Went to get rid of a female red bird

Second cousins mom called and said please come get rid of this red bird attacking my windows. Red bird left but this uneducated family unit had not been taught the danger of a pick up truck with an air tube sticking out the passenger window. Between 35-49 yards. Gotta love it! FX Dreamline.22 15.89 gr JSB. 

9282910B-0C41-439D-973F-8320543EE03B.1651165976.jpeg

Aren't these common starlings? ...Or is the term red bird just a synonym for a starling?

Those are European Starlings, all appear to be breeding adults. They're a non-native bird that tend to attack songbirds. Other birds they associate with are grackles, cowbirds, and blackbirds.

(the OP said the red bird had left before he got there)

I hate starlings. When we first moved into our home, I had a bird feeder. Soon the starlings were all over it. I bet I got 30 in one day shooting from an unfinished basement. I don't feed birds anymore and I don't see starlings around my home. Probably due to the lack of bird food. I do see lots of cardinals and robins, and I love both of their songs.

Aren’t cardinals protected? Not to mention native!

Here in Ohio killing a cardinal can get you up to six months in jail and a $15,000 fine.

To make it stop banging into the window, your best bet is to make sure there aren't any branches close to the window. I had to trim some lilacs away from my bedroom window because a cardinal wouldn't stop banging into the window.

@Seth0764: I want to thank you kind sir for your post. Nailed it!! I am only on two forums. My reason for being here is to learn and possibly contribute. I don’t want urinate all over this forum, but I will say, that there are some posters on here that really should take a few moments and read BEFORE shooting ( yes pun) off their mouths. This is not exclusive to this thread!!!! I won’t call anyone out, but some of you guys, Really? 

My threads title is a teaser. I posted images of my kills. Sorry,I’m not sponsored by FX, Don’t have a DonnyFL and no Element scope. And I ain’t shooting slugs thru a “Smooth Twist XX number 12” with a power plenum. I’m just SC redneck killing starlings from a seated position in a POS Silverado. And yes, although I slam FX it’s what I choose to shoot. And I’ll buy another FX gun soon. 

Reactions: baloo
MarkT I have accidently caught red birds (Cardinals for the Yankees) in box traps with black sunflower seeds. I set them for chipmunks and occasionally caught one. Doesn't hurt them and gives the option to relocate. Northerners call Blue Birds, Blue Bird same as southerners. Tennessee's state bird.

Good shooting, starlings have no value. Years ago farmers had carbide cannons set behind the house going off all summer in the corn fields. Friend and I would load 12 gauge shotshells Friday night (500) and shoot starlings all weekend. with trap guns. They are still here but not as bad. They get in my spouting with leaf guards and plug it up every year. Since first of year my tally is 88 with an airgun. :)

Jim