• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Western .357 rattler and aftermarket moderator

So I've got a .30 sidewinder that is shooting at around 90 fpe and I've managed to quiet it down considerably. I wouldn't exactly call it backyard friendly, but it's way quieter than stock. I drilled about 50 tiny holes near the back of the shroud in the area that is hidden below the frame. This helped a lot, but it does produce a noticeable gust of wind from above the bottle with every shot now. I also rounded off the sharp corners within the mod adaptor in order to increase air flow to the shroud.

The quietest moderator I've found so far has been the Huma Mod50. The loudest was stock. I also tried a Donnyfl Shogun and a 0db Magnum and the 0 dB was more effective than the DonnyFL. I'm planning on adding a couple additional sections to it. It already sounds much less like a gunshot and more like a loud hammer blow or an air nailer.

I did a bit more experimentation with the sidewinder today before the rain drove me indoors.

First I tried replacing the padding within the mod50 with a wrap of carpet with the tuft facing inward. This seemed to work fairly well and I felt the report seemed to be reduced, but I don’t feel confident that I won’t get baffle strikes in the future, so I removed it.

Second I tried wrapping the rear of the gun with a 6” wide gun sock and this made a noticeable difference to the volume of the report. As others have mentioned before, a lot of the noise comes from the action. With the power turned down and the rear of the gun wrapped I would actually consider it backyard friendly. With the power turned up to 90 fpe it’s quiet and muffled enough that you could get away with a few shots here and there without alarming the neighbors.

I also think that there probably is some way to muffle the action without actually wrapping it in cloth.

I made some more progress with it yesterday. I had drilled around 50 small holes toward the back of the shroud where they are covered by the frame.

I ended up removing the shroud and then added 2 pieces of pan scrubber pad between the shroud and the barrel and that seemed to make a major difference as well. Wrapping the outside of the action with cloth quiets it down even more and doesn't seem to have any effect on feeding or reliability, but I'm not really sure it is necessary at this point. I'm starting to enter that backyard friendly territory. I also think the noise from the action is deceptive, since it's right next to your ear.

So the best combination that I've found so far is to vent and pack the shroud and to use a Huma Mod50 moderator. Wrapping the action helps too, but probably isn't necessary to get a reasonably quiet gun. If you're going for mouse fart quiet however then I suspect you will have to go that route. I'm also sure there are several other moderators out there that are as good or better.

Another avenue that was promising and I haven't fully tested yet was ventilating my 0 dB mod. I added small ventilation holes to that as well and it made a noticeable difference. I don't know yet if it will be as quiet as the Mod50 though. It was comparable before I packed the shroud, but I haven't tried it alongside the Mod50 for comparison yet.

Reactions: allinssd
It depends which version of the rattler you have. If you have the first version without the carbon looking shroud, and the shroud is threaded on the barrel end the donnyfl adapter will probably work.
If it's the new version with the carbon looking shroud and the shroud isn't threaded I don't think there is an adapter. I took a donny fl adapter and used a lathe to cut the threads off so it just slides into the shroud but then you need a spacer at the end of the shroud also.
I'm not sure of the thread size, sorry.

It depends which version of the rattler you have. If you have the first version without the carbon looking shroud, and the shroud is threaded on the barrel end the donnyfl adapter will probably work.
If it's the new version with the carbon looking shroud and the shroud isn't threaded I don't think there is an adapter. I took a donny fl adapter and used a lathe to cut the threads off so it just slides into the shroud but then you need a spacer at the end of the shroud also.
I'm not sure of the thread size, sorry.

Carbon shroud no threads.

I don't have anything that fits inside the threads on the stock moderator that I removed from my .22 Sidewinder, but it's smaller than 1/2", probably in metric. I measure the inside of the threads as 10.9 mm, so probably 12 mm in diameter and the thread appears to be about a 1.0 pitch, but that is just a best guess. If nobody knows, I can take it into the hardware section on the weekend and find what fits it then . . .

Are the adapters for the Rattler out yet?

Or does anyone know the thread size for the barrel?

Looking for thread size on the .357 Rattler as well for the .22 Sidewinder thanks.
I am currently working with Neil Clague to make me a shroud/suppressor combo for my Rattler and have some info that might help. 1/2" threads won't work. So if you are looking for an adapter to go from the Rattler to 1/2 UNF so you can use some of DonnyuFl suppressors, I don't think anyone will be making them. The reason is that a .357 is too big for 1/2". Once you add in the wall thickness inside the 1/2" thread it isn't big enough for a .357. He just finished making a couple suppressors for someone else and thinks they were for the Rattler, those threads were 5/8" -24 threads per inch. Sorry I don't have any designation at this time like UNF or IPS etc. I'll try and find out when I speak with Neil and get back to you if you still want to know. Hope this helps.

