• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HW/Weihrauch Weihrauch & Proper Screwdrivers

I am getting familiar with my fairly new hw35, and eagerly awaiting my hw97 from AoA. Being retired, I am shooting every day and as this is my first springer, I am learning a great deal from the rifle and the kind folks on this forum. Not being blessed with any semblance of handiness, I tend to learn by trial and error, much too much error. Anyway, I survived my latest crises and learned that I did not, in fact, break two scopes in a row, in the same day. The great shot groups, followed by erratic groupings turned out to be loose stock and ring screws.

Despite having no skill with my hands, I have accumulated a large number of screwdrivers over the years, yet I seem to have none that are a proper fit for the screws on my hw35. Forearm screw, rear trigger guard screw, front trigger guard screw and Rekord trigger screw, I have screw drivers of reasonable width, but not thickness and/or shank length. It is clear I will need to tighten these things regularly, so I need to buy proper screwdrivers.

Can someone please tell me the specific sizes of screwdrivers I need?

Also, I have read here that I need my Sportsmatch rings to be about 30lbs torque for the bases and 15-18 lbs for the rings. How about the torque for the stock screws?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Its funny. I ordered a slotted screw driver from a place but it was made in like Denmark.. funny thing is you put it in a screw head slot it fits perfectly stands upright on its own.

Now same screw using the usa like Stanley or whoever makes the draw full i got ( like you say above). You set one of any of them in the dlot its loose and as soon as you let it go it falls over and out .. lol.

I think bqck and wosh i bought a whole set from that place before it closed out of business.

So i get to wonder why the one i bought made overseas (eu) fit perfectly but the rest i buy here sloppy.

I just figured maybe over there it metric made ? Like the blade is metric not our usa standard..lol

Anyway i think you may try gunsmithing tools / screwdrivers
I think youll find a best fot the common Walmart or home Depot type drivers ..

Still i wing what i got and bugger the screw heads up ( like that darn hw hinge bolt / nut)🙄

Edit...

Last edited:
Reactions: maxtrouble and sjs
OP: You need to accumulate this set of Screw Driver bits From Brownell's I has virtually every size known in teh gun world. and it is a First Rate Kit.

If you are going to work on guns of any type You need this as a primary set of tools. I've had mine for 30 years the price has gone up a bit but still worth it!!!.

There are other cheaper sets but this one is the good stuff.

Hope this helps Randy

Hi sjs. I asked the same ?. I've heard of and know of gunsmithing screw drivers. I just can't find them in the U.S or amazon. They have a concave? bit. Which means it won't push itself out of the slot and marr your screws. I bet gunhouses in Europe know what I'm talking about. These kits you get at brownells or midway are not gunsmithing screw driver bits as they claim. If you find the real deal PLS let me know.

Reactions: sjs
The point of gunsmith screwdrivers is that the bits have parallel faces (NOT tapered like a typical hardware store tool), and precisely match the screw's diameter and groove width.

I've had the big Brownell's set for years, love it and have never buggered a screw. Wheeler also makes a very comprehensive set.

th-2730457532.jpg

When you look around and see what littles available wheeler pretty much got you covered . You search and loot and come full circle back to there offerings on what you get and the pricing of that.
Chapman makes noce stuff bit a little more pricy.

DeWalt has/ had there max fit line that the tips were hollow ground in the slotted tips .

Like for me kinda said above is a large (2) blades for the larger pivot bolt screw / nut of the hw hinge.. ikinda homemade them after i got mad and buggered the nut slot one evening.. 🤬

Reactions: sjs
I am getting familiar with my fairly new hw35, and eagerly awaiting my hw97 from AoA. Being retired, I am shooting every day and as this is my first springer, I am learning a great deal from the rifle and the kind folks on this forum. Not being blessed with any semblance of handiness, I tend to learn by trial and error, much too much error. Anyway, I survived my latest crises and learned that I did not, in fact, break two scopes in a row, in the same day. The great shot groups, followed by erratic groupings turned out to be loose stock and ring screws.

Despite having no skill with my hands, I have accumulated a large number of screwdrivers over the years, yet I seem to have none that are a proper fit for the screws on my hw35. Forearm screw, rear trigger guard screw, front trigger guard screw and Rekord trigger screw, I have screw drivers of reasonable width, but not thickness and/or shank length. It is clear I will need to tighten these things regularly, so I need to buy proper screwdrivers.

Also, I have read here that I need my Sportsmatch rings to be about 30lbs torque for the bases and 15-18 lbs for the rings. How about the torque for the stock screws?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Here is info regarding screw torque specs for the HW97K that I got from another forum - I’ve used these specs and it has worked very well for me:

30293746-6BEC-4195-B85F-AC447E99152B.jpeg

-Ed

I like the Wheeler set because it’s not just slotted bits. Believe it or not, not all airguns are HW LOL. And some non-HW guns don’t use slotted screws.
Lol... Phillips or torx stuff i do well in them , but getting the right sized slotted 🥴. But ya, hard to beat that wheeler kit . Then add or get the toque driver or kit one and pretty much be covered in air gun stuff ...

Anyway good luck.😉

Reactions: sekiar
At my gunsmithing shop I supplied each employee with a Chapman brand hollow ground gunsmithing screwdriver set. Good quality tools. However, that was decades ago and more comprehensive gunsmithing driver sets like the one from Wheeler Engineering didn't yet exist. I still have my old Chapman set, but these days the big Wheeler set is the one I use the most.

Being a new member here is costly. Every time I read a new thread, I either spend more money or am tempted to spend more money:(

You only need 3 or 4 sizes to work on a Weihrauch. I use a regular type straight slot cabinet driver for the trigger spring screw (a magnetic driver won't reach through the guard) and you may never need the T8. Maybe just buy those few and use a magnetic driver you already have. For most people most of the bits in a "fit all guns" kit collect dust.

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
I have 2 of these, one on workstation and one on shooting table. Wheeler torque driver. On my work table also have a variety of Wheeler tips.
IMG_6623.jpeg
Another recommended set is Grace. Individual drivers. Use these the most.
IMG_6624.jpeg
All of the above mentioned makes of Gunsmithing drivers or tips will work. Crow

I have 2 of these, one on workstation and one on shooting table. Wheeler torque driver. On my work table also have a variety of Wheeler tips. View attachment 385851Another recommended set is Grace. Individual drivers. Use these the most.View attachment 385852All of the above mentioned makes of Gunsmithing drivers or tips will work. Crow
Unless I'm not seeing it right in the photo. The Grace driver's are wedge tip. Wedge tip will work but gunsmiths use hollow ground tips. They have significantly better bite in machine screws. Your less likely to deform screw heads with hollow ground tips.

Reactions: Jaxjax

All you will ever need and made in America. The bits are made to fail BEFORE the screw gets buggered when used properly.