WestHunter Optics, new scope and adjustable rings on Amazon

So, I was on the market for a lighter optic with good magnification to use on a .177 Dreamline Tactical. After reading this thread, and because I had good luck using the WestHunter rings (especially the adjustable ones), I decided to pull the trigger on the WestHunter 4-16 FFP. I got a great deal on Amazon with the scope, side wheel, rings, a magnification lever and a sunshade for around $160.

It arrived in a couple of days, and I mounted it on the rifle and set about sighting it in.

I started in my basement two evenings ago. The first thing I learned is that the minimum parallax/focus is 15 yards, and that’s right on the edge for my shooting area. However by adjusting the eyepiece I could get a crisp picture of the target as well as of the reticle, especially between 4X and 12X. 14X was OK and 16X was a little blurry (again, because I have just 15 yards. The wind age and elevation turrets seemed to work as they should. It cam shooting very low, but had tons of adjustments so I was able to click up on the elevation dial and get it sighted in.

Yesterday I took it outside to try it out at 25 and 50 yards. Wow. It was essentially perfect. The parallax adjustment was fine and the sight picture was crisp at all magnifications. I really like the reticle, especially the central dot, rather than a cross, for the aim point. I didn’t do a complete box test on the elevation and windage turrets, but I had no difficulty adjusting these to deliver my desired match between POI and POA. Similarly, after sighting in at 25 yards there was no trouble adjusting to be dead on at 50 yards, then going back to 25.

So, bottom line, I really like this scope. Is it as good as my Athlon Helos Gen2 6-24, my Athlon Aeres, or my Crimson Trace Series 5? No. But it only cost $165 or so, including rings, a side wheel and a screw in sunshade. I wasn’t looking for a top tier scope (and yes, I know my Helos is not a top tier like a March). I was looking for “cheap & cheerful” and I got more than my money’s worth. It would have been an OK deal at $300 and a good deal at $265. At $165 it is a screaming deal. I’m probably gonna pick another one up to throw on one of my .22 rim fires or one of my center fire rifles that needs an upgrade from a cheap 3-9.

Chris

new scopes on Amazon, WestHunter Optics, prices are reasonable and review are good for a FFP side AO scope, also the Adjustable rings seem to be well made and priced right, I ordered both 4-16x44 scope and 2 sets of adjustable rings, to see how good these are.

anyone else have this scope and rings?

https://www.amazon.com/WestHunter-R...641355&sprefix=4-16x44+scopes,aps,296&sr=8-10

https://www.amazon.com/WestHunter-Adjustable-Picatinny-Tactical-Precision/dp/B08MDXMHXW

check out the store....

https://www.amazon.com/stores/WestHunter/page/D6C747C0-A66C-46B7-8826-5A550EF8FB36?ref_=ast_bln

View attachment 159598

View attachment 159614
My Westhunter ffp scope was a terrible experience. My issue was in the turrets. Neither the elevation nor windage range of adjustment were enough. I returned the scope and got a replacement. I had the same issue with the replacement. I ended up having to shim the back ring to get the elevation I needed.

i have 7 westhunter scopes and they do have limited turret range which taught me actually to pay attention to how i was mounting it and that i did in fact have some 'cheeze' rings in my collection .. if theyre mounted straight in the first place there wont be a problem, checking a scopes alignment with the barrel by eye is generally good enough, goes for any scope .. elevation 'droop' issues are common with airguns anyway and a shim on the rear saddle, at least an extra piece of tape, is usually needed to put it close to optical center to start, with any airgun .. meanwhile back at the farm, ive found the westhunter 'double screw' color anodized rings are really good, and the way they sell the scopes as 'kits' almost, you have to pay attention to the pics closesly to see what your actually getting, because if you choose the wrong option theyre gonna send you a set of, you guessed it, cheeze rings lol .. also ebay is your best bet for these scopes, direct from westhunter, not a regurgitated amazon special .. the 16ffp is their flagship model imo and is the best followed by the NONilluminated 24 .. the 3x12 is the worst, the utg is better ...