• Much like Google Reviews - members are allowed to create (1) unique thread for each vendor/manufacturer. You may "edit" your thread at any time to reflect any changes.

Western Airguns Sidewinder

I shot the gun on Tuesday and was quite pleased with it. Very powerful and the removable magazine is really cool and worked really well. It is titanium because as it rotates there is a lot of force on the magazine to make it rotate and if you use aluminum it will deform over time and have to be replaced. If you use steel it will be very heavy. I believe it will ship with one magazine. Shot count and power of this gun is impressive to say the least.
Hi, what is the best NSA ammo for the Sidewinder in 30 cal?

I'd still like some feed back from members with the .30 cal version, as to what slugs they've had success with...
I'll receive my Sidewinder 30 cal in a few days, and like you, I wanted to know what would be the best ammo, so I wrote directly to the manufacturer, and below is their reply:

"Our testing showed the JSB Exact 44.75's to shoot the best.

Thank you,
Western Airguns"

Reactions: DevilsLuck
I'll receive my Sidewinder 30 cal in a few days, and like you, I wanted to know what would be the best ammo, so I wrote directly to the manufacturer, and below is their reply:

"Our testing showed the JSB Exact 44.75's to shoot the best.

Thank you,
Western Airguns"
Wow, they actually said a pellet and not a slug. Damn, that’s disappointing… I bet people will find good slugs though.

Reactions: K9Air
While I haven't shot it yet, and probably won't for a hot minute till I get it scoped; I have to say I'm very impressed. I settled on the Sidewinder, over the Rattler for its size. And man, oh man this thing is feather light. I was shocked! The overall form balances like a dream. It doesn't feel, or handle like it's stated weight at all.

Yeah it looks really cool. I wish it had the hand guard above the barrel like on the promotional rendering they were showing off. For me, this gun is like the leshiy 2, a close quarter rifle, something you would use within a hundred yard.
I agree. It's quick handling, light weight, and short overall length, made this gun seem to be ideal for toting around in the side by side, and use in heavy cover, and dense underbrush.

After handling this rifle, it has me really thing hard about my scope choice. While I really want a Pard 008LRF, this rifle seems to be screaming for something like a 1-10 LPVO FFP with a Christmas tree style reticle.
Mine is coming next week and I'm gonna throw my Eotech red dot and 5x magnifier on it. I have a Sig Sauer 8T and 5x magnifier on my Leshiy 2 and that set up woks amazing vs an LPVO.

20230208_144550.jpg

T

Thats a good looking set up. What ranges is it good for?
Without magnifier I can shoot offhand comfortably a two inch target up to 50 yards. Above 50 and up to 120 yards, which is the longest shot I took with my Leshiy 2, I flip up the 5x magnifier. It is a great alternative set up to a 1-6x LPVO. The pros are this set up is faster but the cons is thatvthe LPVO would be more precise. It also depends on your eye sight. Some younger shooters can shoot up to 100 yards with the red dot only.

Reactions: DevilsLuck
20230304_052212.jpg
So I got her set up. I cannibalized a scope temporarily from my .22 cal Sentry that has been neglected. I'll use this Monstrum for my testing, to find out what this rifles pellet, or slug preferences are. (Wish I had bought lower rings.) Also to find out what ranges this rifle is comfortable operating in. From there I think I'll be able to make a better choice as to what optic is a match. I'm not running a bipod, and so for me, the foregrip is a no brainer, and makes the rifle more comfortable to handle.
While it was too late in the day to do anything productive sighting in wise... It came fully charged, so... I just had to... So I did. Stepped outside, and fired 7 shots. Whoa! Lot to talk about in just 7 shots, 4 of which were in full auto.
The hammerless trigger... It's really unlike any other trigger I've pulled before. The whole process of take-up, wall, break, reset... Isn't really there in a traditional sense. It felt more like a constant, light resistance, until the trigger reached a specific position in its arc, then simply fires.
Additionally I perceived no audible, or tactile reset. No familiar "click", when releasing the trigger to tell me it's ready to shoot again. It simply, and silently sweeps back forward, which the same resistance it came back with. It's kinda spooky. I'll definitely have to get more familiar with it.