Westhunter any good ?

Best bang for the buck. I have 4-16×44, 1.2-6×24, and a 5-24×50. The 4-16×44 are about the equal to a 4-14. Decent glass. I am a set and forget guy and no issues. I change power and parallax often with no issues.

20230119_133354.jpg

20221031_141431.jpg

20230121_165629.jpg

20230111_195233.jpg

I do have an athlon talos 4-14×44 and also a Sig 4-14×44 both are about the same. The sig is probably the clearest glass of all 3 brands and uses light the best. So if that is a 10 base just at the price point (about double the westhunters) i would give the westhinter 9/10 in comparison for a budget scope battle. There are plenty of nicer ones out there for more money, but if you not in competition I wouldnt worry. My .177 evanix kills cans out to 150yds no problem with the 4-16×44 and mildots. Challenger pro is easy moa out to 150 as well with the 6-24×50. I may have gotten lucky with these, but happy so far. I have received other highend scopes that did not perform as well aslo in past deals.

I do have an athlon talos 4-14×44 and also an Sig 4-14×44 both are about the same. The sig is probably the clearest glass of all 3 brands and uses light the best. So if that is a 10 base just at the price point (about double the westhunters) i would give the westhinter 9/10 in comparison for a budget scope battle. There are plenty of nicer ones out there for more money, but if you not in competition I wouldnt worry. My .177 evanix kills cans out to 150yds no problem with the 4-16×44 and mildots. Challenger pro is easy moa out to 150 as well with the 6-24×50. I may have gotten lucky with these, but happy so far. I have received other highend scopes that did not perform as well aslo in past deals.
Just a back yard target shooter and the occasional pest control…

Patsfan,
Use the 6-24x50 FFP on my Airacuda Max, used to reside on my MK3 Wildcat Sniper, a combination that sent many crows to the hereafter. Turret adjustments are tops, precise and smooth, very nice reticle, just can't get past the blurry edge focus. Center is clear, not the brightest, but sharp, around the edges, blurry images. Reminds me of the sight picture of early scopes from my youth. Last four scope purchases have been Vector Veyrons, using WestHunter adjustable mounts, a winning combo, IMO. WM

Patsfan,
Use the 6-24x50 FFP on my Airacuda Max, used to reside on my MK3 Wildcat Sniper, a combination that sent many crows to the hereafter. Turret adjustments are tops, precise and smooth, very nice reticle, just can't get past the blurry edge focus. Center is clear, not the brightest, but sharp, around the edges, blurry images. Reminds me of the sight picture of early scopes from my youth. Last four scope purchases have been Vector Veyrons, using WestHunter adjustable mounts, a winning combo, IMO. WM
Thank you for the info..and I’m with you don’t think I could deal with blurry edges..I’m going to check out these vector veyrons..

Reactions: Racenviper
well for really short range walnut tree defense id say get a fixed 4x, i like my gamo .. westhunters arnt high end but the ret is nice and clarity is just fine ' on the ffp's ' anyway .. the main factors that concern me are eyebox and how fast that baby lights up ole fluffy nuts with a full sight picture and also how its gonna respond to zero'ing .. the 4-16 is the best and to my eyes its quite an impressive scope ... things to know are the turrets are not set up for alot of twisting so mounting near to its optical center or neutral point is pretty critical for best results and the other models, that eyebox .. thats where i dont like them near as much, the larger scopes are too sensitive to eye placement and the smaller ones have too little sight picture, but thats where most most cheap scopes are with things .. but again, to me, the 4-16 ffp is goodness all around for the money .. along with the westhunter 'dual post' anodized rings its a kickas setup for an all around pest execution/plinking rig ....

Thank you for the info..and I’m with you don’t think I could deal with blurry edges..I’m going to check out these vector veyrons..
It's possible a smaller objective lens, like a 40, instead of 50, might not have blurry edges, I can only speak to the 50. Vector Veyrons are super compact, lightweight and quality built. Most importantly, glass is clear and bright. I've purchased (3) of the 6-24x44 FFP (non-IR) from Optics Warehouse (UK), most recent, $261 to my door. Picture shows mounted with WestHunter mounts on Uragan. WH mounts allow proper eye relief while sitting evenly on scope. WM
IMG_20221127_211212 (1).jpg

Reactions: Patsfan23
I have my fancy target scopes for long ranges, I just need something - relatively inexpensive and relatively good - to aim up on the tree branches from below. Otherwise I have a green laser but that needs some tinkering for estimates.
You might try a Hawke 4x32 A O. P.A has them for for about 120.00. It will focus down to 10 yards. For 50 yards or under, they are hard to beat.

Reactions: Headshots
My Athlon Talos 6-24 will focus down to 8 yards. My Vector Sentinel 8-32x50 will not focus down to 10 yards like it's supposed to. The Sentinel is a cheaper line than a Veyron, I think. So they may be different. Not sure how low my Hawke Vantage 2-7 on my Prod will go but it's pretty low and would be first choice for close range tree rats. My other favorite guns are bullpups and thus harder to use for close range because the scope is so far above the bore.

I have a West Hunter on my Avenger, I think it is the 4-16 FFP. I think it fits the Avenger well. Both give you a lot of features for the price. I am also a little leery of the quality of both but so far they work well.

I have my fancy target scopes for long ranges, I just need something - relatively inexpensive and relatively good - to aim up on the tree branches from below. Otherwise I have a green laser but that needs some tinkering for estimates.
I considered a Westhunter and Sniper in 3-12 for my P-rod but both only parallax down to 15Y and I need 10Y for barn pesting.

I dont know my zero is about 80 yards an im maxed out shooting too high yup not to low too high its set up to shoot 200 yards with 27 fpe crossman pellet I was hitting 143 yards an not even opticaly centered had tons of clicks so its 250 yards max probably with 25-28 foot pounds. What can I do im only set to the minimum setting on the westhunters an it gives like 150 moa or something..