• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

AEA Weird failure to fire AEA bolt action HP MAX

Brand new AEA HP SS Max

Filled last night to 4000 psi and had a couple of dry fires to test supressed/ unsupressed then ran 6 pellets through it. All good and running to spec 900-940 fps.

Topped it up to 4500 psi (Max fill) and took it to the range.

Could NOT get it to fire. Tried fully cocking multiple times and would just get the click from the trigger group but no gas.

Took it home and rodded the barrel to check it was clear before cocking it back and firing.

Low and behold, it cracked off just fine. Took it outside and sent a few pellets off. No issues.

Glad I had my 1022 in the car or it would have been a wasted trip to the range.

What am I doing wrong here?

I have a HP Max .30. My fill is 3,700psi and refill is 2,600psi. You may have just took a trip to valve lockville. Just because an unregulated gun says you CAN fill it to 4,500 doesn’t mean you have to. Your transport back and forth to the range along with the possible temperature changes may have let the pressure drop just enough to get things going again. You also can’t discount a sticky valve coupled with you filling to a regulated guns pressure.

Reactions: mr_nom_noms_
I have a HP Max .30. My fill is 3,700psi and refill is 2,600psi. You may have just took a trip to valve lockville. Just because an unregulated gun says you CAN fill it to 4,500 doesn’t mean you have to. Your transport back and forth to the range along with the possible temperature changes may have let the pressure drop just enough to get things going again. You also can’t discount a sticky valve coupled with you filling to a regulated guns pressure.
This makes perfect sense to me. My house is set to 77deg and on the range it was hot as balls today. I guess a quirk I need to be aware of.

Thanks for the reply.

What I've also learnt since getting it is a 5" tanto ain't enough for its bark. A leishy behemoth is on order

It takes a good can to tame the bark on these cannons. If you don’t have any unregulated gun experience, which is what I gathered because you filled it to 300b, start by under filling it first and watch the chronograph. You will find quickly when the velocity starts off too low for what you’re after in relation to where the gun peaks out on speed. My gun peaks out in the 920’s or 930’s and I think I start out around 880. Once you figure out your fill and refill range, I just put tape on my gauge so that range it all that’s visible. Then it’s a no brainer if you don’t shoot the gun much and have way more important things to remember.

image.jpg

It takes a good can to tame the bark on these cannons. If you don’t have any unregulated gun experience, which is what I gathered because you filled it to 300b, start by under filling it first and watch the chronograph. You will find quickly when the velocity starts off too low for what you’re after in relation to where the gun peaks out on speed. My gun peaks out in the 920’s or 930’s and I think I start out around 880. Once you figure out your fill and refill range, I just put tape on my gauge so that range it all that’s visible. Then it’s a no brainer if you don’t shoot the gun much and have way more important things to remember.

View attachment 374921
Yep this is my second pcp so not much experience with them. I'm just glad I learnt something and the gun isn't bricked. Great tip and thanks for explaining that to me. I'll have some chrony time and see what she likes :))

They are crude cannons but mine shoots quite well for what it is and that lawyer trigger. They aren’t meant to be precision instruments so keep your mind in that place and take what it gives you and enjoy it. I have my hammer spring backed off pretty good from how I received the gun. Because the gun is ported too big, it doesn’t change much as far as shot count and ES goes. It just changes the pressures where the bell curve is.

Reactions: mr_nom_noms_