• Much like Google Reviews - members are allowed to create (1) unique thread for each vendor/manufacturer. You may "edit" your thread at any time to reflect any changes.

Western Airguns Sidewinder

Titanium generally is as strong as steel and as light as aluminum. One problem is that when connected to other metals they will cause the other metals to rapidly corrode unless isolated electrically from each other. The titanium pieces act as the cathode and other materials the anode. As far as strength, the Russian Alpha Class SSN Submarines had titanium hulls and were rated for very deep test depth...

I e only seen 2, of however many there are. But I saw how pissed my wife was when I showed her. But it functioned as intended.
1675971695408.png

Titanium is pretty strong, a large part like a magazine would never shatter. You would have to put it in a vice and slam it with a sledgehammer to break it, it wouldn't shatter it would crack and snap off. Simply dropping it wouldn't do the job as it doesn't have enough weight. The biggest downside over steel is really the cost of material and machining. Titanium is lighter, a good choice as it won't rust or wear like treated steel components and has less rotating mass for this particular part that turns at high velocity.
It'll definitely add to production cost. I don't yet know what he cycle rate is in this rifle. But I imagine it would have to be spinning incredibly fast to necessitate the use of titanium. Unless it's meant to reduce load on the operating system. If it's just that; it seems like there might be more cost effective materials. But who knows, till we get our hands on one. The wait continues...

It'll definitely add to production cost. I don't yet know what he cycle rate is in this rifle. But I imagine it would have to be spinning incredibly fast to necessitate the use of titanium. Unless it's meant to reduce load on the operating system. If it's just that; it seems like there might be more cost effective materials. But who knows, till we get our hands on one. The wait continues...
I’m gonna take a guess here and say it’s because they don’t want it to deform due to the apparent tight tolerances. If I recall correctly titanium is very rigid

I learned 15 years ago every one of these companies are ripping us off, from the PCP's themselves to the accessories down the the slug makers. I just learned to deal with it because it isn't going away.
Well, blame it on capitalism. And us too, after all, we are the market and the market is willing to pay stupid prices for toys. I can't blame the manufacturers, greedy or not, they are there and they make our lives a tad more entertaining.

I was told additional mags will b e around $140 a piece. I myself wonder why they chose titanium for the magazines. While titanium is very light weight, it's also quit brittle, and fragile. I had a titanium ring once. It shattered like glass by simply dropping it on the concrete.
Probably because titanium is strong as steel but 45% lighter, and twice as strong as aluminum but only 60% heavier. It’s also very corrosion resistant.

Last edited:
I shot the gun on Tuesday and was quite pleased with it. Very powerful and the removable magazine is really cool and worked really well. It is titanium because as it rotates there is a lot of force on the magazine to make it rotate and if you use aluminum it will deform over time and have to be replaced. If you use steel it will be very heavy. I believe it will ship with one magazine. Shot count and power of this gun is impressive to say the least.

I shot the gun on Tuesday and was quite pleased with it. Very powerful and the removable magazine is really cool and worked really well. It is titanium because as it rotates there is a lot of force on the magazine to make it rotate and if you use aluminum it will deform over time and have to be replaced. If you use steel it will be very heavy. I believe it will ship with one magazine. Shot count and power of this gun is impressive to say the least.

You lucky dog you!

Reason I didn't get one is it says max power is 90 FPE in .30 . . . is that true when the Rattler in .30 get's 170?

If it can hit >150fpe I'll grab one

Reactions: K9Air and ram2jeep
Great news! I'm looking forward to getting my hands on mine. Did you find that it liked a particular slug, or pellet best?

Reactions: peterj59

Thanks a Lot for the feedback, looking forward to shooting one

Is there a reason to pick rattler over sk19? @ this time there is $400 difference.
Being, at least cosmetically, a very similar gun . I read somewhere sk19 was lighter. I think they made a mistake.
Is there going to be a discount for the rattler over the new removable magazine model?
If not, I fear there will be some originals sitting on shelf.

Reactions: allinssd
Is there a reason to pick rattler over sk19? @ this time there is $400 difference.
Being, at least cosmetically, a very similar gun . I read somewhere sk19 was lighter. I think they made a mistake.
Is there going to be a discount for the rattler over the new removable magazine model?
From some of the numbers I've read, the fixed mag version is still more powerful, and about a pound and a half heavier than the Sidewinder. So I don't think there's any danger of the older model being by passed over as a whole for the Sidewinder. There are some real differences between the two, if the numbers are to be believed. Additional to that, the 35 caliber is only available in the fixed magazine version.

Last edited:
Reactions: allinssd

Like @DevilsLuck said.

I picked the 357 Rattler because neither LCS nor Sidewinder come in .357.

I weighed these Rattler VS - Sidewinder

Length 40" vs 35"
Barrel 28" vs 23"
Weight 9lb vs 8lb
FPE 170fpe vs 90fpe
Mag 17shot non removable vs 12shot removable

There were other differences but none that I factored in on MY decision. YMMV

I was just finally able to afford a used sk19 and now this comes out. For me itll be a couple years for the used market to get them affordable again for me. For the most part I really like the sk19 but if they made the removable mag dependable thatll be great. Gotta love innovations.

You seem to have hella patience so it'll pay off! Just like everything, it'll pop up eventually. The more rapid the innovation the better, We've been in a rut for a while, things have started to happen recently so let's hope the current trend of innovation starts to snowball and we see more and more.

I doubt it though because as a manufacturers perspective, you can't have too much too quickly, otherwise your current stock of newly R&D'd weapons will just sit and stockpile.

Monetary incentive trumps all - double edged sword because without it, we wouldn't have any forward progression or motivation for it at all.