• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Western .357 rattler and aftermarket moderator

I know it is not a Rattler, but I have a Sidewinder and I found swapping to practically any other appropriately sized moderator made a vast reduction in sound level over the stock moderator. I just don't find the design of the factory moderator to be particularly good, and I expect the Rattler mod is the same as the Sidewinder (basically a tube with holes in it and too many baffles too close together).

Reactions: allinssd
I know it is not a Rattler, but I have a Sidewinder and I found swapping to practically any other appropriately sized moderator made a vast reduction in sound level over the stock moderator. I just don't find the design of the factory moderator to be particularly good, and I expect the Rattler mod is the same as the Sidewinder (basically a tube with holes in it and too many baffles too close together).
What are you using or which have you found to work best?

I've been using a Huma Mod 40 Compact on it, but it is sized for a .30 cal and the gun a .22. It is the best one of the batch I have tried on this gun, including a Donny FL Tatsu in .25 cal, a Huggett Mini-Magna in .25 cal, and a Buck Rail tapered in .25 cal (the Buck Rail was the loudest of the bunch, but still better than the stock one).

I have ordered a Huma Mod 40 Compact in .25 to try, and I plan to add one or two sections from my .30 cal version to it to see how quiet I can get it. If it works well, and I can tolerate the length, I might get an STO Sarrisa for it, but I'm trying hte Huma first.

In the end, there is only so much that I can do as the action on the Sidewinder itself is very loud - a good 10bB louder than my Huben when compared with a good iPhone app, measured about two feet away from the action with the muzzle buried in a pillow shooting without ammo. This gives me a view of just the sound from the action, and the Sidewinder this way is louder than the Huben firing an actual pellet. It's just an all around loud gun . . . . but it certainly is quieter with a better mod on it than it shipped with!

Did you get your Bullysyclone? I am interested in those if they work well.

I have a .30 Sidewinder as well. I tested a number of moderators, (Sumo, Ronin, Tatsu). The one that sounded the quietest to me-the Huggett Magna.

I bought the donnyFL adapter to put on the rattler but I have a rattler with a non threaded shroud. I had someone with a lathe machine the threads off the adapter so it would screw on to the barrel and fit in the shroud. And I needed an aluminum spacer on the barrel behind the shroud because there was a gap left over and the shroud slid around a bit.

Using the donnyFL emperor it seemed a bit quieter, if I use it with the expansion chamber it was a little bit quieter but not a lot. I think the Emperor does a better job than the factory shroud/moderator but I just used my ears, I need to do a decibel reading.

20231107_105848.jpg

20231107_105008.jpg

20231107_105155.jpg

I just did a test on the back of my house with the ballistic gel for a target. Here are the results:
-DonnyFL Emperor: 120.4db
-Emperor plus expansion tube: 117.4db
-Factory mod and shroud: 117db

The winner is: Factory! The way it uses the shroud to help dissipate the air is a big advantage over using just a moderator. I just like being able to remove the mod to make the rifle shorter.

I just tried the rattler with the DonnyFL Yokozuna. It made 118.3db, 2.1db less than the Emporer. That's a very impressive drop considering the Yokozuna is smaller than the Emperor.
The only problem with the Yokozuna is mine takes an incredible amount of force to attach. And I need a strap wrench to remove the quick disconnect piece from the barrel threads. Other than that it is a very nice moderator.

Reactions: Hornclayton