• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Westhunter any good ?

I currently have three 3-12 Westhunter WHT scopes. The very first one I purchased last year is FFP and the current two are in SFP. I bought a 3-12 HD version back in the January and promptly sent it back for a refund due to tighter eyebox and less than ideal eye relief. That one has a minimum parallax setting at 15yds whereas the WHT version is at 10yds. The only good thing is the HD version has both red and green illumination.

HD

VjB2B53.jpg

WHT

KqKZYDY.jpg

YlCGlsZ.jpg

I personally found the Westhunter HD 3-12 FFP to be junk and is honestly what you pay for. It was mounted on my AEA HP SS in 22. The 12x isn't truly 12x in comparison to other scopes I own (Athlon, SWFA and Element). Turret tracking wasn't good and it failed to hold zero after a few weeks of shooting.

I guess if you were to zero and leave it alone, you may be fine. However if you like to dial your dope or corrections, look elsewhere.

If you want an indestructible scope, excellent clarity, lifetime warranty…

… SWFA has their fixed power SWFA SS scopes on sale now for $219 (July 4th sale). You can get 6X, 10x, 12X, 16x or 20X. The classic military issue 10X (or 6X) sounds about the right mag for your purpose.

IMG_2441.png

Reactions: bcsquared
I personally found the Westhunter HD 3-12 FFP to be junk and is honestly what you pay for. It was mounted on my AEA HP SS in 22. The 12x isn't truly 12x in comparison to other scopes I own (Athlon, SWFA and Element). Turret tracking wasn't good and it failed to hold zero after a few weeks of shooting.

I guess if you were to zero and leave it alone, you may be fine. However if you like to dial your dope or corrections, look elsewhere.
While I wouldn’t call it “junk” it is a lower tier scope. Mine has been great for what I use it for, pesting and plinking. I do not dial the turrets, I use holdovers.

There seems to be a bunch of similar scopes made out of the same factory when you look at these compact 3-12 products. I have the discovery vt sfp and am actually surprised at the image quality it makes. The only difference it appears is cosmetic differences and maybe lense coatings. Vector veyron is another that makes the same scope. I have plenty of japanese glass that blows these out of the water for brightness but when you only need to shoot under 40-50 yards, these little scopes get the job done.

Reactions: L.Leon
Patsfan,
Use the 6-24x50 FFP on my Airacuda Max, used to reside on my MK3 Wildcat Sniper, a combination that sent many crows to the hereafter. Turret adjustments are tops, precise and smooth, very nice reticle, just can't get past the blurry edge focus. Center is clear, not the brightest, but sharp, around the edges, blurry images. Reminds me of the sight picture of early scopes from my youth. Last four scope purchases have been Vector Veyrons, using WestHunter adjustable mounts, a winning combo, IMO. WM
i have a konus pro which and i use a snowpeak p35 .22 putting 10 pellets in less than 1 cm group in 50 meters but this scope keeps needing readjust every now and then...
i saw your scope combo and wanted to ask you some further details about it. They have the same price veyron and west hunter i checked. Tell me your opinion please. I am a set and forget kinda guy, with both 30 meters up to 120-150 long pest shots... thanks

i have a konus pro which and i use a snowpeak p35 .22 putting 10 pellets in less than 1 cm group in 50 meters but this scope keeps needing readjust every now and then...
i saw your scope combo and wanted to ask you some further details about it. They have the same price veyron and west hunter i checked. Tell me your opinion please. I am a set and forget kinda guy, with both 30 meters up to 120-150 long pest shots... thanks
Own 6 Vector Veyrons but don't use 4-12 power as too low for 50-yard dime-size circles. Of nine PCPs, 5 wear Vector Veyron 4-24x44, guess you could say I'm impressed. Edge to edge clear, bright image, super-subcompact size and smooth functioning make this scope choice a no-brainer. All non-IR, FFP, but last two, purchased from Krale (Netherlands). SFP, 6-shade red center dot IR and MPR V-10 reticle for $181, $211, to-my-door, just blew me away. Here's the WestHunter low mount cantilever with a Vector Veyron on an AGT gun, short scope makes eye relief hard on AGTs, WestHunter solves it. WM
IMG_20221127_211212 (1).jpg

