Well I managed to shoot myself last night.

Glad you are OK. I have not done that but I do not feel immune. I never load my guns with the action out of the stock. I've seen it done on youtube but I just don't feel comfortable with it. I had never had an accident with my table saw until last year when I did something stupid and got some stitches. So I do not assume I am immune around guns either. It just takes one bad decision and you can get hurt.

Handling guns for decades in LE and being a avid hunter and competitor, the best advice I have heard is:

Handling guns for decades is Like driving a car for decades, most of us will have accidents, it is where we have that car or gun pointed when they happen that is all important. That muzzle direction will determine if it is a tragedy we can never recover from, or a great embarrassment that educates us about being too comfortable with our equipment.

Regards,

Roachcreek

Thanks everybody for the well wishes! The pellet is still in my back, but no fever or signs of infection. The Doctor said just leave it there as long as it isn't causing a problem. I was being careless and paid for it. I got off easy. A few degrees difference in angle, the pellet would have done life threatening damage.
Glad you're OK !! As others have said, your experience serves as a healthy reminder to respect all our guns. I'm a little surprised the doc would want to leave the pellet being that it's lead!! Wouldn't that be a concern??