• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

WFTF Rules guidance

Question for knowledgeable WFTF shooters.

Short version - Are the WFTF Rules updated each year to include any changes made by the committee at the new World’s Championship venue?

Long version ….. and reason for asking

I plan on shooting the World’s scheduled to be held in Arizona this year and I have been reviewing the online rule book from The WFTF website (Competition Rules-2021 Edition) dated on most pages as July 13, 2015.

https://www.world-field-target-federation.org/rules

A few years ago I injured my right knee (tear of a meniscus) and had a fracture of one of the bones. My Orthopedic Doctor advised surgery as the meniscus does not heal itself. Not wanting to have surgery I have been living with it.

For the last few years I have used the below cited rule in the AAFTA Rule Book (AAFTA Official Field Target Rules Revised: December 8, 2022)

AAFTA 2023
The following section:

WFTF Division Rules/ Forced Shooting Positions/ Kneeling
KNEELING
There shall be only 3 points of contact with the ground (2 feet and 1 knee). The gun must be…….

“A. An allowance for additional padding to fit between the thigh & the calf/foot can be requested from the Match Director prior to the start of a match. The pad cannot be larger than a legal-size kneeling roll. It will (be) at the Match Director’s discretion to accept or deny any request.”

AAFTA RULES
https://www.aafta.org/uploads/1/2/7/6/127666620/2023_aafta_official_field_target_rules.pdf

Currently, the WFTF Rules do not address this issue. I have never had a Match Director deny my request. Not wanting to bother Garrett as he has his hands full, I’m sure.

Thanks for any guidance.

Last edited:
I am with you, busted up knees and ask for permission for thigh roll which so far has always been granted... with a warning to others that is only if you really need it. So it is presented as an advantage which may or may not be true depending on shooter.
AAFTA should make it available to any shooter, just like ankle roll, no permission required and no potential advantage afforded to particular shooters. OR disallow it entirely.

Waiting to hear what WFTF does with this common disability.

I am with you, busted up knees and ask for permission for thigh roll which so far has always been granted... with a warning to others that is only if you really need it. So it is presented as an advantage which may or may not be true depending on shooter.
AAFTA should make it available to any shooter, just like ankle roll, no permission required and no potential advantage afforded to particular shooters. OR disallow it entirely.

Waiting to hear what WFTF does with this common disability.

Thanks Thane. Misery loves company lol. Hopefully someone from WFTF will address our concerns.

If your asking if enough pad can be placed as to create somewhat of a seat between ones calf & thigh .... which would have you nearly 1/2 butt cheek seated and able to relax on said padding .... No that would not be legal, or fair & likely would cause a protest.
Folks simply love to do kneeling wrong because it is easier for some.
Sideways foot sitting on it ... WRONG
Now resting ones butt on the heel of foot as is allowed gives support and not being able too, can not be replaced by a pad allowing similar sitting pressure to be supported elsewhere. Ankle roll UNDER the shin help minimize toe bend or knee being hard against ground pending placement.

Just opinion ...

Reactions: qball
If your asking if enough pad can be placed as to create somewhat of a seat between ones calf & thigh .... which would have you nearly 1/2 butt cheek seated and able to relax on said padding .... No that would not be legal, or fair & likely would cause a protest.
Now resting ones butt on the heel of foot as is allowed gives support and not being able too, can not be replaced by a pad allowing similar sitting pressure to be supported elsewhere. Ankle roll UNDER the shin help minimize toe bend or knee being hard against ground pending placement.

Just opinion ...
But? They can always shoot offhand?

Since this is a WFTF question and the world rules are likely the final answer, I doubt that AAFTA or AAFTA rules has anything to do with it. But since we’re throwing out our opinions about the extra roll between the calf and butt, I’ll throw my opinion in the mix. I do think using 2 rolls, one below the calf and one above creates a much more stable shooting position not much different than sitting on a seat. If anyone is allowed to use it then everyone should be allowed. Of course that would mean you have effectively changed the rules for kneeling. While Im 100% sure we can’t rely on everyone to self report whether they really have a valid need for it, I do understand some have range of motion issues. So my solution would be to allow the use of one roll and each person gets to decide if they want it under the shin or over, but definitely not both.

