• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Weird POI Shift During Shooting Session (Please Help!!!!)

Kevin , he did switch out the scope but he’s not using a nightforce or equivalent either I’ll bet you They do go bad and these lower or even mid priced scopes wear and break. Especially if they are run to the maximum of their vertical adjustment limits which we do because of the trajectory of pellets out of air rifles it may not be the scope (s) but it is not impossible that two scopes are bad either . Especially since his symptoms match up to what happens when it is a scope . AND nothing else seems to be wrong. 

Yeah, it could be two scopes, but doing the exact same thing? That would be quite a coincidence, although not much surprises me anymore. That's why I've suggested his hold. It sounds crazy but I've seen it multiple times and I've done it myself. A while back I had that exact same thing happen from a shooting prone from a mat with my Crown. I'd be shooting tiny little groups, get up to fill my gun, get repositioned and the POI would change. Id fill my gun again and the POI would go back to where it was. I couldn't figure out why, it was driving me crazy! I remembered seeing it happen before so I focused on my cheek weld, stock placement, loading the bipod and trigger press. Problem solved. I was shouldering the gun differently and loading the bipod at a slight angle, the POI definitely changed. It's a simple little thing and most of us that have been shooting a long time don't even think about it but it does happen! Stoti

It takes very little to change the POI almost impossible to eliminate all but one variable. Any time I shoot and I get two groups in the same string and the groups are an inch or so apart with some shots going in to one hole and some shots going into another. (Two tight groups). I’m thinking scope until proven not to be. BUT having said that when shooting anything from sling shots to hand grenades nothing stays exactly the same. How many times I’ve shot a 5 shot group at 50 that’s under a dime laid the gun down picked it up 15 minutes later only to have the group open up to quarter size or shift left or right up or down an inch or both. I always suspect it’s conditions changing that I’m not aware of but STOTI maybe onto something. Perhaps I (we) are doing something that we are unaware of. Keeps it interesting.

Thanks, guys, for all the responses and advice given. So the culprit was, in fact, the scope.

Luckily the Athlon brands have a lifetime warranty, that includes the lower end Talos BTR. I took the scope back to the shop where I originally bought it from and after phoning the local distributor here in South Africa I was sent home with a brand new scope, my POI shifts troubles are now a thing of the past. The new scope has the rifle shooting as it used to, and I can't tell you how relieved I am.

I suspect the reason for the scope malfunction was dialing it to its uppermost limits as this was a point discussed on this thread, I only had 6.5 MIL of elevation left on the turret. With the new scope and the way it is set up I currently have 8.5 MIL of elevation at my disposal and I would need to get a set of FX no limits mounts down the line if I require more. For now the Cat is back!

Cheers

Rhooster