• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

WFTF scope setup and usage help

I'm jumping into the deep end of Field Target in a couple weeks. I have a full season of Hunter class under my belt and decided to go give WFTF a shot. I'm going to participate at the Sonoran Grand Prix in a couple weeks and was going to use my Hawke Airmax but felt the ranging isn't accurate enough. I got a new scope to try. SO, my question is, are most using the high magnification to range and then turning the magnification down to shoot? Any other helpful tips on high power scope usage?

Hey OG...most of us shoot at what we range find at. Buy the most expensive scope you can afford that is a proven range finding scope. Ie; sightrons, athlons, arken, march and kahles. You can spend anywhere from 700ish to 4k on a scope. If youre shooting Hunter, you just have to have a 16x mark on whatever scope you have. It doesnt make any sense to buy a 4k march or 3k Kahles that is a 10-80x or 10-50x, if all youre going to be using in comps at 16x. Will those scopes range find better at 16x than a 500 dollar scope? maybe, maybe not. Take a look at what guys like Phillip Hepler and Scott Hull and other Hunter guys are using, and go from there. Watch some of Phillip's videos (Deadeye on youtube) videos. Theres alot of good info there to help you out. ....BC

OG, one more thing...if youre lucky enough to live near Ashland OR, youve got Wayne Burns' FT and Ext FT range there. Wayne is years and years of shooting knowledge, and a ton of fun to be around. He and Randy and Jason and the guys are fun to hang out with and shoot alongside...
Thanks BC! I'm dipping my toe into the WFTF arena with great ignorance and excitement. I got a Athlon Heras 15-60x56 and am setting up ranges. So far it seems snappy and repeatable. The only draw back will be the thinish reticle. I made it to Ashland twice last summer and learned a ton from all who attended.

Jason OG

Reactions: cavedweller
You will get use to ranging on whatever power you feel comfortable with. That being said I have a 80x March and range and shoot with that magnification. In darker settings such as overcast skies or low light areas you will have to turn the magnification down to let more light in your scope. Typically I won't turn it down past 50x though. The higher magnification the more accurate your ranging should be.

You will get use to ranging on whatever power you feel comfortable with. That being said I have a 80x March and range and shoot with that magnification. In darker settings such as overcast skies or low light areas you will have to turn the magnification down to let more light in your scope. Typically I won't turn it down past 50x though. The higher magnification the more accurate your ranging should be.
Holy cow, 80?! You must stand like a statue!🤣 Well, I'm going to try 40 and see how I do. Coming from the world of 16x and into unlimited magnification is foreign. But differentiating 52 yards from 55 is kinda nice!

Holy cow, 80?! You must stand like a statue!🤣 Well, I'm going to try 40 and see how I do. Coming from the world of 16x and into unlimited magnification is foreign. But differentiating 52 yards from 55 is kinda nice!
Ditto. If I could hold 80x without sustaining motion sickness, I’d be a far better shooter.

Hardly the case but you would be surprised what you get use to when you have the tools to do it. Off hand I'm in and out of the KZ but when I'm mostly in it's go time! And yes shooting WFTF or open class you most likely will know the range...the hard part is wind of course and dealing with awkward shooting positions at times without and aids. Your first few matches will likely be rough until you get a solid seating position figured out but the more you do it the easier it gets. At least that was the case for me.