Weihrauch Vintage vs new models

I found a 70's model HW35 maple for sale that looks good to very good condition in the pics, and now I'm interested. Mechanical and quality/accuracy wise, are the old ones any better than the new ones? I'm not a collector, and am looking for function, and don't really want to pay for a collectable if it doesn't give me a 'better shooting ' rifle. Any words of advice or wisdom?

Reactions: MDriskill
The HW35 has not really entered in the collectors category to much as of yet. The 35 is the longest running model made and until this new stock design, it has been for the most part unchanged. I’m not sure when Weihrauch started building them so the breech leak that had been a problem, was fixed. Some people here may be able to let you know by the serial number if this one is after the manufacturing change. I am not sure how deep this issue went either. Worth finding out. Good luck.

Reactions: ITACUD
I would have absolutely no issue buying a 50 year old HW35 if it’s been well cared for. Only issue you might have would be if the rifle has been sitting for along time. If you don’t have the ability to replace a spring or seal then maybe you should consider a new one.
These two are over 50 years old and still going strong after some TLC.

877894B8-D1A6-4445-B537-B538C3294A08.jpeg

i wouldn't buy a 50-year old gun any more than i'd buy a 50-year old car.

the HW35 new is well under $400.
Yes, buy a new HW35E from Krale (y)--> you'll be spending too much time fixing up the old model.
Unless the Weihrauch is a HW55 or has the preferred Goudy stock, I'd buy new - their made better now days.

One thing to consider on the early 35s is some of them had poorly brazed compression tubes. This left a large pocket of space that stole pressure from the pellet so they had greatly reduced power levels. There's a fix for it but it's not easily done.

I've personally had much better luck with new rifles. All three used rifles I've bought turned into terrible money pits. I had to part out one for a loss and regret buying one of the other two. So I'm one for three. I've also worked on guns other people bought used that required a lot of correction.

I'm not saying every used gun is a dog. I'm saying it's a fairly good possibility. At least a new gun has a warranty if you do get a dog.

Now I'll only by a used gun if I've known the owner a while and have used the gun before.

Ymmv
Ron

I would have absolutely no issue buying a 50 year old HW35 if it’s been well cared for. Only issue you might have would be if the rifle has been sitting for along time. If you don’t have the ability to replace a spring or seal then maybe you should consider a new one.

View attachment 289234
Is that a factory stock on the left? I think it's beautiful. Both the shape and figure appeal to me.

Yeah, if I could buy Matthew's HW35 on the left, I would in a heartbeat ..., but likely he'd want $700+ for it.
Otherwise, get a new one from Krale.

The only thing negative about the new ones is the laser embossing on the metal instead of stamped.
The lack of finger groove could bother others.

A few weeks ago, I placed an order in at Krale for a HW35E (.177) (waiting until they're in stock) - and will likely sell one of my (3) older ones when it arrives (y).

Last edited:
To answer your basic question, there is nothing about older HW 35's that makes their performance inherently superior to a new one. HW has also maintained a very high standard of wood and metal finish on new ones. I wouldn't pay more for a vintage example than a new one, unless it was a discontinued high-end variant or otherwise exceptional.

But...not a thing wrong with buying a good used one at a good price, either! You want to ask the basic due diligence questions about condition, history, and performance of course, but the 35 is a quality piece and its basic mechanical design has been pretty constant since the late 1960's. Action changes since then include adding a safety (late 70's), going from 13mm to 11mm scope groove spacing (late 70's), plastic piston seal replacing leather (early 80's), and reducing the transfer port diameter (I don't know when that happened).

The 35 may not be "collectible" in the sense of being worth thousands, but it is VERY collectible if you are into history and variations! Over its life - about SEVENTY years - it's been sold under different brand names; had four different trigger designs (and many minor variations of the ultimate Rekord); had different barrel lengths; and seen countless changes to accessory bits like sights, trigger guards, sling swivels, buttplates, etc. Also some interesting limited-run specials like the ether-boosted EL 54 "Barakuda", chrome and gold-plated actions, and more.

Evolution of the stocks is a whole separate game. For years three designs were offered - basic Sport (always beech, not maple), Luxus, and Export (both European walnut). The Luxus went from a rounded, traditional German Bayern style, to an "Americanized" somewhat squared-up Monte Carlo design in the late 70's, the other two evolved in detail over time, and a beech thumbhole was offered for several years. Also a few short-run wood variations like a green laminated "Safari" model, and a rare factory Tyrolean. And plenty of 35's out there that have gotten custom attention from tuners, engravers, and stock makers.

Here's my two, a Bayern Luxus and an Export with 22-inch barrel. If anyone has some 50-year-old junk guns looking like this they wanna get rid of, definitely give me a call...
B9FD10A2-B8D5-4DA6-A179-202D41BDC063.jpeg

9070FEC6-A212-4940-A751-4A4FDAD2C2D6.jpeg

Last but absolutely not least, Danny Garvin's awesome "Vintage Airguns Gallery" site is always worth a look when any older model is under discussion:

Last edited:

View attachment 289234
Matt...absolutely gorgeous rifles....as always!

The question really depends if you are comparing a 50 year old gun (with all of its wear) or how the guns once were new compared to how they are now…..
If the latter, the older ones were of course better.
HW had a significant drop off in quality control, with galling issues along cocking slots and levers.
Stocks have added condom style chequering, cheap laser cut and horrible white stencilling, where once was solid stamping….yuk
As regards the venerable old HW80 and 55 models, these have never been bettered and probably never will.