Western Airguns Western Sidewinder Semi-Auto Function Issue

I have a .22 Sidewinder that just developed an intermittent problem where the magazine does not advance after a shot. As a result, the next shot end up being a blank, but then it advances to the next round. It seems to happen randomly roughly two or three times out of a 15 shot magazine.

I thought it might be from the barrel being in a bit too tight, as I recently had the barrel out for a good cleaning and polish. But it is not that - I even backed it out a bit more to the point of having a small amount of air leakage at the shot, and it is still doing it.

Any thoughts? I'd hate to have to send it in for a repair . . .

Thanks, Emu - I remember you had the issue that you did, but mine is clearly not broken.

I thought about it for a bit, and I decided to put a few drops of Krytox on that mechanism and then used some compressed air to blow it around and into it. I then put the mag in and cycled it a few dozen times (including a bit on full auto) all with no ammo so I can focus on the function, and so far no issues. So I added another drop and will just let is sit for a while and then try it again.

Thanks, Emu - I remember you had the issue that you did, but mine is clearly not broken.

I thought about it for a bit, and I decided to put a few drops of Krytox on that mechanism and then used some compressed air to blow it around and into it. I then put the mag in and cycled it a few dozen times (including a bit on full auto) all with no ammo so I can focus on the function, and so far no issues. So I added another drop and will just let is sit for a while and then try it again.
Good luck !!!

Well, the problem got worse, cycling properly less and less of the time. I called AoA and the problem appears to be very similar to Emu's, and they are sending me out the part to swap myself, per my preference. I'll be sending the old one back per their request so they can diagnose it, as it does not seem to be exactly the same failure as what they have seen before. They said it will be an easy fix . . . .

Reactions: Hornclayton
Problem resolved with a new part from AoA. Simply had to degas, remove the cover plate, and swap out the part, then reassemble. Thanks to Shane for diagnosing it over the phone, and making it so easy to fix. I'm sending the bad part back to AoA so they can trouble shoot it, but to me it looks like the return spring in the small assembly failed.

Anyways, it is back in operation. The good news in talking to Shane about it is that they expect to release the parts diagrams within a few months, and then we can order parts directly ourselves - that's clearly my preferred way to deal with airgun maintenance . . . .

Problem resolved with a new part from AoA. Simply had to degas, remove the cover plate, and swap out the part, then reassemble. Thanks to Shane for diagnosing it over the phone, and making it so easy to fix. I'm sending the bad part back to AoA so they can trouble shoot it, but to me it looks like the return spring in the small assembly failed.

Anyways, it is back in operation. The good news in talking to Shane about it is that they expect to release the parts diagrams within a few months, and then we can order parts directly ourselves - that's clearly my preferred way to deal with airgun maintenance . . . .
Shane is pretty awesome like that. Glad to hear it was an easy fix for you!

Reactions: Stubbers