HW/Weihrauch Weihrauch’s

The HW 50's serial number dates from 1972 or '73. As C-i-O noted, the OEM piston seal was undoubtedly leather (the big HW 35 switched to synthetic piston seals around 1980, and the smaller models after that). The gun also probably has a 4mm transfer port, in recent years guns with plastic piston seals have gone to around 3mm.

The HW 50 was Weihrauch's first post-war airgun, made from around 1951 to almost 2000. It is unique in having the company's smaller receiver tube (30mm O.D., 25mm I.D.), with a threaded-on rear section, same as the big-tube HW 35, 77, 80, etc. It's a very fine intermediate-power rifle - think of if as what an HW 30 wants to be when it grows up, ha...

Last edited:
Thanks, Getting my eyes checked next week.
Thanks for the contact info, I’ll check out for sure. Crow

Thanks, you made my day. Here’s the serial no.View attachment 447013Where would I get a Ricord trigger assembly?
Would this have a leather piston seal?
Would Vortek have both seals or Chambers in UK? Crow

I‘ll never take it to a 100 yds. Can’t see that far. Crow

I didn’t see the 7 till I saw the pic. 😜Crow

Thanks. This is all new to me. But lovin it. Have a few new guns but these are the ones I can’t wait to open. Crow
I took the prosport out to 100 yards on Sunday, but the wind was blowing hard..lol. I did manage to hit the paper I was aiming at, came as close to 2" from the bull, but that was it with the wind.

The HW 50's serial number dates from 1972 or '73. As C-i-O noted, the OEM piston seal was undoubtedly leather (the big HW 35 switched to synthetic piston seals around 1980, and the smaller models after that). The gun also probably has a 4mm transfer port, in recent years guns with plastic piston seals have gone to around 3mm.

The HW 50 was Weihrauch's first post-war airgun, made from around 1951 to almost 2000. It is unique in having the company's smaller receiver tube (30mm O.D., 25mm I.D.), with a threaded-on rear section, same as the big-tube HW 35, 77, 80, etc. It's a very fine intermediate-power rifle - think of if as what an HW 30 wants to be when it grows up, ha...
I have a Weihrauch-35 without "F" #231xxx with a Record trigger. Please tell me what year it was made.Thank you.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I hear ya! A couple R8's have passed through...but this homely 50S stays around. Maccari innards, shoots great, and fits me like a custom-made gun. And is also wearing a 13mm Williams sight, made for Air Rifle Headquarters.

My mistake, mine is also a ARH branded one....such a sweet little shooter, maybe someday I'll get the bluing re done on her, but probably not🤣 I like having rifles that are only in "ok" condition.....I'm not as nervous about scratching them.hey while I have your attention, and we are on the subject of sights.....I'm looking to buy a diana "82" sight for my model 75 t-01, have you ever owned one of these sights? Are they as wonderful as I think they are? Might finally have a chance to get one, but he wants a strong amount of $ for it......do they live up to the hype?

My mistake, mine is also a ARH branded one....such a sweet little shooter, maybe someday I'll get the bluing re done on her, but probably not🤣 I like having rifles that are only in "ok" condition.....I'm not as nervous about scratching them.hey while I have your attention, and we are on the subject of sights.....I'm looking to buy a diana "82" sight for my model 75 t-01, have you ever owned one of these sights? Are they as wonderful as I think they are? Might finally have a chance to get one, but he wants a strong amount of $ for it......do they live up to the hype?
I have any old Diana NOS sights for sale. I'll probably list them on eBay.

DSCN8757.JPG

Unfortunately that's just the standard sight, not the optional "82" like I'm looking for.out of curiosity though.....is that one stamped " T-01" on it?
I didn’t look at what stamps were on this sight; diopter sights were only installed on T01 and were never installed on a Diana crossbow trigger. Show me what your optional sight looks like and I’ll tell you if I have it. If this is what I'm thinking about, then yes, one of my Haenel rifles has an optional micrometric sight, which is impossible to find. And yes, it works better than the diopter one.

DSCN8793.JPG

DSCN9229.JPG

Last edited:
Unless it has been fiddled with previously, your HW50 should most definitely be leather sealed @crowski.

I have used the Chambers leather seals, and can recommend them with the caveat that they will have to be sized on their O.D. to fit the compression tube I.D.
Thanks. I’ll check them out. Crow
Mundilar (Portugal) sells record triggers. I have done business with them and find them reliable and quick to ship.
Again thanks for info. Don’t have this contact, but do now. Crow

Thanks for info, interesting. Crow
I took the prosport out to 100 yards on Sunday, but the wind was blowing hard..lol. I did manage to hit the paper I was aiming at, came as close to 2" from the bull, but that was it with the wind.
I think the furthest I’ve shot is 75-80 yds. so far. Used a HW80 .25. Crow
I think there's a used one on eBay
Thanks, will check out. Crow

Check out this link (scroll down quite a bit for the HW serials):

Thanks. I will keep this. Crow
I have a well loved 1977 hw50s....great little rifle! I also have it in the "r8" trim, but that ones a beauty queen though, and I find I grab the beat up old 50s with a rare beeman branded 13mm Williams peep way more then I grab the r8.
This 50 is a beater. A good start. A R8 would be sweet. Crow
I hear ya! A couple R8's have passed through...but this homely 50S stays around. Maccari innards, shoots great, and fits me like a custom-made gun. And is also wearing a 13mm Williams sight, made for Air Rifle Headquarters.

