WestHunter Adjustable Scope Rings - Formula to calculate how much they adjust

I have them and while yes they are technically adjustable I don’t really see how they can be adjusted any other way than each ring at the same height or very close. IE you really can’t tilt the scope without damaging when you tighten it from what I see. This isn’t what I really think of with adj rings. Must say I’m not impressed personally.
I just bought some more off amazon 29 to door with tax good deal its modern machining good quality reasonable price.

I experimented with a set of these rings.
I believe these rings are not intended to be adjustable for angle.
Only hight.
I actually milled off the serrations on the lower ring. About .005” off each side. Then I was able to make them adjustable for angle.
As far as zeroing my scope.
I use the mirror method to optically center the cross hairs. Then shoot on paper at 10 yards to adjust windage. Then move out to my zeroing distance. Again shooting at a large pice of paper. Move the scope to get the elevation as close to bullseye. Tighten rings and fine tune with scope turrets.
I’m not doing all that math.

Only hight.
I actually milled off the serrations on the lower ring. About .005” off each side. Then I was able to make them adjustable for angle.
I use the mirror method to optically center the cross hairs. Then shoot on paper at 10 yards to adjust windage. Then move out to my zeroing distance. Again shooting at a large pice of paper. Move the scope to get the elevation as close to bullseye. Tighten rings and fine tune with scope turrets.
Well you can angle em you just have to kinda mount the scope rings to scope before you mount the rings to the rail so one ring can sit a tiny bit lower/higher on the rail its self an that cant damage scope tube. In the pic you can actually see one ring sits just a tiny bit higher than the other on the rail its self.

fds.jpg

Only hight.
just 1 notch gives you a dumb amount like 130 moa or something my .22 blitz is shooting a bit high I only got 30 clicks before I max out on elevation its zeroed at 20 yards I think 1 notch should put me towards the start that way I can push way out there.

Hello everyone.

I wanted to "reach out" with my 2240, so I had to know how much adjustment I had on my turrets. This gun has a Hawke Vantage 4-16x50 scope that has an elevation turret range of 80MOA, or 320 clicks. My gun was zeroed at 50 yards, and it ended up being 239 clicks, or 59.75MOA adjustment, so I was almost out and needed to change over to adjustable rings. I got these from WestHunter. So now I am wondering how much to cant my scope to get it in range. Here is a link to a discussion on AccurateShooter forum and they discuss how to calculate it. My take-away from this is that there are four numbers that we are working with:
0.000291 = Constant
Distance Between Rings in Inches
Desired MOA Adjustment
Difference between rings in height

Formula:
Constant x Distance between Rings x Desired MOA adjustment = Difference between Rings in height

So, for example, if your rings are 4" apart, and you want a 20MOA adjustment, you do the following:
0.000291 x 4 x 20 = 0.023" in between the rings

My original rings had a shim in the back that was 0.019" thick. Reversing this formula we get:
0.019/(0.000291 x 4) = 16.32MOA, so my shim was giving me just over 16MOA of cant

So, I was adjusted up 59.75MOA on the turret, and had an additional 16.32MOA from the shim, so my scope was adjusted 76.07MOA to get zeroed at 50 yards.

Now, back to the WestHunter rings. They have six positions that they can be adjusted to, and this moves the ring up by 0.248", but there is 0.002" of "slop" in the adjustment, so I will use 0.250" because it is a nice round number.
0.250" / 6 positions = 0.04167" per adjustment

The calculation for each adjustment is:
0.04167 / (0.000291 x 4) = 35.7989MOA or (basically) 36MOA per adjustment

If I adjust it up two positions, it will give me 72MOA of adjustment, which means that when I adjust my turret all the way to the bottom, it will be zeroed somewhere just shy of 50 yards. I very frequently zero this gun in at 25 yards, so two positions will be too much for my usual shooting scenario, so I will only raise it one position. This ultimately means that my adjustment went from 16MOA to 36MOA, so I will have more than doubled my adjustment by going from the shim to the adjustable rings.

I have a few different versions of these adjustable rings, so I'll plan to put a caliper on them too, to see if the adjustment per position is basically the same, but they all operate the same, so I don't expect much of a difference.

