the boys is reading the wind With a good set of flags. I’d put that skill set at the top of my list followed by the rifle, ammo and bench gear.

I'm in my second season of ARA competition and I’ve learned to practice in conditions that most competitors avoid.
Reading wind when shooting outside it the number one key to shooting well. Hold or turret change, doesn't matter, get it right and you feel amazing, get it a little wrong and it runs away and you learn from it. I purposely shoot at times in wind, variable is even better. Yes, it's a humbling day, but each time you get better.

Reactions: tibor and tommyb
note to self: THE WIND MAKES US ALL EQUAL! Pretty much😉
From a pure gun performance perspective you need to be able to hit 10 all the time without wind to even be remotely competitive. The official RMAC target 9 circle is 30mm or 1.18 inch and 10 circle is 10mm or 0.4 inch and X is 5mm or 0.2. So basically the gun need to be at most 1/2 MOA to be competitive in any really competitive events.

If you sign up for the experience then who cares but is a video on how good you can be and not win still:

I understand directionally what you are trying to state, but I don’t think it’s realistic for anyone to hit 10’s all the time to be “even remotely” competitive, even in no wind. Thinking about this rationally, that would mean a new shooter ( to these types of competitions) would have to shoot .4“ for ALL 25 bulls to get 25 tens. Less than 1/2” ( using your measurements) for all 25 shots. Not only that but with pellets and in wind, and outdoors at 100 yards? I don’t think you intended that in your post.

There have been no winning scores in the last 5 years with any 250 or even 240 scores at either of these events. Not even close to those scores.

Shooting skill, wind reading, equipment optimally tuned, some luck, shooting lane, etc. A lot more goes into being competitive than hitting all “10’s.”

The 10 ring is roughly about the size of a pencil eraser. At 100 yards it's common for "pro" shooters to not even hit the board. Lol In many cases even with a .30 the wind may drift you more than a foot in any direction. Those that do well get into a rhythm with the wind and use the sighters, each lane from one end to the other can be very different. I'll use Claudio Flores as an example because he tends to shoot quickly and in fact won with a .22 caliber. Patagonia is one of the most windy places in the world so I think to begin he had a good advantage with practice. That particular event is scored with a .30 plug so if you can shoot well with a .22 you may have some advantage when scoring... something that would be an 8 can now become an X if that makes sense. It's a very difficult event and my advice to those looking to get involved, just try it. For myself I'm not competitive at all but did enjoy the few events I participated in.