• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Weird POI Shift During Shooting Session (Please Help!!!!)

So I finally bought my dream air rifle 3 months ago, after saving up some cash and selling off a few rifles. It's a .22 Cal FX Wildcat MKII, the last one that was available here in South Africa and probably one of the last of the range. 

I ordered and installed the Huma reg and power plenum and shot the H&N 21gr slugs at 900/910 fps with laser accuracy (until I ran out. No more left in South Africa). I then turned it down and shot the 18gr JSB's at 900 fps, again with laser accuracy. I do a lot of pesting on the dairy farms in my area and took my longest kill shot on a pigeon at 125 yards and took regular shots at 85 yards with confidence. Long story short the more I shot the rifle the more I loved it... Until!

Recently I noticed I was missing shots that should have been sitters. So I went back to my zero range, 30 yards, to re-zero and get the beast back to its deadly self. Its been 3 days and I can not get the rifle zeroed. As soon as I think I have it zeroed my POI would jump half an inch during my shooting session, no rifle bump, no dialing on the scope, not even a parallax adjustment and the POI would randomly jump. I ran the rifle over the Chrony and the speed was still consistent between 900- 910 fps. Sometimes I'll get a full mag in one ragged hole and then the shift on the next mag, sometimes it will jump after 3 or 4 shots and it will continue to do so throughout the session. The groups stay within an inch to an inch and a half of each other but at 30 yards I was getting pellet on pellet before, and that is what I have come to expect from this rifle.

I started the process of elimination. Took out the pellet liner and gave it a thorough cleaning, re-installed and same result. I played around with the bolt tightness that secures the liner and still could not fix the problem. I then re-mounted my Athlon Talos BTR taking care to have it as level as I possibly can, re-zeroed it, and still got the same result. I then mounted a different scope, thinking that it might be the Athlon scope giving me trouble and still had the same problem.

I then disassembled the rifle, took out the reg, and adjusted to a different pressure setting. I made sure to take my time reassembling the rifle and again after tuning and zeroing, the POI would eventually start to jump. 

After exhausting all options I can think of, two tins of pellets, and emptying my cylinder, I am at my wit's end. All that's left is the liner that could have been damaged somehow and needs replacing or could it be the scope rings (UTG Picatinny rings) that could cause this issue?

Has anyone ever experienced this problem or know how to fix it? Please I am desperate. 

Sounds rather simple. Either your pellet liner and or barrel assembly isn'/aren't properly secured or you have a clipping issue somewhere up front or your probe/pellet pusher is loose. Yo!

I’m pretty confident that I have fastened the barrel sleeve and liner well enough. I shot a group without the moderator and still experienced the same problem so I don’t think it’s clipping. I have not considered the loose probe theory yet, what effect would a loose probe have on the POI and how would I test that this is in-fact the issue and then fix it?

Have you eliminated any problem with the magazine? You mentioned cleaning the liner, how? Before eliminating fouling as an issue, I would clean it good with rod and brush, and then polish with JB paste.

I can’t say that I have completely eliminated the Magazines. The Wildcat mags are pretty simple straight forward magazines and I don’t think there’s a lot that can go wrong in them? The O- rings seemed fine upon visual inspection, is there something else I should be looking out for?

The cleaning process I followed was running several patches with the patch worm kit through the barrel, one with a bit of Q20 followed up with a few dry patches and then repeating that process until the patches come out clean.

I'm not clear on what the rifle is doing right now. Do you get a great group and then a shift of POI, or just lousy groups. If the former, then it seems to me it has to be related to an attachment issue of some sort. But I've seen a fouled barrel cause a wide range of problems.

I will get a good group and then a sudden POI shift, the new group that formed away from the POA will be a tight group and then a sudden shift again, then all a sudden there will be 3 or 4 flyers and then a tight group will start to form again. I have shot the rifle without the moderator, should I consider another test without the shroud?

If the air stripper screws onto the liner, attach it and, with liner lying flat on a table and air stripper end off the edge, roll it and see it you can see any run out. 

If the shroud/liner assembly checks out, I am still suspicious of the liner being fouled. I know it seems counter intuitive for a fouled liner to cause this problem, but I've seen it with barrels, and I expect a liner could do the same. Mine came around after an aggressive scrubbing with nylon brush and rod, and then JB polishing. Otherwise, it may be as an orthopedic surgeon told me when I asked what caused the pinched nerve in my back, "it's a mystery". At least I'm not charging you!

I had the EXACT sam problem..Try polishing the barrel. That solved my problem
1f44d.svg

Good to hear from someone who has experienced the same problem. 

I have never polished my barrels before, only used patches to clean it? What polishing method and compounds did you use on your barrel or did you send it in to be done by gunsmith?

Do me a favor and see if you scope is tracking correctly. Just take a shot. Turn the adjustment ten to the left and back ten. Go the other direction. Do that right and left then up and down. Maybe take your hand and tap the scope. Do it the second time. 

I think it's the scope because it's seems just POI not accuracy. Not that I am an expert but if you think you couldn't have TWO bad scopes you don't walk in my shoes

I can't figure how barrel issues would affect POI. If you had lost accuracy and not the POI changes I'd be right there figuring it might be needing cleaned. I'll bet you that after you polish the barrel you'll have to shoot a fair number of shots to get it to group. Rimfire and air rifles are "funny" about cleaning. Some times it helps and some times it DOESN'T

Best of luck with this. It's frustrating.

I had the same problem with one of my guns a few years ago. Drove me nuts!! I did as you have & eliminated everything I could think of. Had a few people say scope issue but I couldn’t my scope being bad. The gun was never abused, dropped or banged around. Had a Vortex scope on it. I finally put the gun in a vise & clamped the vise to the table where there was no possible way it could move. Set up a target & made sure it was on target then didn’t nothing but put pellets through it. It shot a ragged hole, I put about 100 pellets through it no flyers or change in poi. Took it out of the vise & shot it poi would change while it was shooting it. Turns out the scope was definitely bad. Sent to vortex & the replaced it no questions asked. 

Could be as simple as your hold. Sometimes the tightness or placement of gun to your shoulder, cheek placement, trigger pull or something similar could be the cause of poi shift. If the groups are still accurate after the POI shift it wouldn't be the liner, damaged ammo or something loose, the pattern would be random, not laser accurate. It could be the scopes erector slipping or something else in the scope like bowdude and bubblerboy suggested. That would make perfect sense too, but you've already switched it out. 

Stoti