HW/Weihrauch Weihrauch’s

crowski

Dec 14, 2020
On, Canada
I was bitten by the bug again. These were available for a while. I’ve been painting my interior house, nasty job. Got the itch last week. A box arrived today. A box inside the box I scored a HW 50 .177 1972 with an inscription. Hope it’s true.
IMG_8232.jpeg
It’s a beater.
IMG_8233.jpeg
This doesn’t have barrel droop, it has barrel miss alignment. Guess the barrel droop this isn’t new.
I have a straightener on its way. I should have it on the 28th.
IMG_8235.jpeg

‘Another box in the box. A HW90 .22. I now have all 4 calibres of the 90. Can’t wait to play with them together. These are tanks. Had on hold.
IMG_8237.jpeg

Ok Ok best for last. A Weihrauch Barakuda .22. A HW35 with a supercharger.
IMG_8242.jpeg
IMG_8244.jpeg
Apparently you feed it either to double it‘s velocity.
IMG_8241.jpeg
Same as the 50 not the greatest condition but good starters. You don’t hear of the Barakuda.
IMG_8246.jpeg
Have the check the seals. This breach looks worn. I don’t know much about these but will learn.
IMG_8249.jpeg
I was hoping to put these sights on but they seem small. Don’t if on the v-groove.
IMG_8248.jpeg
IMG_8243.jpeg
Looking forward to shooting these, but not going to happen for a while. This could get tight for space. Crow

I was bitten by the bug again. These were available for a while. I’ve been painting my interior house, nasty job. Got the itch last week. A box arrived today. A box inside the box I scored a HW 50 .177 1972 with an inscription. Hope it’s true. View attachment 446810It’s a beater. View attachment 446811This doesn’t have barrel droop, it has barrel miss alignment. Guess the barrel droop this isn’t new.
I have a straightener on its way. I should have it on the 28th.
View attachment 446812
‘Another box in the box. A HW90 .22. I now have all 4 calibres of the 90. Can’t wait to play with them together. These are tanks. Had on hold.View attachment 446813
Ok Ok best for last. A Weihrauch Barakuda .22. A HW35 with a supercharger.View attachment 446814View attachment 446818Apparently you feed it either to double it‘s velocity.View attachment 446817Same as the 50 not the greatest condition but good starters. You don’t hear of the Barakuda. View attachment 446820Have the check the seals. This breach looks worn. I don’t know much about these but will learn. View attachment 446808I was hoping to put these sights on but they seem small. Don’t if on the v-groove.View attachment 446809View attachment 446819Looking forward to shooting these, but not going to happen for a while. This could get tight for space. Crow
awesome collection you have. Now go and make more pegs..lol.

That Barakuda is very intetrsting. It uses a medical ether ampule in the charger to cause the gun to diesel. They say it's too hard on pellets. At full power the heads of the pellets would sometimes blow off and the rest of the pellet would get stuck in the barrel. So because of this it was recommended to use lead round balls instead of pellets. The round balls worked better.
If you ever get that thing fired up let us know what kind of results you get.

Love the 90s, my newer 50 has droop but it’s fine with open sights. Good luck with your new guns 💪
I think I may just leave the iron sights on. If I bend it back it will look like a pretzel. Crow
awesome collection you have. Now go and make more pegs..lol.
You’re so right. Got to find some. Crow
700 yards accurate? Lol. The barracuda is pretty sweet. Hell, they all are.
Oh ya. 700 yds. My new squirrel gun. Might need a scope. Crow
That Barakuda is very intetrsting. It uses a medical ether ampule in the charger to cause the gun to diesel. They say it's too hard on pellets. At full power the heads of the pellets would sometimes blow off and the rest of the pellet would get stuck in the barrel. So because of this it was recommended to use lead round balls instead of pellets. The round balls worked better.
If you ever get that thing fired up let us know what kind of results you get.
Thanks for the info, I’ve read that. I might be a while, but I will. Crow
How do this think work????? Do you need to pump it or is it just one pull to cock it?
I’m not sure. I haven’t had time to even look at it.
I won’t use the either. I just want to bring it back to life and shoot it as a regular rifle. Crow

I think I may just leave the iron sights on. If I bend it back it will look like a pretzel. Crow

You’re so right. Got to find some. Crow

Thanks for the info, I’ve read that. I might be a while, but I will. Crow

I’m not sure. I haven’t had time to even look at it.
I won’t use the either. I just want to bring it back to life and shoot it as a regular rifle. Crow
I think I need one of those. Propably won't find one.

How do this think work????? Do you need to pump it or is it just one pull to cock it?

The gun is cocked as a normal break barrel, then IF you want the diesel effect ether is added to the side tube. The side tube is vented into the compression tube and when the bolt is cycled a small amount of ether fumes is released.

Here is mine, you can see the original glass ether viles and some round shot.

149 HW54 EL, ether & lead ball.JPG

The original HW 50 is to me one of the greal all-round classics, nice rifle. You may be able to adjust the barrel angle by tweaking the breech seal. Also I note yours has the simpler Perfekt trigger, you can put a Rekord in it if desired.

