Went to test out all the toys for my Crown today and got my best 100 group Ever!

Squeezed out a trip to the range today, been crappy weather for weeks on end and got a bunch of toys I want to try out. Mainly want to see how I like the ST chassis and if wind allow test out the FX detachable tuner. Plus want to try NSA .2165 slugs I ordered in 3 different sizes since some people say .2165 shot better for them.
0ECF24A6-A425-4FBD-97BC-FC6906175DA3.1641692449.jpeg

However the wind was just kicking hard when I got there. 
A2A76B9F-10D1-43F7-8FC5-56C6BBF40F9F.1641692576.png

Found the knee of the power curve for 20, 23 and 27.5 grain slugs with the crown. Found loading problems using Huma pin probe with FX mag holding slugs so might have to see if Orion has a fix so I single loaded the slugs after. Waited for the wind to die down so I can try the tuner but no go. 😡

About 3:30 or 30 minutes before the range close the wind started to lay down so I moved the target to 100 yards for giggles. The 217 27.5 grain NSA slugs shot the this group, I almost fell over after the 5th shot. To say I was nervous on the 5th shot was an understatement. Clearly there is some luck involved with the wind but it is by far the best 100 yard 5 shot group for me ever!!!

485F8C94-135F-4E64-BD00-B88AF973A197.1641693023.jpeg
4EAE9AAB-C7FD-4B63-9707-71A55AE1BF06.1641693023.jpeg

The best part was the dreaded 5th shot, I was super nervous and took a least a minute to finally pull the trigger. Then I watched the slug magically flew though one of the existing holes, simply couldn’t not believe my eyes!!! Can you tell which hole was a double? Took me a while to figure out. 

as far as the different size slugs go 2165 slugs seem to fly about 10-15 fps faster. However, even though the 27.5 grain slug is significantly slower they do seem a little more stable in the wind so might have to stick with this slug!!! But will find a calm day to test them again and try to see if the tuner can make the groups of the other sizes of slugs shrink. 

Nice shooting, brotha. Glad you got to get out and test some new goodies. I shot my best card last week myself. It’s a darn good feeling, isn’t it?

Have a great rest of you weekend.

Stoti

Thanks Stoti and congrats also on your best card! Got lucky with this group, a full card is a completely different story and difficulty level!!! Still feels damn awesome, will need to work on consistently and get much better at reading the wind. I'm really digging the ST chassis, much heavier and more stable than the GRS stock thanks to the extended rail for bipod. ST bottle clamp is a good temp solution but not good for real target work. Have a great weekend. 

@jaycie4, I understand what you're saying, but video footage can be edited. Thing is that these sub MOA groups are probable, occasionally. Consistently shooting those types of groups at 100 yards is unrealistic for the majority of shooters.

^^^^^100%! 

@jaycie4: that group definitely had luck on my side with the wind. The down range accuracy is a combination of the gun, tune and BC of the ammo against the environmental variables. Higher the BC the smaller the group expands with environmental variables, fortunately with the 27.5 NSA I’m trying the BC is so high the left and right drift is 0.8 mil but that’s still 2.75 MOA with only 5mph wind. To consistently archive sub MOA accuracy one has to be very good at reading the wind or only shoot at 1mph or less wind. I have little doubt if tuned correctly most FX guns with most ammo are sub MOA with no wind, however the same can not be said about the shooters me included. I only managed 3 groups at 100 because the range was closing and the other 2 are right at 1-1.2 MOA and that’s with adjust/wait for the wind. It is a far cry from zeroing the 6.5 at 100 yards. . LOL! 

Although one of these days I do need to bust out the side shot and dust it off. 

Indeed it’s a lot of work recording all my groups because I don’t have a way to record for 2-4 hours. it would be quite boring because most of the time it would take a good amount of time to shoot a 5 shot group when there is wind which is 99% of the time, the range is in an open plain. I strive to shoot sub 2 MOA consistently and once a while when the wind is consistent enough or when I got the wind call right on all 5 shots then I get that sub MOA group. Sub MOA groups are relatively rare depending on wind condition at long distances thanks to our meager power so recording the whole time is way too time consuming, since I shoot for enjoyment not YouTube fame and fortune my sideshot collects a lot of dust. 

@jaycie4 If you want to shoot sub MOA groups at long distances just make sure you have an efficient tune that can punch single hole at 30-50 yards in calm conditions and then learn to read wind/environment variables. There is no short cuts or off the shelf sub MOA airgun if there is wind. If you want sub MOA groups without worrying about wind then you have to upgrade to something with more power like 6.5 creedmoor or 7mm or even bigger. It’s not even easy for 22LR or 17HMR to shoot sub MOA groups at 100 yards consistently without holding for wind. 

Qball, looks to me like the time and work were put in for that group and previous groups. I can only think that it will get better as you put in more time. There are a few guys on here that consistently put out these types of groups and ya’ll always “DO” the work. Anyway, looking forward to more groups and write Ups with the new setup.

Thanks Traxx! Definitely don’t want to give the impression that all my groups are like that or even close. There certainly a lot of work put into it and to me that is the fun part. If I can shoot sub MOA group consistently and easily then the challenge is gone and there goes the fun factor. It is very fun and rewarding to watch and learn how to adjust for wind and when one of these groups happen with a little luck it’s is super satisfying! Especially out shooting most PB with a “meager” little airgun. 

@db39: thanks, slug guns are a lot of fun! Because pellets have 1/2 the BC so it is twice as challenging to shoot a sub MOA group in the wind with them. I tip my hat to all the competitors at EBR, they consistently shoot sub MOA groups in the wind with pellets! Simply unbelievable.