Welcome to our newest section - Big Bore Airguns !

Every .257 I know of shoots slugs primarily since NO ONE makes .257 pellets. My two make well over 215 ft/lb and except for the .30 caliber requirements in Texas for deer hunting meet the power specifications for big game. My .257's will shoot .25 pellets as well but have to be de-tuned or the pellets will not be stable in flight. If the .357 can shoot slugs AND pellets then yes I agree.

How about this section only for slug shooters? I know, I know, the cat that developed the HMAIR .17 slug topic will be questioned. Somewhere there has to be a fine dividing line. 

Im not sure how many lbs. foot that 17 HMAIR makes, so how about a combo of slugs and the 150 lbs. foot that Michael suggested? If the rifle owner chooses to shoot 35 caliber pellets then he should not post in this section. If the next week he uses slugs, he’s back in this section.

i, for one, even though I own a 30 cal Bully, will never post up my experiences cause I’m shooting pellets. I don’t see myself shooting slugs ever, cause I can’t afford that habit. I’ll just be a lurker on this section, lol

I don't like the Slug-only qualification......I shoot only Diabolo pellets in my .50 DAQ and no one will argue that it is not a big bore. there are also pellets available for the several .72 cal pistols and rifles out there......The term "Big bore" relates to bore size, not power.

.25 cal airguns have been around for a long time in the sport, and just in recent years, the .257 and .30 cal bore + guns became popular for larger game air gun hunting....thus the "new" category for forums.

I think .257 cal and up should be the qualifying factor, as is done in other forums; that covers the slug guns almost completely, so power level qualifications would then be redundant. "keep it simple"

I don't like the Slug-only qualification......I shoot only Diabolo pellets in my .50 DAQ and no one will argue that it is not a big bore. there are also pellets available for the several .72 cal pistols and rifles out there......The term "Big bore" relates to bore size, not power.

.25 cal airguns have been around for a long time in the sport, and just in recent years, the .257 and .30 cal bore + guns became popular for larger game air gun hunting....thus the "new" category for forums.

I think .257 cal and up should be the qualifying factor, as is done in other forums; that covers the slug guns almost completely, so power level qualifications would then be redundant. "keep it simple"

I agree that big bores should not be limited to slugs only. 

I respectfully disagree about caliber size. I have several .30 airguns & I dont consider them big bore because they simply dont generate that much more energy than some of my .25's.

Whether you draw the line at .30 or .35, consider that most air gun forums and shooting competitions consider .30 as big bore; why not be consistent with the industry. I have also found that the non-shooting, or general public is not aware of any airguns over 25 caliber.

As another thought worth considering, while on the subject, I would rather not draw attention to the existence and increasing proliferation of big-bore Airguns.....it will just shorten the time when these will be legislated into extinction for public ownership and use, along with firearms. My nearest neighbors think I am just shooting BB guns and I will try to keep it that way.

Very good point Steeve

Airguns are getting more and more powerful 

I'm trying to keep as low profile as possible with my neighbors

Previous guns were loud and they visited me with complains

Only one thing saved me from them escalating complains to police, I showed couple .22 cal pellets

You know - it's just BB gun...

Had to switch to quiet guns, I know by law it's legal to use an airgun on your property, but I just don't want unnecessary attention.

What can be better than shooting around your house without anyone asking what are you doing.

It was that way for years, till one house was sold to rich doctors - one and a half year of endless construction, while they built the huge fancy house

As soon as they moved in, any shot sound even from my .22 cal airgun, they would walk to my house and would start complaining how not safe and disturbing it is.

I had to forget about my Evanix .357

Only super quiet Pulsar .25 saved my fun days.

Let's enjoy while we can, before someone starts pushing new regulations

If your . 30 cal is a glorified pigeon gun shooting pellets, then this should not be designated as "big bore". Borrowing from Jim Chapman's write-ups, this is a mid bore, and is becoming mainstream (.30 cal pellet guns). A big bore should inherently carry a power designation that comes with the name. My opinion, 150 ft/lbs min. but 200 even better. Can the rifle be used for a smaller deer sized animal?

Yes Michael, keep the new section for larger bores and/or smaller callibers (.257+) shooting well above normal airgun power ranges:)

.30 is not mainstream or anything close. .177 and .22s are "mainstream. There are thousands of them out there for every .30 cal. .30s with pellets give 80 FT LBS or better, plenty for smaller Deer or self defense at close ranges. Regardless, that has nothing to do with drawing a line to separate small bore from big bore air guns.....in 10 years .30s may become common enough to list with the small bores, but I doubt it, since few people really need them, they use a lot of HPA, and until State laws give you something big enough to legally hunt with a .30 cal. In my state, there is nothing to hunt or defend myself against, that a hot .25 can't handle. My vote is still for big bores to include .257s and up, just based on how few there are, compared to the hundreds of millions of .177 to .22s. even the ,25s are not common place. If Michael wants to draw the line at .357, that's ok with me too, It is not that big an issue to worry about.