FX Well it happened......m3 leak

My beloved, excellent shooting, M3 has developed a leak. I've checked the easy to check spots and couldn't find it.
It's well within the warranty so off it goes.
It's a slow leak, taking about 24 hours to drop about 60 bar but leak it does.
Now to decide if I want to ship it during these crazy holiday shipping times or wait until after Christmas.
It's still very usable for target or squirrel so..........................

Is that on the primary reg or second reg?
I have no idea. It's not anything external like through the barrel or in the breech. I'd take it apart to see but don't have the reseal kit, and with it currently being my only air rifle it will be quicker to just send it in. I'll order a reseal kit and some other toys when I send it in.

Reactions: MEC17670
I have no idea. It's not anything external like through the barrel or in the breech. I'd take it apart to see but don't have the reseal kit, and with it currently being my only air rifle it will be quicker to just send it in. I'll order a reseal kit and some other toys when I send it in.
Sounds like a plan.

broekzwans is mad cuz fx developed a leak haha
oh no not at all, but it doesn't help the topic starter at all to just post the same thing over and over in every topic that mentions anything related to FX. Yes the impact has a lot of orings and therefor is more prone to developing a leak so it helps best to just point in the direction of common leaking points. Everyone is helped with getting back to shooting again earlier, that's what this forum should be for.

Made a video once of how to clean and rebuild the front reg, not the best quality but at least it helped some people.

video for front reg rebuild

It’s still accurate. Three this afternoon to add to this mornings take.

IMG_3915.jpeg

I would not drop any soap/water or leak detection fluid of any kind into a reg vent hole. Those leaks can be very very slow, and two things will for sure happen-
1. It’ll be a leak so slow that you’ll tell yourself the leak isn’t coming from there after eyeing it for 15 minutes
2. You just added liquid into a hole that’s not meant to have liquid.

On regulator vent holes, this is what I suggest-
Wipe area around hole down with rubbing alcohol. Then place a small strip of electrical tape over the hole. Take a small roundish tip tool like the ballhead on a 3mm Allen and push the tape in . The tape will indent inwards and you’ll see a sharp outline of the hole’s edge against the tape. So just like a belly button, you just made an “Insey”.

Come back an hour later and if an “outsie” bubble has formed over the hole then that tells you you’ve got a leak.

Do understand that a vent hole is there as a breather for the reg, while shooting. But for a gun to just sit and leak then it’s one of the o rings within the reg

Last edited:
👆👆. Sounds like great advice up there. I know these guns have a lot of orings but I’d be willing to bet the number and areas that generally leak aren’t that great. Just a matter of finding it. Look at it this way. The act of pulling off old orings and putting on new ones isn’t difficult. You have to take your gun apart to do it wether it has 10 orings or 42. I guess the point I’m trying to make is I think people get too hung up on oring number.

Reactions: Airgun Al
My beloved, excellent shooting, M3 has developed a leak. I've checked the easy to check spots and couldn't find it.
It's well within the warranty so off it goes.
It's a slow leak, taking about 24 hours to drop about 60 bar but leak it does.
Now to decide if I want to ship it during these crazy holiday shipping times or wait until after Christmas.
It's still very usable for target or squirrel so..........................
If I were you, I would get rid of it ASAP.
I just so happen to know a buyer.....ME!
Just kidding!
2.5 bar per hour is indeed, a slow leak.
You have mentioned some key things like "warranty ", "beloved", "excellent shooting", and "still very usable".....
If it were me, I would absolutely hold off shipping it due to the holiday rush.
Have you ever seen videos, of how many packages get shipped this time of year, and how well they get handled?
Frightning!
I would wait until after the holidays to ship.
I would then double box it well, over insure it, and sit back and wait for FX factory authorized team, to repair it well.

Reactions: dens228
This morning I sat down with my leak detector liquid and took my time. I figured this leak was so slow I may be missing the bubbles. As I sat there working my way through the obvious spots I found it. Where the bottle adapter threads into the block. Verrrrry slow leak. Took off the bottle, degassed, took off the adapter. Boom, there is was. The oring was fine, but it appears the silicone grease they used had dried up a bit and a tiny piece of dried grease was on the ring.......I mean this thing was like a grain of sand, maybe a tiny bit bigger. Cleaned it off with a compressor to get everything, lightly lubed, put back on, no leak.