Weirauch vs AA Quality

Instead of making 3 posts about your AA problems, post all you questions in the same area, and you’ll be more likely to get the responses you’re looking for. That is of course, unless you’ve already made your mind up (based on your disappointment in the stock issues), and you’re just looking for as many people as possible the agree with your decision!

I'm not one of them. Buying a new gun because of a stock defect is a little ridiculous in my book. Have you even shot it yet??

Your going about it the wrong way because both are good and each has it good points and many followers...

I have Both,the AA has better blueing is of great quality, and better balance for Me..

The HW97 is my favorite because it is much easier to load.

Air Arms has been and still is one of the best and longest-lasting air gun companies around,so is HW.

Yea get the 97,BTW,my TX200 has a great Walnut stock and is a well-made and accurate air rifle.

Only way for you to know is to have both in your hand and shoot it, I have both and both are as accurate as you can get, feature i like the hw97 because the ease on cycle in each shot because there is no extra safety pawl you have to disengage and the loading port is easier because its cut bigger, I like the tx200 because its oozing with 1st class feature like the bluing is just no comparison and the stock is just class A, shooting cycle is fine with me and no issues with the extra pawl to disengage. only complain on both gun is that they are so heavy.

If set up correctly the TX has the edge.

A 97 can be made better than a TX and vice versa, but all things being equal from an identical tuning house, the TX takes the title. Stock and mechanics have the edge and many do not like this new line coming from HW of garish white decals and laser etched name into the stock.

In recent years, there has been a slight drop in quality control with HWs, but this can occur anywhere, and even rarely on AA guns.

Thus, there is an element of luck when collecting that perfect gun prescribed by a forum like this.

For me, always preferred the Prosport but it requires more work to match these pair. I just prefer the look and neater lever….full bore firearm look.

Reactions: Nitrocrushr
With many recent complaints on quality control issues, be very carefull who you buy from... It is my opinion that dealers are taking on blemished or factory seconds and passing them on as new rifles due to limited supply. To many recent complaints that dealers should very well see before shipping!! When custoners complain they just say return it. That costs a lot of money so...where is that extra money comming from?? The discount a dealer gets for blemished guns. Back in my days the mfgr would pay the dealer to fix or repair andpy blemish that got thru quality control, but doesnt appear to be the case today!! Buyer beware is all I can say......

Which is better quality? I'm thinking of exchanging a TX200 for a HW97K. Thanks.

Quality is very high with both guns and preference between the two is largely subjective.

R

Agree, quality is the same, AA spends more time on the stock and metal finish - almost to excess (and U pay for it). Otherwise everything else is subjective. To me the TX in heavier and less pleasing to shoot, but that's me - not you. I'm NOT a big fan of under lever's in general... 

I've had HW stocks with defects and off centeredness between the stock's wings at the cocking pivot point. I think both companies are better quality than average, a step up from Gamo and Crosman, but not the ultimate. More a solid B+ A- 8/10 effort. 

Vendors are almost all average, when you find a great vendor they often get popular and customer service declines because they can't hire good people to work for peanuts and most people buy based on price, thus creating a race to the bottom where people give up and buy from overseas with zero customer service. 

Right now the best quality guns are coming from Daystate and Airguns of Arizona but I've heard horror stories about both businesses because negative reviews are amplified and more passionate. Or you might work with Martin at RAW, John Thomas in PA for Euro springers, or any of a dozen other quality builders and tuners. Certain airgun-smiths can take a good gun and tune it, swap parts until it becomes a great gun for a price (I have two springers like this). You can always buy a beautiful after market stock for you airgun and pay several times the price of the gun for nice wood. So AA and HW are good starting points if you are willing to invest more than the purchase price into making a great near perfect gun but they are only the beginning of your journey. 

Look at the Springer Field Target results and winners, modified AA and HW guns lead the way. But none are stock out of the box. 

That said, if you're coming from Walmart box store guns and going into a bone stock AA or HW it will be a huge improvement (usually). 

Reactions: SpiralGroove
The Weihrauch has less problems and lacks a few of the shortcomings that the AA can have. Here are some actual physical differences and issues between the two.

