Weihrauch HW75

IMG-0868 2.1629664818.jpg
Looking to buy one as a match to my Beeman P1 and Daisy 747. I read that the scope mount groove is 13mm, but the old Beeman catalog says 11mm ? Which is correct ? My not-so-great 73-year-old eyes make open sights, especially at 20 yards or so, not an option. 

13mm 100%….If you need any advice, i could give no better than buying a 11mm to 20mm Piccy adapter and fitting either a 20mm red dot, or using 20mm mount grooves on the adapter i mentioned….

11mm adapters have a bigger opening than 11mm scope mounts and easily fit the odd ball 13mm rail and remain central.

I had heard that the unusual 13mm minimum dovetail was used because the more usual 11mm would have compromised the thin wall of the top strap if they had cut in any deeper.

The barrel on these likes Hobby Wadcutters for accuracy and JSB 8.4 grainers if you want a bit more M.E…The very latest versions have gone up slightly in power and have a stronger pump piston.

Reactions: Shutupuface
I have an HW 75 - really like the iron sights, but it shoots so well that I wanted to see what would happen if I added a red dot or a scope. Here is my measurement of the rail, and the technique Steveoo describes:

IMG_2667.1629750811.jpg
IMG_2670.1629750812.jpg

Adding the adaptor (UTG):
IMG_2673.1629750903.jpg

Attaching the red dot:
IMG_2676.1629750935.jpg

I just love those adaptors - very handy where dovetail meets Picatinny!

Could not agree more about those adapters. I have some with red dots on airguns, and a some set up for a couple of Marlin 39a Mountie, .22 LR rifles with vintage Weaver K2.5 and 3 x scopes, to fit the Marlin tip off 3/8" mount.

I recently had cataract surgery, ie intraocular lens replacement and went from near sighted to more far sighted but still have some astigmatism so get some flare with red dots, green not so much. I have been wanting to try a scope on a pistol so ordered a Burris 2x20 which came in yesterday and the post office has a set of Warne qd rings for the 3/8" -11mm base out for delivery today, so will not need an adapter. With the QD rings I can go from open sights to optical quickly 

I got the little Burris in the Warne QD rings mounted today, the rings are a tight fit, takes some care to get them to seat in the grooves but once in place tighten down nicely. I was surprised at how much more accurately I could shoot with the crosshair as compared to a small red dot. I went out for a few minutes before it got too hot, quickly zeroed it and then shot a ten shot group just under dime size at 15 yards, if you will discount the one flyer that I called when I pulled the trigger. This was using some of the cheap Crosman pointed pellets which fit the chamber rather loosely, and some looser than others. I suspect it will be a real tack driver with some good pellets, I just wish the eye relief was a little longer so I could hold the gun with arms extended.

I have been using those little UTG adapters on a variety of firearms and airguns. I have a couple of old Marlin 39a Mountie rifles, .22 cal lever actions with the Marlin tip off mount, a 3/8 grooved mount much like and about the same as the more common 11mm mount. Now I have a couple of vintage Weaver scopes, the lower power K models, one a 2.5 the other 3x, post and crosshair, ad one with German #3 Post reticules, in Talley quick detachable mounts with the UTG adapters so I can pop the scope off in a matter of seconds and use my iron sights. On the airgun side, some are in mounts for red dots, and a couple in scopes, both on some Crosman 22xx clones, and one for a little Burris scope on an HW 75

I recently had cataract surgery, ie intraocular lens replacement and went from near sighted to more far sighted but still have some astigmatism so get some flare with red dots, green not so much. I have been wanting to try a scope on a pistol so ordered a Burris 2x20 which came in yesterday and the post office has a set of Warne qd rings for the 3/8" -11mm base out for delivery today, so will not need an adapter. With the QD rings I can go from open sights to optical quickly

Two things -

1 - Have you tried your "other" eye ?

I also have astigmatism, am right handed, BUT...left eye dominant..!

BUT, all this adds up to using my "right" eye, even when shooting pistols (with red and or green dot sights). Way back when I was shooting firearms most every weekend, I used my left eye for shooting pistols. Now...because of my 71 yr old eyes, and yeah, having astigmatism, I use my right eye for all shooting.

2 - Another thing to note, NOT ALL red dot sights are made equal ! Most cheaper red AND some green dot sights, the colors "bloom" or "flair" the colors in my left eye, many in my right eye.

BUT...better red dot sights work MUCH better in that respect. Holosun, Trijicon, Leupold, (Delta point Pro), to name a couple, while more expensive, work very well with many folks with older eyes with astigmatism too. All of my cheaper red dots (or learning red dot sights !) are sitting on the shelf, cause...they just don't work well with folks with astigmatism !

Another ting to try, turn the brightness way down, so you can just make it out. That also help, me anyway.

Have you tried the "prism" sights ? Kind of a cross between a red dot and an actual scope. They work really well, even for us old guys.

Mike

Hi Mike. Agree about the cheap red/green dots. I have a couple of the e bay $30 specials and no way does the dot quality compart to my Leupold deltapoint , a Sig, Hawke or Vortex Venom . I do have a Seeall sight but have not had the opportunity to try it, looks like it might take some getting used to. Oh yes, I knew about turning brightness down, for shooting at targets or tin cans I like the brightness to the very dim point.

Actually the way my vision is now, either eye could be used, but my right is dominate. I can shoot just as well now without glasses as with, Looking at the target and front sight the rear is always a bit fuzzy, and was so even when I was nearsighted, so I really did not discern a difference in visual acuity in shooting both pre and post op, other than the fact that now I can actually shoot without glasses. Even before the surgery I could do fairly well without glasses using a rfle with a small aperture peep sigh, the old pinhole camera effect.

Now that this has sorta turned into an adapter thread, yeah, Eagle Vision adapters are nice.

There is another one or two on the market. One that I bought, didn't have the angles cut correctly. And the intersection of the angles was a radius, not a sharp angle. These two things lead this brand to be a throw away adapter. Sorry, I don't recall the brand, but check the photos in the sites carefully, must have sharp angles.

HW 45, .177.1642347292.JPG

Mike

Go with the 20mm adapter as it allows a much greater range of choice when choosing firearm quality red dots and firearm 20mm mountings allowing a much more robust fixing…

The only reason airguns ended up with silly 11mm dovetails was because the radius of the cylinder didnt allow firearm size 20mm dovetails and it sort of just stuck…20mm much better.

Go with the 20mm adapter as it allows a much greater range of choice when choosing firearm quality red dots and firearm 20mm mountings allowing a much more robust fixing…

The only reason airguns ended up with silly 11mm dovetails was because the radius of the cylinder didnt allow firearm size 20mm dovetails and it sort of just stuck…20mm much better.

Those little UTG adapters not only work for the 11mm dovetail, but the 3/8" Weaver tip off dovetail which calculates to about 9.5mm