• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Western Airguns Rattler .357

35-40ish yards. I dialed 11 clicks counter clockwise (looking at the bottom of the gun like the manual suggests). Seems like 12 clicks is the max from factory setting before the dial starts freely spinning - so, I figured 11 clicks would be pretty close to full power. Kinda winging it without a chronograph tbh.
strange mine clicks counter clockwise 25+ times... are you saying free spinning meaning it still clicks but you don't see it moving the air chamber any?

strange mine clicks counter clockwise 25+ times... are you saying free spinning meaning it still clicks but you don't see it moving the air chamber any?
Mine was clicking counter clockwise 12 times from how it was set from the factory. I made a small mark with a sharpie on the wheel to mark the original location and then turned it 12 times from there, at which point it seemed to run out of detents to "click" and felt like it could freely spin.

Mine was clicking counter clockwise 12 times from how it was set from the factory. I made a small mark with a sharpie on the wheel to mark the original location and then turned it 12 times from there, at which point it seemed to run out of detents to "click" and felt like it could freely spin.
i've let mine sit for about 7 days now and the mpa gauge is dropping from 25mpa to 22mpa. may be slow leak i will let it sit another 7 days and see if it goes below 20mpa.

i've let mine sit for about 7 days now and the mpa gauge is dropping from 25mpa to 22mpa. may be slow leak i will let it sit another 7 days and see if it goes below 20mpa.
I'm having the exact same issue... I have been letting mine sit since Wednesday and it's dropped from 25 to 22 already. Looking like it's going back if it keeps it up.

I'm having the exact same issue... I have been letting mine sit since Wednesday and it's dropped from 25 to 22 already. Looking like it's going back if it keeps it up.
the tech support says drop from 25 to 22 can be expected after a full fill because of air settling. if it continues to drop below 20 he said will send label to return fix.

since it is only showing on first gauge, if it is a leak it is limited to bottle/gauge/foster connection area. the second regulated chamber is holding steady pressure for me. i may see if he can talk me thru self testing.

the tech support says drop from 25 to 22 can be expected after a full fill because of air settling. if it continues to drop below 20 he said will send label to return fix.

since it is only showing on first gauge, if it is a leak it is limited to bottle/gauge/foster connection area. the second regulated chamber is holding steady pressure for me. i may see if he can talk me thru self testing.
Oh, interesting. Please do keep us posted! It looks like the second regulated chamber is holding for me as well. I can't remember what exactly it came at, but it's sitting at 16.5/17 for the regulated pressure. That sound about right for yours?

Oh, interesting. Please do keep us posted! It looks like the second regulated chamber is holding for me as well. I can't remember what exactly it came at, but it's sitting at 16.5/17 for the regulated pressure. That sound about right for yours?
yes 16.5
he said the range from factory is between 14 to 17 but below 14 may lead to magazine cycling issues so on the higher end is better.

Reactions: Remnoth
This comment is a response to multiple people and some of my thoughts and things I heard when I called AOA and spoke to one of them about it.

I was told that the rattler bottle can be swapped out, and if you want it with the 700CC bottle, they will send it installed for another $200.

I love integral magazines personally as they simplify many aspects and the entire system has less possible points of failure overall. For example, breech seal o rings are not a thing you need to worry about, nor are broken plastic magazines that slightly miss align when a bolt is slamming through them at high speed. Plus, if you take the aea terminator for example, it's magazines hold 10 shots so you're getting 50% more on the rattler.

I doubt we will see calibers of the rattler below .357, although maybe bigger. One person told me a .45 was in the works. I was told that an engineer working for LCS wanted to make bigger calibers but they didn't want to so he worked with western big bores and made the design just different enough to not violate patent. If you want a .25 rattler, why not just buy a huben or an lcs? I'm a huge huben fan, have both the .22 and a .25 and I will say if a .35 huben existed as well that made similar power to the rattler and had similar capacity, I would not be interested in one.

Regarding the sliding of projectiles in the magazine, on my hubens this can cause jams. Once I swapped to snug ones I never experience jams anymore. Although hubens have a tendency to do better with wider diameter slugs, in my experience. For example, in my .25 huben, NSA .250 slugs are horribly inaccurate, .253 Zan slugs are much better and .254 AVS slugs the best. My .22 huben shoots .2225 slugs that I swage. Obviously none of this means the rattler or lcs would be the same, but they could be.