The ether-boosted Barakuda was notorious for destroying breech seals (I have read it is the reason that HW changed from leather to plastic ones). It definitely needs replacing, but a current factory seal should be a drop-in fit. Legend has it this gun was also responsible for the development of the H&N Barakuda heavy pellet; it would blow the heads off lesser ones! Before that it used round balls as in DMM's photo.

As klentz noted older Weihrauch rifles have 13mm scope grooves. HW changed to 11mm ones in the late 70's, IIRC around the 780,000 serial mark.

Last edited:

Might just be a 100-yard gun...Germans typically write the digit "1" with a large serif at the top - and "7" with a slash across the middle. (But the rest of the line looks like English...who knows, I could be wrong, LOL.)

Last edited:
Might just be a 100-yard gun...Germans typically write the digit "1" with a large serif at the top - and "7" with a slash across the middle. (But the rest of the line looks like English...who knows, I could be wrong, LOL.)
That slash across the middle of 7 is developed by Finnish artillery general V.P. Nenonen because 1 and 7 got confused when they gave commands to artillery. Just a random quiz. :D

I just opened up a HW50 serial #744181, and it is leather sealed. The Weihrauch database puts it at 1979 or 1980 for date of manufacture. That jibes pretty closely with Mike's estimate of 780K being the change to synthetic.
20240319_123103.jpg

It has the plain stock sans buttplate, Perfekt trigger and front sight attached with a transverse dovetail.
I plan on giving the Perfekt trigger a fair chance to earn its spot in the rack. I have never fiddled with one yet, and the first stage is shorter than I like, but the release point seems to be very close to acceptable for me.

As an aside
I test fired the rifle and it was very tame with no twang or resonance present, quite surprising actually, and I thought that for once, I was gonna get off easy.......
As it turns out, big globs of very viscous half dried goo serves as an excellent dampening material....... it would appear that at some point a previous custodian did a lube tune through the cocking slot. What I assume is the OG Weihrauch grease was hard and crusty varnish like usual with a copious amount of moly bearing grease added as a bonus!

Last edited:
I think I need one of those. Propably won't find one.
You do.
The gun is cocked as a normal break barrel, then IF you want the diesel effect ether is added to the side tube. The side tube is vented into the compression tube and when the bolt is cycled a small amount of ether fumes is released.

Here is mine, you can see the original glass ether viles and some round shot.

View attachment 446916

Thanks for sharing.
Do you pour all the either in or just a drop ?
Reminds me of the movie I think The Deep. Nick Nolte and Jacqueline Bessette.

Crow,

Very likely that your Weihrauch Barakuda has the old 13mm dovetails which is why your Weihrauch 11mm rear diopter doesn't fit. Here's a recent 3 part series that Tom Gaylord did on his Weihrauch Barakuda

Thanks, Getting my eyes checked next week.
Thanks for the contact info, I’ll check out for sure. Crow
The original HW 50 is to me one of the greal all-round classics, nice rifle. You may be able to adjust the barrel angle by tweaking the breech seal. Also I note yours has the simpler Perfekt trigger, you can put a Rekord in it if desired.

The ether-boosed Barakuda was notorious for destroying breech seals (I have read it is the reason that HW changed from leather to plastic ones). It definitely needs replacing, but a current factory seal should be an easy drop-in fit. Legend has it this gun was also responsible for the development of the H&N Barakuda heavy pellet; it would blow the heads off lesser ones! Before that it used round balls as in DMM's photo.

As klentz noted older Weihrauch rifles have 13mm scope grooves. HW changed to 11mm ones in the late 70's, IIRC around the 780,000 serial mark.
Thanks, you made my day. Here’s the serial no.
IMG_8252.jpeg
Where would I get a Ricord trigger assembly?
Would this have a leather piston seal?
Would Vortek have both seals or Chambers in UK? Crow
I‘ll never take it to a 100 yds. Can’t see that far. Crow
That slash across the middle of 7 is developed by Finnish artillery general V.P. Nenonen because 1 and 7 got confused when they gave commands to artillery. Just a random quiz. :D
I didn’t see the 7 till I saw the pic. 😜Crow
I just opened up a HW50 serial #744181, and it is leather sealed. The Weihrauch database puts it at 1979 or 1980 for date of manufacture. That jibes pretty closely with Mike's estimate of 780K being the change to synthetic.
View attachment 447001
It has the plain stock sans buttplate, Perfekt trigger and front sight attached with a transverse dovetail.
I plan on giving the Perfekt trigger a fair chance to earn its spot in the rack. I have never fiddled with one yet, and the first stage is shorter than I like, but the release point seems to be very close to acceptable for me.

As an aside
I test fired the rifle and it was very tame with no twang or resonance present, quite surprising actually, and I thought that for once, I was gonna get off easy.......
As it turns out, big globs of very viscous half dried goo serves as an excellent dampening material....... it would appear that at some point a previous custodian did a lube tune through the cocking slot. What I assume is the OG Weihrauch grease was hard and crusty varnish like usual with a copious amount of moly bearing grease added as a bonus!
Thanks. This is all new to me. But lovin it. Have a few new guns but these are the ones I can’t wait to open. Crow