Well I managed to shoot myself last night.

Found a peculiarity in my pcp. I own a nova liberty. I had it out of the stock adjusting hammer spring tension, reg pressure, and shooting across a chronograph. I had it on safety(i thought). I had laid it on a table that was the same height as my bottom rib ( I found this out at the hospital). When I went around the table I picked the gun up. It went off and shot me in the side(the trigger is unprotected out of the stock and touched the table) The pellet travelled about 5 to 6 inches in between my ribs and skin along my back. 563 fps, 13.43 grains, 9.45 fpe. It was a comedy of errors on my part, first off trusting the safety. After analysis, when you remove the assembly from the stock the safety lever can travel beyond the safety position. Which I had done. Got a pellet souvenir, but a couple of degrees difference in angle it could have been way, way worse. 

Reactions: Scotty1
I also do not trust a safety, actually i never use it on any gun.

Still working on a gun on the living room table i feel uneasy walking in front of it, even if i know it is empty and decocked,,,,,, some times i actually throw my arms in the air just to entertain myself.

The name of the thread got me thinking of the youtube guy " i just Fking shot myself" ( adult language in that 10 year old video )

PS; i have also seen a guy shoot himself, with a .22 rim fire, one of the idiots i wasted my youth on, anyway he jammed a Ruger MK1 into his pants, it went off, scooted down his leg between it and the jeans, and hit him in his foot.

sort of sorry it did not hit more vital parts, he was the kind of guy you like to see not reproducing. ( well we most where that kind of people back then )

yep .. working on them or cleaning them is when it usually happens, we're all extremely experienced with handling guns, just not so much so when theyrr apart .. luckily ive never got myself, blasted one off in the house a couple times in the past though . sounds like a painful spot, just good thing it wasnt something more potent, coulda been alot worse right ..

Glad it wasn't worse!!! Hard lesson for sure!

My first gun was an Anschutz 141M back in 1972. In our first outing my Dad shot a hole in the trunk of our Old's Toronado with it somehow when he was unloading it.

Years later when I was 15 or so I also had an accident with it that almost resulted in severe injury or death. Basically the gun went off and the bullet hit the stock on my friends rifle which sent plinters into his arm.

I found out the problem was #1 my gun handling was bad (never point the muzzle at anything you don't intend on destroying) but #2 was that when the safety was put 3/4 the way on if not paying attention, and when I checked/pressed the trigger to make sure that the gun was on safe, and then took the safety off thus putting the safety on fire, it would cause the sear to disengage thereby dropping the firing pin and firing the round!!! Certainly a very dangerous design fault which could have gone very wrong if we were less lucky! 

Earlier this week there was a guy with us when we were shooting firearms that pointed his muzzle at us with his 45 while loaded. I had just shot a few rounds to make sure it was sighted in for him, then handed it to him with the safety on, muzzle pointed downrange of course. Instead of shooting off the rest of the rounds at our steel he turns around to help pick up his brass, which I had already started doing, therefore pointing the muzzle at us which I was not pleased about and was quick to mention to him(I thought he would have laid it on the table but nope)??!! Unbelievably later on he even pointed another pistol towards his face when adjusting the sight so I asked if his gun was unloaded, nope it wasn't!

I try to either decock the gun, or open the action, or do both, nowadays. But always make sure the gun is pointed in a safe direction before I do and anytime a gun is handled. ND's and AD's happen unintentionally so the muzzle pointed at something not intended to be hit "is paramount".

Reactions: Smitty911
Glad you are going to be ok and it didn't hit a major organ. Sounds like it could have been much worse.

I know that feeling of "oh sht" I just shot myself. Had it happen a few months back. My Huben leaked the air out while in my gun cabinet. So I took it out to the garage to refill so I could find the leak and had it laying on a stool while filling. I didn't think to check the mag or rotate it to an empty chamber before I started. I was standing between it and the air tank and as it filled it went off. The 18 gr jsb stuck in my left middle finger that just happened to be about a foot in front of the barrel. Luckily it was only going about 350 fps or so. I had to pull it out with pliers.. worst part was my grandson walked in and saw it . I felt so stupid for not checking the mag first. Just glad I didn't shoot him. Definitely a wake up call about safety.

This pic
20210920_175956.1647803726.jpg
 Is after I pulled it out. Never bled but it did do some nerve damage as my finger tip gets cold easy now.