Well so much for brand new BSA mk2 .....

Something wrong with the forum, posts keep disappearing and I have to keep logging on. Hopefully, the mods can get it fixed?

So, trying again:

The fill valve comes apart pretty easily - mine was gunked up with the green stuff. It's just a spring and a follower/guide in the valve body.

I changed out 5 o-rings in total, used very light amounts of molykote 111, reassembled the regulator block. Pumped the rifle up to 1000psi and tada! It still leaks.

Pulled the stock off once more, and the air was leaking out of the two holes in the end of the regulator. So, on to stripping the regulator I guess.

Ken, I did pull all of the parts out of the fill / check valve assembly. I also removed the tank to regulator block fitting - I think that is the part you were asking about. Bummer it still leaked but.....

The reg is not complicated. There are only two o-rings in it to worry about. The main o-ring (and the one causing your leak) is the regulator piston o-ring. Mine was brittle like your tank o-ring was. It literally cracked in half when I removed it. The other o-ring is where the stem / needle of the reg piston slides thru and makes contact with a ball bearing. The ball bearing seals against this o-ring to stop airflow into the regulator when the reg chamber gets to the set pressure. If this small o-ring goes bad the gun will function as an unregulated gun would.

I think I posted this before but here are my post clean, seal and lube number for reference. I left the reg at factory setting but backed slightly off the hammer preload. This got me some more shots within the stated extreme spread after the gun came off the regulator.

50 shots 15.89 JSB 3400psi fill

Hi -874 Low -859 Avg -866 ES -15 SD -3

This chrony string is one of 5 that I recorded. It is the "middle" one. The other four do not vary from this one by much.

Reactions: kenc295
Look for the obvious. I got mine and quickly sprung a leak from the buddy bottle oring. I did not remove the bottle correctly and after reading the directions is plainly said what I did would cause a leak. Before that it did not leak. Last week I sprung a second leak. I have had the bottle off and on a lot as I have been working on an anti hammer bounce device. I assumed it was the bottle oring again so I replaced it. Before I replaced it I couldn't even get it filled. Air shot out the fill port nearly as fast as I could fill it. So I replace the oring and same issue. I thought I would be one of you guys and have to replace all the orings (which I have since bought). Before I did I decided to look at the female area where the bottle screws in and saw a little, very little, black slimy gunk particle on the flat area where the bottle oring rests. I got a q-tip mad swabbed the area clean. I then filled the rifle up like normal and it has held 232 bar now for a day and a half. So that piece of gunk wouldn't allow me to even fill the rifle to now everything works great.

Got the regulator out and disassembled. I'll clean the green off it tomorrow night, IT was a bit difficult to get the inner half out, and the piston was quite stiff in the bore. Not sure if either of those matter but I guess I'll see.

1534899542_4984901515b7cb5562bf206.46588210_P8200019.JPG

This is like whack-a-mole.

I cleaned up the regulator and changed the three seals that Rodeo mentioned. Like Rodeo's, the o-ring on the piston was dry, compressed and brittle. Reassembled it all and it leaked from the front of "part 38'" as XTX calls it.

Stripped it again and replaced the two o-rings on the front of part 38, reassembled it and now it leaks from the back of part 38.

I guess tomorrow, I'll strip it again and replace whatever seal or seals there are in the back end of part 38.

This has been pretty stupid. So far the fill port leaked - fixed it, the bottle seal leaked, fixed it, the regulator leaked, fixed it, front seals on part38 leaked, fixed it.

And it still leaks!

Me again.....

Couldn't wait till tomorrow so removed part #38 and changed out the large o-ring. Reassembled it and it leaked!

Wait a minute, it's leaking from the bottle. Had to loosen the bottle off about an eight of a turn an the leak stopped - perhaps that bottle has been on and off too many times and I need yet another bottle o-ring? Anybody have a bottle that can't be dead tight or it leaks?

Pumped it up to 3000psi and so far no audible leaks. 

1534916912_4767897555b7cf930a0a2f9.32350375_P8210021.JPG

We'll see how it is tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed for your help - however this turns out.

" dead tight " sound wrong to me but I may be missing something.

With sealing orings never realty tighten very hard it will deform & pinch the oring and mess with the seal. The oring needs enough room left to swell/push/move/seal. Think of it like the oil filter on a car, just tighten only untill touching/slightly snug then " just" a little ( 1/4 turn?) more. On rigs with an oring between 2 valve halves you can usually insure a leak by simply applying maximum possible hand pressure. Airguages , barrel orings, just snug.

John

Just from memory - which according to the wife is lacking - I think most but not all were .22

I would think that when the SE model came out these mk2 models also went on clearance overseas. With the .177 models being more popular over there (12fpe laws); I bet most all of that calibre were sold quickly. Not that it makes any difference to us. Just speculating.

Well, I paid for the 10 for $10 under the assumption that when it says they check for leaks that they do so over a long period. Apparently I was wrong, as my rifle was shipped to me with a certificate stating that it didn't leak. When I got it, the gauge was at about 70bar, so it had leaked in transit. I filled it, and it noticeably dropped over an hour. I think they only check for a catastrophic leak.

Also, I am betting if it doesn't leak now, that it will in a short while, unless for some reason the camos were stored/treated differently than the blacks?

" dead tight " sound wrong to me but I may be missing something.

With sealing orings never realty tighten very hard it will deform & pinch the oring and mess with the seal. The oring needs enough room left to swell/push/move/seal. Think of it like the oil filter on a car, just tighten only untill touching/slightly snug then " just" a little ( 1/4 turn?) more. On rigs with an oring between 2 valve halves you can usually insure a leak by simply applying maximum possible hand pressure. Airguages , barrel orings, just snug.

John

John,

Thanks. I assumed that the bottle bottomed out on the brass fitting, and that the right amount of space was designed into the fitting. If that is simply my mistake then I might be golden this time.

Yup, fingers crossed for the gauge inspection when I get home.................

I also paid the 10 for 10 and mine also leaked. Mine is a .22 and had the exact same issues as everyone else. I sent PA a strongly worded email and haven’t heard back yet. I bought the same o ring kit as Ken and replaced some of them yesterday. Seems like it’s been holding air but I’m going to let it sit for a few days to make sure before I use it. My main leak seemed to be the bottle but I also replaced several o rings in the block/regulator assembly (but not everything). In the xtx videos he has a small hook tool, what’s that called? I couldn’t get a couple oring out with the tools I had so I wouldn’t be surprised if I spring a leak again.

Im disappointed that PA is calling these new, mine was definitely from 2015 and like others have said my seals were hard and brass was green and crusty. I didn’t even realize the bottle had an oring on it, I thought it was a flat plastic spacer and the oring was completely missing. Guess I can’t complain too much because of the price but still, PA should put some type of warning on these or sell them as NEW OLD STOCK or something.

Maybe PA or somebody is giving these a better once-over now that they are aware of the leaking issues. Could explain the increase in price.

Mike, I truly hope this one is leak free for you.

Kingston is right. List them as New / Old Stock so buyers can have a heads up. It is possible that PA was not aware of the age of these R10's. At least it sounds like PA is taking care of everyone that has had issues. I picked up a set of picks from Harbour Freight. Come to think of it, they were right next to the metric o-ring assortment I also bought.