• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

WFTF Piston Class

Just curious to see how many piston guys here shoot piston class UNDER 11fpe with a springer. I'm concidering using my TX200 but at 10.3fpe I'm afraid its a hair under powered. The logical side of my brain is telling me "Dude, its only 30-50fps slower than max" but my caveman brain keeps telling me "More power is gooder!"

Thoughts?

I have my LGU, TX200HC and HW97K all under 11 FPE approximately 10.5 FPE- 750 fps with 8.4 grain pellets. More gentle shot cycle for better accuracy and easier to cock. Had the good results with less power.
Good to hear. I'm running 740fps right now with 8.4s and like you said, the shot cycle is buttery smooth

Reactions: MattSawyer
I’d like to tune my TX200 to similar power levels, so I’m curious to know how much of an issue does that 30-50 fps become at the 50 yard distances. ChairGun app says that going from 800 to 750fps at 8.4 grain results in an additional 6/10 of an inch drop or 3.94 inches total and the power drops to 6 FPE at target. Is that enough FPE to reliably drop the targets?

-Marty

I’d like to tune my TX200 to similar power levels, so I’m curious to know how much of an issue does that 30-50 fps become at the 50 yard distances. ChairGun app says that going from 800 to 750fps at 8.4 grain results in an additional 6/10 of an inch drop or 3.94 inches total and the power drops to 6 FPE at target. Is that enough FPE to reliably drop the targets?

-Marty
Ever so slightly loopier of a trajectory. I was running mine closer to 780fps so I'm only talking about 0.4" of additional drop at 50yds with a 30yd zero. Pretty miniscule concidering the gun certainly feels better and is less hold sensitive. I'm pretty convinced at this point that dropping it down is the right call.

Reactions: MattSawyer
A very close FT friend ( Cameron K ) shoots an AA TX-200 HC using the UK Tony Leech reduced bore / stroke kit at just @ 11 ft lbs with very good success.
This to the degree he is on the USA WFTF Piston squad for this years Worlds in Italy.
Cam is s great guy and and actually was the one who got me into FT to begin with!

A very close FT friend ( Cameron K ) shoots an AA TX-200 HC using the UK Tony Leech reduced bore / stroke kit at just @ 11 ft lbs with very good success.
This to the degree he is on the USA WFTF Piston squad for this years Worlds in Italy.
I was headed in the same direction but Tony isn’t taking any new orders at this time. In a desperate attempt to get some practice this summer with a sub 12 fpe gun I tried to turn a new delrin spring guide and now I’m deciding how many coils to chop, hopefully I don’t chop too much :oops: This sport has a way of finding my wallet and emptying it.

-Marty:rolleyes:

I have my LGU, TX200HC and HW97K all under 11 FPE approximately 10.5 FPE- 750 fps with 8.4 grain pellets. More gentle shot cycle for better accuracy and easier to cock. Had the good results with less power.
Leo is being modest. 3rd in THE WORLDS a few years ago so he knows what works. He beat almost everyone at the PA FT championship a few years back with a broken spring. Lol

Reactions: Sqwirl57
Yes Leo finished 4th at the 2019 Worlds I believe . I think he knows what he is saying lol. And both he and Matt are good friends of mine.
Definitely a good bunch of people around here! Will you be shooting FTRPA in a couple of weeks? I think I may have missed one but I'm definitely looking forward to the upcoming one!

had my HW97k tuned to 11.6 shoots nice now . would be interesting to see if i could tell any difference shooting a 10.6 tuned one ?
If you keep shooting it on a daily basis, your power level will eventually reduce as the spring settles down and gets incrementally shorter and finally breaks.
Springs loose strength, break and needs replacement. That's typical springer reality.