Weihrauch problem

07259076624d244a493b7ff8eafa73f0.jpg
f1589787a9c6d039eedbf8548d7a233b.jpg

I realized last night that they are multiplying or something??? I was looking for a particular gun and realized I had gone through a couple of places and still hadn't found it. Gun is located now, but I may need and intervention...

Lets see Allan,

R7, pre-safety, .177
HW 30, .177
R1, .177
R1, San Rafael, .177
R1, .20
R1, San Rafael, .177, 12 ftlb kit
R7, .177

All but two have Vortek kits in them. I don't really have problems with screws backing out on any and they all get shot a pretty good bit. The Air Arms guns probably have a little more of a "finished" feel, I know, I own a ProSport. But the Weihrauch guns are clearly built to last. All I need is a gun and tin of pellets and I am entertained for hours.

Heh... pre-safety is music to my ears :). Mine is a HW80 in .22, and other than cleaning the barrel and tightening the screws (most often for the trigger guard) I have done no maintenance. I tried VC-3, btw, and that didn't seem to make a difference. I imagine that I will go the tuning route at one point. Did you install the vortek kits yourself? Could you get by without a spring compressor? How is the shot cycle on the .177 in 12 fpe vs fac? Did you notice a difference before/after the vortek upgrade? I understand the HW30 is quite a bit shorter than the R1 (doesn't really look it compared to the R7 other than the obvious barrel weight). Do they both fit you well? What scopes do you have on these?

Yes, Allan, all the guns that have Vorteks, I did myself. I built a spring compressor for the first two jobs and it worked ok, but it was cumbersome. I then broke down and bought the Sun Optics compressor from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Sun-Optics-Spring-Compressor-ST1700/dp/B01FKNEV38/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520087157&sr=8-1&keywords=sun+optics+spring+compressor). That made life much easier. You could do an R7 without it, but an R1 would hurt you if you tried to disassemble it without a compressor. Both of the San Rafael R1s were purchased used. When I got them, they were dry, harsh and unpleasant to shoot. Afterwards, it was like night and day. The shot is just a solid thud, no drama, no spring buzz. I highly recommend it. My .20 cal R1, I bought new and after 7,000 shots, it lost velocity and became erratic. The spring was just done... I changed it and got back the new gun I had originally bought. The HW30 and R7 are the same actions. The stocks feel similar in fit also. They are quite a bit lighter and smaller than an R1. The R7 fits an adult fine. The old Goudy stock on the R1 is more comfortable than the modern R1 stock. The R1 is a handful. Shooting the R7 is like banging around with a 10/22 and shooting the R1 is more like shooting an M1 Garand. The R7s both have Hawke 2-7x32, this is the perfect size for that rifle and not bad glass for $99. The R1's have Hawke scopes as well, 3-9x40, 4-12x40, and 6-24x56 (aka Hubble telescope). The HW 30 has an old Beeman peep sight for my kids, because you have to teach them on open sights first.

Pick either R7 or the HW30, those guns will easily shoot circles around an R1. The R1 is a very accurate rifle, but a bit hold sensitive in in 12 ftlb in my opinion. I have had some very good groups with the .20 cal. It’s my favorite R1, but the R7’s are just easy to shoot and laser accurate. I have shot one-hole, 5 shot groups at 25 yards.

@coop709, thanks and I appreciate the link to the spring compressor. I will probably give this a whirl sooner or later, but kinda hesitant to mess with something that works for me. Although the safety annoys me. I really want a manual safety, or none at all and just decock. With a spring compressor how do back it off (or on) at the same rate as the gun so you don't screw up the threads on the gun?

Allan, I worried about the same thing. It's really not a problem though. The threads are very robust. You unscrew most of the end cap by hand without the spring compressor. Then, you place it in the compressor with light pressure. You then unscrew the cap until it tightens itself against the compressor. You then unscrew the compressor about a turn. Then go back to the cap and alternate between the two. It really wasn't hard at all. I was nervous the first time, but it went really smoothly.

Allan , Do you have any experience with a Feinwerkbau 124D ? It also has an 18 pound cocking weight , but higher velocity. Would you put a HW30 or R7 above or below in terms of accuracy or size and weight handling them. My buddy had an R7 , but I never got a chance to compare them straight across. I have considered getting an R7 , but I don't know if it would be any better then my FWB 124D .