I'm an engineering nerd, so this stuff is fascinating to me. I hope that it helps some of my airgunning brethren. Even if you just take my word for it, you now know that each adjustment of these adjustable rings gives you about 36MOA of adjustment when the rings are 4" apart.

Cheers!

Jonathan
Seems like too much thought, math and complication. Run that scope down to the bottom, then back it off 10-20 clicks. Shoot a medium weight projectile at a target say 50 yards away then adjust the scope rings to set your crosshairs where the pellet hit. That will leave you nearly all of your upwards adjustment for long range or heavier ammo.

Everyone’s requirements are going to be a little bit different. I would use these rings again. With my modifications. Depending on the application.
This gun groups very well at 15 yards or less. But beyond that the group’s open up quickly. So due to the close range I needed a lot of adjustment.
IMG-6189.png

Chinese B3-F underlever
IMG-6006.jpg

Reactions: SkeeterHawk
Run that scope down to the bottom, then back it off 10-20 clicks
As my post states, that was where I started and discovered that the turrets wouldn't do the job. I went to adjustable rings to improve my chances of "reaching out", and hence, my research to discover how much they help. I hope that my research will help when you get to a point that you need to do something beyond the clicks on your turrets. (y)

Reactions: .20calguy
As my post states, that was where I started and discovered that the turrets wouldn't do the job. I went to adjustable rings to improve my chances of "reaching out", and hence, my research to discover how much they help. I hope that my research will help when you get to a point that you need to do something beyond the clicks on your turrets. (y)
That’s some great info. Thanks. Quick question, are the mounts labelled for the front and rear?
Thanks in advance.
DN

I have them and while yes they are technically adjustable I don’t really see how they can be adjusted any other way than each ring at the same height or very close. IE you really can’t tilt the scope without damaging when you tighten it from what I see. This isn’t what I really think of with adj rings. Must say I’m not impressed personally.
I agree, l bought a set and realized they don't tilt like the Sportsmatch. You can adjust the scope height but both rings need to be at the same height. I milled the grooves off so they will tilt without damaging the scope tube. I drilled and taped the rings to lock the adjustment after tilting. Technically an adjustable scope ring but not a droop adjustable scope ring. Don

Reactions: Trucker3573
Quick question, are the mounts labelled for the front and rear?
Thank you! No, they are both exactly the same.

You can adjust the scope height but both rings need to be at the same height.
You can offset them by two notches, and as long as previously stated that you tighten down the set screw for the adjustment last, the rings will "cant" a little to account for the angle in the scope. I didn't feel comfortable adjusting them more than two notches.

Remember as well, as proven by the formula at the start of this post, the farther you have the rings apart, the less each notch makes a difference, and there-by you could adjust it more notches without damaging your scope.

Reactions: Mr12PM

You can offset them by two notches, and as long as previously stated that you tighten down the set screw for the adjustment last, the rings will "cant" a little to account for the angle in the scope. I didn't feel comfortable adjusting them more than two notches.

Remember as well, as proven by the formula at the start of this post, the farther you have the rings apart, the less each notch makes a difference, and there-by you could adjust it more notches without damaging your scope.
Thanks mate. Will try the 2 notches...have a set arriving in a couple of days.

Reactions: SkeeterHawk

It's your scope, we can agree to disagree. My opinion is, even at two grooves, you are stressing your scope tube. JMHO, Don

It's your scope, we can agree to disagree. My opinion is, even at two grooves, you are stressing your scope tube. JMHO, Don
Hey Don,

No, we agree. There is a little "slop" in the adjustment if you align them before you tighten down the set screw on the adjustment. I didn't feel comfortable really tightening them down when there were two notches of adjustment, so I may have not tightened them down so much for those tests. I feel that you "can" use two notches of adjustment, but I only use one if I can.

Cheers!

Jonathan

Hey guys. Just mounted / tried to mount my scope onto the mounts but there were gaps due to the “non-fore-and-aft” canting of the rings. This is something that I don’t want; it means uneven pressure/surface contact between the rings and the scope.
I guess i’ll keep them to use in the event I need to evenly elevate a scope.
Thanks for your input.
DN