Western Airguns Cottontail Overnight Hunt (Pictorial)

Several weeks ago I headed out for multiple days to get away from the house and to knock out a few video projects I had going on. Marley and I loaded the Jeep and made way to one of my more frequented locations that sits at around 5800' elevation.

Snapshot_231.png

Snapshot_209.png

We arrived fairly late in the afternoon and setup a primitive type tarp shelter under a sparsely forested area. Typically this time of year it gets up over triple digit temperatures but this particular day was only into the high 80's with a slight breeze, what I would call excellent camping weather.

Snapshot_228.png

Snapshot_229.png

For this trip I did bring several rifles to use over the few days of being here, one of these was the New Western Airguns Rattler chambered in .30 caliber. I received this rifle from AOA to field test and provide feedback and support to them as an end user. This is a gun I have much enjoyed my time with and although its not a gun I enjoy carrying due to weight, it does have some advantages over a few others. This rifle can produce up to 180 fpe but I feel as though it's most enjoyable to shoot in the higher power levels between 120/140fpe that it produces very easily.

Snapshot_211.png

Snapshot_232.png

Aside from producing such a massive amount of power it can also easily configure to just under 50 fpe that works well for small game such as rabbits. I have previously been doing lots of shooting with this gun on the higher end of the power levels but for this trip I decided to turn it down to shoot the 44gr JSB's to 730 fps. This produces just about 52 fpe, good for shorter range small game and will yield near 80+ shots, more than enough for an evening rabbit hunt. haha Marley and I set off away from camp into the nearby foothills that does tend to be loaded with Cottontails.

Snapshot_213.png

We made our way out of the tree line and headed up a faint animal trail that took us into the higher foothills where we immediately spotted a few Deer.

Snapshot_214.png

Now as dry as this location looks it does in fact have several prominent water source's not far from here, one being a small pond and the other being a creek that are both fed from a natural spring. I think the fact this is about the only area for near 70 miles that has water it tends to be a bit busier with the animal activity. We spend lots of time here and have still yet to explore all of it as it is extremely rugged and fairly dangerous during the summer months. Carrying plenty of water and trying to find any shade you can to take breaks is really the key to maneuvering these areas. Marley and I found a nice spot to sit down that both gave us some block from the sun as well as giving a nice overlook of the area below. Typically when the evening comes and it starts cooling down it when you see the most animal activity, this goes especially for Rabbits.

Snapshot_215.png

Marley and I sat for about 20 minutes or so just scanning the area where I finally spotted a Cottontail moving about next to some sagebrush, it slowly moved out into the open where I made a headshot at 42 yards.

Snapshot_218.png

Snapshot_233.png

Snapshot_219.png

Typically for my use .30 caliber is a bit much for Cottontails at such close range but I really think this is where the beauty of being able to turn the gun down comes into play. Marley is funny because she's not really used to hunting this close, when she ran out she bypassed the Rabbit thinking it was much further. After a minute she realized it had been much closer and was able to tractor it up in her typical retrieval.

Snapshot_220.png

I packed this guy up, we hiked around a little more but didn't really see anymore activity with the Rabbits. For me regardless of the hunting it's still nice to get out and hike around with these guns and really learn how they perform under different conditions away from a bench.

Snapshot_221.png

Thankfully it was starting to cool down that made for a very enjoyable hike back to our camp, I love how the sun comes through the trees.

Snapshot_222.png

Snapshot_223.png

About three years ago I upgraded to a 12volt refrigerator that has for me been extremely helpful for multiple days in the field and being able to keep everything cold. Before I was limited to using regular and dry ice that worked ok but did require me to use a much larger ice chest, so this has been a good deal for me to conserve space. My favorite part of these days is to sit and enjoy the beautiful sunsets, it's to me a highlight.

Snapshot_224.png

Snapshot_225.png

Snapshot_227.png

After a long day it was nice to cook up some dinner, relax and just have a nice quiet night away from the city. I setup a small cot that worked well for us, heck I could sleep like this every night if it wasn't for the many responsibilities I have at home.

Snapshot_226.png

We had a great trip and I really do enjoy sharing them with others as I realize some aren't as fortunate to be able to get out on the regular. Enclosed is the video of this trip that I hope some will find well documented. Cheers, Dana

Last edited:
Thanks a lot , reminds me to get out there sometime, Do it when your young, When you get old you have the time, The money, But the body says maybe tomorrow.
Mike
Agree.

And also you become a better shooter but you realized that every good shot you make implies a live that you take. There a point in which your succes in shootingt becomes a ssd. So you do not shot every thing you find around. You choose which one to take.