Weihrauch HW97 stock off-center

Just purchase a Weihrauch HW97K. The rifle is a handsome thing except for off-centeredness of the stock wings where they stand off from the cocking lever pivot point.

This is of course, the newer version of the HW97 stock. It's kind of like having a picture frame that's not straight; Annoying!

I have tightened one side of the stock tight while leaving other loose in an attempt to even out the spacing on both sides.

I have also gently wedged the tight side out over night with a plastic wedge; being careful not to go too far.

It's gotten slightly better but is still obviously off center. The wood seems to have memory and slowly goes off center again.

Has anyone had the same issue? How did you address this?

Thank you!

Try loosening both trigger screws quite loose but leaving them started in the threads. Then remove both fore arm screws so the stock is loose to the receiver. Then start both front screws just into the threads. Be careful because it is easy to cross thread any of these screws. Then tighten the fore arm screw tight( the one with the most space) Then the other to match the gap. Then the trigger guard screw last.
Sometimes by aligning the front screws first then the trigger screws the stock aligns better to the receiver. If the trigger screws are not started first cross threading is likely.

Thank you Bear-of-Grayling for that suggestion. I did do a version of what you said. I just didn't start the threads on the trigger group first. I will start them first on my next try. It's a good precaution. I think the wedge technique is helping. I just didn't know if I should try shaving down any areas inside the stock or if I should leave it alone. I am reluctant to send it back, even though I just received it, because it just seems like something that can be solved.

Will try to upload a picture. This is after 3 nights under wedging. Looks much better still slightly off-center.

View attachment 20220708_111338.jpg

Here is my wedging operation. :) Using a feeler guage and a wedge. I'm careful not to over wedge.

20220707_084902 (1).jpg

The wedge thing is not working. I have heard that using steam to hydrate one side of the wood may cause it to bend away from the steamed side because when wood gets hydrated it expands / swells. OK, if anyone has had experience with this or a link to share. I would appreciat this. In the meantime I am also asking the retailer if they know of any solutions to this.

Ya, this gun the windage knob rubs when i cock it .
I just used a cardboard shim in the stock to push/ hold it out so the knob dont hit ..

I figure over time it my set up right with that shim in keeping it "straight"..

I put the shim cardboard so you can see it and where it at.. i can poke it down out of sight and mind..lol

scrubs.jpg