Reactions: thanos89
Own 6 Vector Veyrons but don't use 4-12 power as too low for 50-yard dime-size circles. Of nine PCPs, 5 wear Vector Veyron 4-24x44, guess you could say I'm impressed. Edge to edge clear, bright image, super-subcompact size and smooth functioning make this scope choice a no-brainer. All non-IR, FFP, but last two, purchased from Krale (Netherlands). SFP, 6-shade red center dot IR and MPR V-10 reticle for $181, $211, to-my-door, just blew me away. Here's the WestHunter low mount cantilever with a Vector Veyron on an AGT gun, short scope makes eye relief hard on AGTs, WestHunter solves it. WMView attachment 417377
Thanks for replying WorriedMan, im new to forum so i double thank you.
i have a bunch of questions
Why you own so many ffp and then you purchases an sfp? i believe the ffp are better, i want your opinion too. I mostly hunt but to some target shooting aswell.
Plus why you had no IR and now you have?

Scopes,so many options and opinions.I have so many, scopes, also a WestHunter,I think it may be good for the money.$120.I will also say there are many other brands in about that price range just as good, like Barra and Hawke, Vantage.Look for the qualities you want,for me it is lightweight,good eye relief,mil-dots, and built quality with good support. Yes ,the Westhunter is good for the price,a litlle more, and a lower tier Sightron is better as is a good used Nikon.
I forgot to mention Discovery scopes, some are too heavy, and some are very nice for what you need. You can get them fairly easily. Comparing the Westhunter to my Discover of about the same price, Westhunter is smaller,ligthter and good enough, while the Discovery has better glass,so for sitting it is better
Ok, I think you would be happy with the Westhunter,I threw all those other scopes in for variety,"'Variety is the Spice of Life".And confusion is political.:love:

Reactions: thanos89
Scopes,so many options and opinions.I have so many, scopes, also a WestHunter,I think it may be good for the money.$120.I will also say there are many other brands in about that price range just as good, like Barra and Hawke, Vantage.Look for the qualities you want,for me it is lightweight,good eye relief,mil-dots, and built quality with good support. Yes ,the Westhunter is good for the price,a litlle more, and a lower tier Sightron is better as is a good used Nikon.
I forgot to mention Discovery scopes, some are too heavy, and some are very nice for what you need. You can get them fairly easily. Comparing the Westhunter to my Discover of about the same price, Westhunter is smaller,ligthter and good enough, while the Discovery has better glass,so for sitting it is better
Ok, I think you would be happy with the Westhunter,I threw all those other scopes in for variety,"'Variety is the Spice of Life".And confusion is political.:love:
i do believe than aswell but i jsut wanted to hear an opinion of an ffp and sfp user. I have an sfp but moving to ffp with the east not to guess anymore :p

Thanks for replying WorriedMan, im new to forum so i double thank you.
i have a bunch of questions
Why you own so many ffp and then you purchases an sfp? i believe the ffp are better, i want your opinion too. I mostly hunt but to some target shooting aswell.
Plus why you had no IR and now you have?
Your double welcome, many helped me, glad to return the favor. Bought three 6-24x44 VVs from Optics Warehouse (UK). Least expensive version was non-IR, FFP, which I had no problem with. To-my-door price jumped from $196 to $260 based on Royal Postal Service price hikes, plus, IMO, greedy seller. Wanted a few more of the same but price was too high. Stumbled upon some @ Krale (Netherlands) Optic Department which were IR, SFP, with an awesome MPR V-10 reticle included for $181, $211 to-my-door. Satisfied with Optics Warehouse offerings, thrilled with Krale. Vulcan 3 .30 (700mm) wears Krale version for long distance shooting (MPR V-10 reticle) and FX M3 wears Krale for nighttime pest control (6-shade red center dot IR.) Visit Krale Optics Department and check out the reticle choices for VV, MPR V-10 is no extra charge for $181 version. WM