• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Weihrauch HW50S....let’s discuss

I’m in the market for a light, compact springer that is well made, accurate and handy in the woods. I already have three fully outfitted large to magnum springers in the 9-10 lb carry weight range . I’m looking for a smaller to medium sized gun for all day toting. I looked briefly at the Beeman R7/ WH30 but decided it might be a tad to small for me physically and I would like a touch more power soooooo......how goes the WH50S ? Or what suggestions can you guys offer me ? 

I thought the same thing about the HW30 for a long time and never bought one because of it.

I finally gave in a couple of months ago and bought one.

All I can say is they are great guns, and mine doesn't feel small to me at all.

That being said, I ordered a HW50 last week and had it sent straight to the tuner.

My plan is for the 30 to be mainly a plinker, and the 50 for plinking and hunting.

I have killed two squirrels with my 30 so far, and both were DRT.

My 50 will be a project gun, I am getting the barrel threaded and will add a DonnyFL silencer. 

I thought the same thing about the HW30 for a long time and never bought one because of it.

That being said, I ordered a HW50 last week and had it sent straight to the tuner.

My plan is for the 30 to be mainly a plinker, and the 50 for plinking and hunting.

I have killed two squirrels with my 30 so far, and both were DRT.

My 50 will be a project gun, I am getting the barrel threaded and will add a DonnyFL silencer.

Got this adapter from Donny, fits like it was made for it (HW95) BTW light and powerful.

1581682234_12717376985e468e3ad13c37.99891280_32.JPG

HW30's do have a standard length of pull - they're trim and light, but not "youth-sized" guns. And while the low power may turn you off, that usually changes once you've had a chance to experience the joys of shooting a low-powered springer! Very effective on rabbits, tree rats and other small animals up to 20-25 yards, and great for general plinking well past that. 

The HW50 is supposed to be the goldilocks gun - lighter and more trim than an HW95, but considerably more powerful than the HW30. A lot of people really like them, but that's the only HW springer I don't own. For what you describe, I prefer the HW95 (which is same powerplant as your HW98, but standard stock and much less weight because no barrel sleeve) because at 12-14 fpe it's a delight to shoot and just a tad heavier than the HW50. An HW50 can be tuned to shoot at 12fpe+, but is relatively hard to cock and I don't like the resulting more aggressive shot cycle as much - the trade-off isn't worth it to me. But for others, it's perfect. 

All that said, there's really no point wasting any more time "deciding" what to get, as it's become clear that you have very quickly been afflicted with a serious case of airgun addiction and the only realistic solution is the buy them all!! If you have the means, I'd get an HW50 (probably in .177) and a HW30 (definitely in .177) and see for yourself. If you haven't discovered Krale in the Netherlands, you should check them out. Best price you'll find on Weihrauchs and the fastest shipping. Seriously, it will be on your doorstep 3 days after you order, and shipping cost for two guns is the same as one!

Reactions: Frogy
Check out the Hunter model of the 50 that AoA sells. Comes with the moderator pre installed, as well as slings, & no iron sights (which I prefer) They also sell a Urban model of the 30, that I personally own & adore, don’t discount it. If you go for the 95, again, they have a really nice looking one with scope & all, can’t vouch or not for the scope, it’s supposed to be BSA I think, that has been branded as Weihrauch. Actually they all come with the scope I think. They cost a little more, but I like the clean lines. Otherwise, as mentioned above, Krale can’t be beat. 

I’ve owned both. The Hw30 is a great plinker, very accurate and is low powered. I didn’t shoot any pests with it due to its low power and the fact that where I shoot is fairly open spaced and the pest species wouldn’t let me get that close. Must have been the high vis gear I would be wearing every time a pest would present itself.😂 I returned this rifle to where I bought it as it gave me nothing but trouble and it finally broke the foot of the end of the cocking lever. 

The new rifle is a HW50S in 22 cal. I’m very happy with it, just as accurate as my Hw30 and it really likes the H&N Baracuda Greens in 9.65 gr. Same trajectory as a 177 and hits hard out to 35 metres which is the furtherest I’ve shot it so far. To me there is no issue with cocking and is easy to hold and shoot with as well as not being pellet and hold fussy.

Gary

my hw 30 .22 cal is getting 480 fps with 16 grain jsb. straight out of the box, it will take small game, upland birds and rabbits out to 15 or so yards no problem at all.

what power are others getting in their hw 30.. both in 177 and 22 cals… any one run thiers thrugh the croney?

btw. ive read in lots of places that the hw50 is not very much more powerful than the hw 30...….but harder to cock and and harder to carry due to weight.

I have the stainless hw 30 with black wooden stock.. it never rusts and I never need to clean it.. its the most wear resistant gun I have ever used or seen// wow.

i will never part with it ither

my hw 30 .22 cal is getting 480 fps with 16 grain jsb. straight out of the box, it will take small game, upland birds and rabbits out to 15 or so yards no problem at all.

what power are others getting in their hw 30.. both in 177 and 22 cals… any one run thiers thrugh the croney?

btw. ive read in lots of places that the hw50 is not very much more powerful than the hw 30...….but harder to cock and and harder to carry due to weight.

I have the stainless hw 30 with black wooden stock.. it never rusts and I never need to clean it.. its the most wear resistant gun I have ever used or seen// wow.

i will never part with it ither

My HW30 with a Vortek kit shoots 705 FPS with JSB 7.33's

https://hardairmagazine.com/reviews/weihrauch-hw50s-air-rifle-test-review-22-caliber/

Above is a report from Hard Air Magazine on the HW50S that pushed me towards this rifle. Shooting the alloy pellets pretty well and mine does zip with them.

Gary

I've been trying alloys in my new RWS 34 .22 cal that I picked up on Ebay. I now have the 34 in both calibers. I don't know how accurate they're going to be as I don't have a scope on it yet. The Sig Crux alloy (listed at 10 gr but actually weigh 9.6) pop out at 925 fps. The Sig Wraith alloy (listed at 12.3 gr but actually weigh 13.3) will do 805 fps. How accurate are they in your HW50 ?

https://hardairmagazine.com/reviews/weihrauch-hw50s-air-rifle-test-review-22-caliber/

Above is a report from Hard Air Magazine on the HW50S that pushed me towards this rifle. Shooting the alloy pellets pretty well and mine does zip with them.

Gary

I've been trying alloys in my new RWS 34 .22 cal that I picked up on Ebay. I now have the 34 in both calibers. I don't know how accurate they're going to be as I don't have a scope on it yet. The Sig Crux alloy (listed at 10 gr but actually weigh 9.6) pop out at 925 fps. The Sig Wraith alloy (listed at 12.3 gr but actually weigh 13.3) will do 805 fps. How accurate are they in your HW50 ?

Wayne I haven’t shot these pellets ( H&N FTT Green 9.56 gr ) in my HW50S past 35 metres but I can achieve little fingernail groups of 5 very regularly. It’s only me that stuffs it up. Honestly it’s just as accurate as the HW30 I had. I shoot the H&N Baracuda Green 12.65 gr in my Hw77 and they are just as accurate as the H&N FTT lead pellets at greater distances and at 25 metres the Greens are amazingly accurate. Both rifles are 22 cal.

Gary