AA issues: 

- Prone to eating breech seals

- Lockup issues caused by tolerance stackup from wear in the pot metal cocking shoe and the pivot points in the linkage. 

- Underlever retention is affected by lockup (see above) and the ball bearing detent is less positive. 

- Barrel shrouds working loose (documented here on this forum recently) and causing the underlever detent to not function right. 

- Compression chamber nut can leak causing power loss/lockup issues

- Aluminum forearm bracket can cause issues with cocking, especially when fitting some aftermarket tuning kits

Weihrauch issues: 

- Their .22 barrels are piss poor and have oversized bores in my experience. The .177s have always been excellent

- Tend to be overlubed sometimes and causes burnt piston seals. 

There's my take based on owning and repairing multiples of each over the years. I don't and won't ever own another TX in any flavor. I still have a safe full of HW77/97s. 

Pick your poison...

I would concur with most of these comments, especially in regard of the venerable HW77. What a great rifle that was as is the HW80….indeed my favourite. However, there has been a raft full of reports in reg of quality issues with these new HWs over the last year, since going over to this horrible new stock design and crap white etching, instead of the firearm quality stamping of old. Its just annoying development to cut costs. Recently tuning a HW99 which had sharp edges and burrs all down the cocking slot, cutting into the seal. Its not acceptable.

I have no idea what in the hell HW are doing with this relief gap cut into the base of the butt below the cheek piece, now being added to the HW35 that had been getting it right for 50 years….why add condom shaped chequering over that perfect forend groove.

Stock design should be functional of course but must also be a thing of beauty to create pride of ownership. Think full bore safari rifle stock….its not bettered….dont try and do it different.

Conclusion, get a 3 year old HW prior to these worrying developments and compare that against AA and i might agree.

Which is better quality? I'm thinking of exchanging a TX200 for a HW97K. Thanks.

I bought the TX200 in .177 first some years ago, I loved it for its build quality and balance but I had to buy the HW97 in .177 to know and appreciate the difference. For me, they're both keepers and it's always great knowing that I own and shoot 2 of the greatest fixed barrel springers ever made. you can't go wrong with either one of them.

I've had HW stocks with defects and off centeredness between the stock's wings at the cocking pivot point. I think both companies are better quality than average, a step up from Gamo and Crosman, but not the ultimate. More a solid B+ A- 8/10 effort.

Vendors are almost all average, when you find a great vendor they often get popular and customer service declines because they can't hire good people to work for peanuts and most people buy based on price, thus creating a race to the bottom where people give up and buy from overseas with zero customer service.

Right now the best quality guns are coming from Daystate and Airguns of Arizona but I've heard horror stories about both businesses because negative reviews are amplified and more passionate. Or you might work with Martin at RAW, John Thomas in PA for Euro springers, or any of a dozen other quality builders and tuners. Certain airgun-smiths can take a good gun and tune it, swap parts until it becomes a great gun for a price (I have two springers like this). You can always buy a beautiful after market stock for you airgun and pay several times the price of the gun for nice wood. So AA and HW are good starting points if you are willing to invest more than the purchase price into making a great near perfect gun but they are only the beginning of your journey.

Look at the Springer Field Target results and winners, modified AA and HW guns lead the way. But none are stock out of the box.

That said, if you're coming from Walmart box store guns and going into a bone stock AA or HW it will be a huge improvement (usually).

I've had HW stocks with defects and off centeredness between the stock's wings at the cocking pivot point. I think both companies are better quality than average, a step up from Gamo and Crosman, but not the ultimate. More a solid B+ A- 8/10 effort.

Right now the best quality guns are coming from Daystate and Airguns of Arizona but I've heard horror stories about both businesses because negative reviews are amplified and more passionate. Or you might work with Martin at RAW, John Thomas in PA for Euro springers, or any of a dozen other quality builders and tuners. Certain airgun-smiths can take a good gun and tune it, swap parts until it becomes a great gun for a price (I have two springers like this). You can always buy a beautiful after market stock for you airgun and pay several times the price of the gun for nice wood. So AA and HW are good starting points if you are willing to invest more than the purchase price into making a great near perfect gun but they are only the beginning of your journey.

Can you tell me what you did to address the off centeredness between the stock's wings at the cocking pivot point? I am having the same issue. Thank you!