I do like my huben triggers. I've heard the lcs triggers are not quite as good but not nearly as bad as an aea terminator trigger for example.

Sometimes my hubens snag a beard hair.

I couldn't care less about lack of full auto functionality. It may be for the best although I'm not against it. I've talked to people with lcs sk 19s who say the novelty wears off pretty fast and they almost exclusively shoot in semi. Pulling the trigger as fast as I can I can dump a huben mag nearly as fast anyway.
Do you prefer huben over lcs?

Reactions: Hornclayton
Watch us as we run down the road to Government regulation! The first time a human is killed with an automatic airgun we will rise up into the anti-gun radar. If folks have trouble shipping airguns via FEDEX, UPS and the USPS, what do you think will happen when the headlines read “Man killed by automatic air rifle shooting .357 slugs that had a legal silencer”. Wake up!
10-4 to that!

That may be a reasonable conclusion to draw from the potential event, but lets get real: If people are being killed by airgun toting idiots then of course there will be a reaction. It will not matter one bit if it is a semi automatic Rattler, or an Impact, or a Texan, or a Daisy.

This is a behavioral issue, not a “Powerful”, “Fully Semi-Automatic” (!) Airgun issue. It is why WE must be responsible in our actions and our behaviors, and not tolerate irresponsible behavior. Complaining about the tool being too powerful is irrelevant. The “Tool” doesn’t make one do stupid or dangerous things. If a .357 airgun is too powerful for your suburban backyard then DON’T SHOOT IT IN YOUR BACKYARD!

”The (air)gun made me do it” ain’t ever going to be a good excuse or defense.

Chris
Amen!

ordered rattler from Michigan airguns, the one i have came with the back barrel cages loose tried to tighten them up by loosening barrel screws and knocking them back a taste to tighten the fit didn't work got to live with it being loose, do you other rattler owners have this problem or non problem? but this just kind of bugs me feel the quality is lacking because of this fault.

ordered rattler from Michigan airguns, the one i have came with the back barrel cages loose tried to tighten them up by loosening barrel screws and knocking them back a taste to tighten the fit didn't work got to live with it being loose, do you other rattler owners have this problem or non problem? but this just kind of bugs me feel the quality is lacking because of this fault.
Are you talking about the plastic insets that fill the rectangular gaps around the barrel? If so yes mine are loose too but they don't rattle or make noise. There's a video from FTairguns joking about them also saying the Rattler has rattling parts in Spanish at the 3min 40sec mark.

Does yours slow leak air? Fill it up to 25mpa and let it sit 1 week let me know.

Last edited:
Do you prefer huben over lcs?
I have never laid hands on an lcs but from what I have seen and people I have talked too, yes. I think the ergonomics and looks of the huben are top notch and it makes as much or more power, and I believe it's even got a shorter overall length. The bottom rail on the lcs looks kinda flimsy and so I'm glad to see the rattler incorporate that band that locks the lower rail, bottle, and barrel together. I prefer how the tube looks on the huben over bottles but I'm still planning to get a rattler, also the huben fills to 5000 psi which is cool, means I can tether to a 4500 psi bottle without a regulator between them, valve full open. Hubens can be ammo picky, and I do not shoot pellets with mine, so take that into consideration. I described the slug issues I had and what I had to do to rectify them.

If you're considering between the two, maybe consider the sidewinder as well. I made that post before that gun was revealed. Especially if a removable magazine is important to you. I personally like the integral ones but many do not

Last edited:
Are you talking about the plastic insets that fill the rectangular gaps around the barrel? If so yes mine are loose too but they don't rattle or make noise. There's a video from FTairguns joking about them also saying the Rattler has rattling parts in Spanish at the 3min 40sec mark.

Does yours slow leak air? Fill it up to 25mpa and let it sit 1 week let me know.
yes the cover that has the so called m-lock slots. i agree they don't actually rattle or make noise, just urks me, paying 2800.00 for a gun that has loose parts is all.

Dang stuff like this and the leaks makes me consider waiting for a mark 2.
The only thing that concerns me is the slow leak but it's something that they have to fix or replace with a new pcp so I'm not worried about it that much. As for mark2 versions since this is essentially a redesign of the LCS SK19 it's technically a mark2 version of that pcp.

I'll update when I get it back and ask exactly where the leak was.

Reactions: Asher