You’re right, this fifty feels great to hold. I like the Barakuda as well. Shot them both yesterday. Crow

Hey while I have your attention, and we are on the subject of sights.....I'm looking to buy a Diana "82" sight for my model 75 t-01, have you ever owned one of these sights? Are they as wonderful as I think they are? Might finally have a chance to get one, but he wants a strong amount of $ for it......do they live up to the hype?
I've never owned one of the model 82 sights, but handled one at an airgun show a couple years ago. It is made by the Swiss company "Elit," and really lovely. I don't know that it will help you shoot any better than their standard models, LOL, but yes it is a step up quality-wise. Note that classic Anschutz sights will also fit any Diana rails just fine though and are relatively easy to find.

The boxed sight shown in the post above is a Diana "Diopter 60." It will fit the models 60, 65, 66, and 75 match rifles, and many of the older Diana sporters, but NOT the 75 T01 rifle. The "Diopter 75" fits the same guns. The "Diopter 75 T01" fits ONLY the 75 T01 rifle as far as I know.

These pics all show the 60, 75, and 75 T01 left-to-right. The latter two look much alike, but the Diopter 75 T01 has a narrower flat rail shape, and "T01" embossed on top:

Last edited:
Reassembled and out for a shakedown.
20240320_115342.jpg

All is not coming up daisies though, as it appears to be down on power a smidgen.

OG leather seal was in great shape and was reconditioned with 30wt silicone oil, new breech seal, innards were descuzzed and sparingly lubed with Macarri tar, and original HW spring was reused. I used thrust washers front and rear so there is a bit more preload on the spring
It now throws JSB 8.4s at 630ish, and I am thinking the original spring is probably tired?

Thoughts from the collective? Input or thoughts are always welcome.

Just for giggles, here are some old chrono numbers from my near-identical old HW 50. Numbers following each pellet name are weight (grains), average velocity (FPS), extreme devation (FPS), and standard deviation (% of average velocity). All test strings are fifteen shots.

Whatever was in it when I first got it (I assume OEM spring and seals):
RWS Hobby, 6.9, 671, 26, 1.1
BSA Excalibur, 7.3, 674, 47, 1.7
RWS R10 Pistol, 7.7, 611, 40, 1.6

Reconditioned original leather piston seal, new breech seal, Maccari HW 50 kit (spring, guide, lubes):
Eley Wasp, 7.3, 694, 24, 1.1
RWS Hobby, 6.9, 717, 26, 0.9
RWS Superdome, 8.4, 659, 33, 1.4

Same setup but with Maccari HW 55 spring:
RWS Hobby, 6.9, 713, 16, 0.7
RWS R10 Pistol, 7.7, 667, 12, 0.7
RWS Geco, 6.9, 722, 55, 1.9
RWS Superdome, 8.4, 623, 31, 1.4

It now has the 50 spring in it, but I may put the 55 one back; noticeably more pleasant behavior with minimal speed loss.

Suggestion: try RWS ammo in yours. Some of the old HW's have a noticeable taper in the breech leade, and RWS stuff generally has the snuggest, best-sealing skirts. You may be getting a bit of blow-by with the JSB's.

Last edited:
I have any old Diana NOS sights for sale. I'll probably list them on eBay.

View attachment 447169
These sights are fairly common...but not boxed in such nice condition! And the real jewel may be the FRONT sight - the ones that have a threaded sleeve on both ends were made only for DIana's match guns. The same basic sight, with only a rear sleeve, was used on their sporter rifles.

As discussed above, these sights fit a lot of models, just not the 75 T01. You may be well-served in the future to hang on to it! 😁

Just for giggles, here are some old chrono numbers from my near-identical old HW 50. Numbers following each pellet name are weight (grains), average velocity (FPS), extreme devation (FPS), and standard deviation (% of average velocity). All test strings are fifteen shots.

Whatever was in it when I first got it (I assume OEM spring and seals):
RWS Hobby, 6.9, 671, 26, 1.1
BSA Excalibur, 7.3, 674, 47, 1.7
RWS R10 Pistol, 7.7, 611, 40, 1.6

Reconditioned original leather piston seal, new breech seal, Maccari HW 50 kit (spring, guide, lubes):
Eley Wasp, 7.3, 694, 24, 1.1
RWS Hobby, 6.9, 717, 26, 0.9
RWS Superdome, 8.4, 659, 33, 1.4

Same setup but with Maccari HW 55 spring:
RWS Hobby, 6.9, 713, 16, 0.7
RWS R10 Pistol, 7.7, 667, 12, 0.7
RWS Geco, 6.9, 722, 55, 1.9
RWS Superdome, 8.4, 623, 31, 1.4

It now has the 50 spring in it, but I may put the 55 one back; noticeably more pleasant behavior with minimal speed loss.

Suggestion: try RWS ammo in yours. Some of the old HW's have a noticeable taper in the breech leade, and RWS stuff generally has the snuggest, best-sealing skirts. You may be getting a bit of blow-by with the JSB's.
RWS 7g Hobbys got it to 700 FPS, but the 8.3 Superdomes were solid at 605..... so maybe down just a little bit from your examples. Thanks for posting that by the way, it is a good bench mark to work off of.

I have a new 55 spring I may try, but I believe that I will preload the spring a bit more and see where it lands.