Reactions: qball

Just opinion ...
The problem is over flexing the knee joint that is injured already. Thats why, with MD approval AAFTA allows a pad/roll between the heel and buttocks area. It keeps the knee from over stretching the meniscus and causing more damage. I know standing is always an option but I’m a pretty good kneeling lane shooter and just want to use all legal options to shoot from that position. Prior to my injury I used a normal, under the shin/ankle roll with great success, keeping my foot upright and resting my butt on the heel of my boot.

Since this is a WFTF question and the world rules are likely the final answer, I doubt that AAFTA or AAFTA rules has anything to do with it. But since we’re throwing out our opinions about the extra roll between the calf and butt, I’ll throw my opinion in the mix. I do think using 2 rolls, one below the calf and one above creates a much more stable shooting position not much different than sitting on a seat. If anyone is allowed to use it then everyone should be allowed. Of course that would mean you have effectively changed the rules for kneeling. While Im 100% sure we can’t rely on everyone to self report whether they really have a valid need for it, I do understand some have range of motion issues. So my solution would be to allow the use of one roll and each person gets to decide if they want it under the shin or over, but definitely not both.
Anyone can claim the need ... But to be fair, if said pads aid someone who can't do as the majority of shooters do using standard class aids in a specific manor, it becomes a crutch that likely will be viewed as an advantage. Unless EVERYONE can use the proposed additional support, it simply is not fair and is NOT a truly even playing field. IMO :cautious:

There are no provision in the WFTC for physical, or mental disabilities. In England, one of my squad mates had a gimp arm. He never asked for help, nor was afforded any special consideration by the organizers.

Another kneeling rule to consider is that you back foot Must be visible. No peice of clothing or equipment may obscure it. If your jacket or sweat towel cover up tge foot, you'll need to work out a way to clear it up.

WFTF rules are world wide and pretty clean on what you can do but doesn’t have exemptions. However, how the rules are enforced at the match might be up to interpretation. BUT if you want to go to an official Word sanctioned match the rules would be strictly enforced which means you will be at a disadvantage or DQ.

personally I shoot for fun so don’t pay too much attention to all the dang rules but I don’t have high aspirations.

WFTF, does have some flexibility but the current written rules must be consistent for all nations, wherever the host competition is.

Personally I can't shoot ft competition any more, physical limitations and rules. It's life.

Plenty satisfaction to be had marshalling, helping out, assisting non locals etc.

Then the social aspect. 🙂

Apparently you have to obtain permission to shoot standing in a designated kneeling lane and permission to mark misses in standing lane?

WFTF Rules 2021 (current):
>>DISABLED SHOOTERS

4.4.1 Shooters that cannot, for whatever PHYSICAL OR MEDICAL REASON, comply with a particular shooting position or transport their own equipment shall inform the Chief Marshal 24 hour before commencement of a match, and obtain permission to use an alternative position or obtain permission to have an aid for transporting their equipment safely, providing that no unfair advantage is gained.

4.4.2 All Marshalls shall be made aware of such arrangement.

4.4.3 The allowed alternative positions are:
a. Alternative to Kneeling Position is standing.
b. Alternative to Standing Position is not available (each target counts as a missed target).<<

What he said…AAFTA has no control. Shooters will follow WFTF rules.
Roger That! I figured that AAFTA would not have input. Just trying to figure out if the WFTF World rules are updated before every Worlds event or if current rules prevail. I’ll keep my stretching going to see how it works for me. Or else really start practicing my standing. 🤣

Thanks for all the input to those who commented. See ya on the lanes.

Gary

There are no new proposals for rule changes for WFTF that I am aware of. I am the USA rep to WFTF and do the voting for the USA on proposed rule changes.
If you cannot kneel, you can stand, as previously mentioned. Also mentioned was when kneeling the foot must be vertically oriented and visible.
If you wear a long coat just tuck it under your heel.
Also be aware that there is no off hand stand to range from. You can sit to range, then stand to shoot or just range standing, which is what most shooters do. If you elect to sit to range be aware you are on the timer (3 min for 2 shots). Which ever way you choose be sure to practice it.
There are usually 5 forced position lanes each day. One course will have 2 kneeling and 3 standing lanes, another 3 kneeling and 2 standing. (Remember only two shots per lane).
I will put together a list of differences between AAFTA’s WFTF class and Worlds WFTF, send it to the clubs and post it here.
Please feel free to message me with any questions or concerns.