I am currently working with Neil Clague to make me a shroud/suppressor combo for my Rattler and have some info that might help. 1/2" threads won't work. So if you are looking for an adapter to go from the Rattler to 1/2 UNF so you can use some of DonnyuFl suppressors, I don't think anyone will be making them. The reason is that a .357 is too big for 1/2". Once you add in the wall thickness inside the 1/2" thread it isn't big enough for a .357. He just finished making a couple suppressors for someone else and thinks they were for the Rattler, those threads were 5/8" -24 threads per inch. Sorry I don't have any designation at this time like UNF or IPS etc. I'll try and find out when I speak with Neil and get back to you if you still want to know. Hope this helps.

Thanks - the adapter would not be 1/2" - it'd be the standard M18x1 all the Suppressor makers use.

I bought a set of thread/pitch gauges and the threads are M14x1.

I'm glad Neil is making this for you, I contacted him a while back and he said he had no knowledge of this gun so he couldn't do anything for me.

Do you know how long till he's finished? I'm excitedto hear how it comes out, this thing is such a beast to tame at full power! I literally need ears when shooting at full otherwise they not only ring the steel, they ring my ears as well.

Thanks - the adapter would not be 1/2" - it'd be the standard M18x1 all the Suppressor makers use.

I bought a set of thread/pitch gauges and the threads are M14x1.

I'm glad Neil is making this for you, I contacted him a while back and he said he had no knowledge of this gun so he couldn't do anything for me.

Do you know how long till he's finished? I'm excitedto hear how it comes out, this thing is such a beast to tame at full power! I literally need ears when shooting at full otherwise they not only ring the steel, they ring my ears as well.
I spoke with Neil today and he is going to start making it tomorrow. So I would guess I will have it in hand in about a week to 10 days. I'll come back here and report, pun intended, how it performs. It's going to be a one piece unit, aluminum powder coated flat black. The shroud and suppressor all in one from where the factory shroud drops to one inch, total length approx. 18-1/2", all in 1.75" diameter. The small section where the factory shroud drops down to 1" will have a small matching cover that is not functional. I'll take at least one picture to show.

I spoke with Neil today and he is going to start making it tomorrow. So I would guess I will have it in hand in about a week to 10 days. I'll come back here and report, pun intended, how it performs. It's going to be a one piece unit, aluminum powder coated flat black. The shroud and suppressor all in one from where the factory shroud drops to one inch, total length approx. 18-1/2", all in 1.75" diameter. The small section where the factory shroud drops down to 1" will have a small matching cover that is not functional. I'll take at least one picture to show.
Very cool! Yeah the shroud is 1" then goes to 1.5" then factory mod is 1.9".

Is 1.75" the max diameter the shroud can be without hitting the tank bottle support thing?

Very cool! Yeah the shroud is 1" then goes to 1.5" then factory mod is 1.9".

Is 1.75" the max diameter the shroud can be without hitting the tank bottle support thing?
No, if you remove the clamp, which seems like tits on a boar to me, it can accommodate up to 2" but Neil didn't think it was necessary, and would look bulky.

I finally got around to testing the new shroud/suppressor by Neil Clague. Not ideal conditions but gives an idea of the different sound levels for no suppression, factory suppression and after market suppression. I Set power to the lowest using FX 81g pellets since I live in a suburban neighborhood, again just looking for a comparison. These were the first shots I made with this rifle since I got it and I already have one issue I'll post after this. It's really hard to realize how loud this sounds from the video, it definitely sounds louder live. The factory suppressor is pretty much useless or no improvement at all. The after market is better but not as mush as I had hoped. Caveat, not that it makes that much difference on the lowest setting but I use helium in all my hunting rifles, just thought I would mention that so everything is up front. After comments come in I can re make under better conditions. Perhaps having the meter in front of the barrel next time, but I did want to see what the decibel level is from the shooters perspective. I can also post a better picture later.

I'd say there is no way that meter is capturing the sound pressure level peak properly - that bare barreled shot would have to be way over 100 db, especially in tight with all that reflective material right next to it. So your perception is about all you can go by, since the numbers are not going to be helpful even on a relative basis.