Weihrauch HW44 Air Pistol FAC Version

I was messing around with the moderator and honestly I don't see a way to get these set screws without making a mess. I did find that the front of the moderator does screw off so you can remove the baffling inside to clean the barrel. I also discovered that w/o the baffles installed the HW44 is way too loud for any friendly shooting - so I don't have any further reason to remove it. As long as I can clean the barrel without getting the baffles all greasy with Ballistol I'm okay. 

Friendly shooting can vary greatly. Glad to know it works for you if it is needed. Others might not need it and still others might view it as cumbersome. I am interested in the pistol but would not want one with the moderator on.

Totally true - for me friendly means being able to use it indoors. I'm sure you could drill the set screws and remove it entirely but it seems you'd probably trash it in the process.

The hammer adjustment nut on these doesn't have the locking grub screw to secure it like the hw100 (at least that I can see), and tends to wander.

Mine arrived shooting the 10gr jsb at 720 and then over a short time steadily decreased to around a minimum of 615 with a bell curve a peak of 670. The first symptom was initial wandering POI, then suddenly changed its favourite pellet. The way these guns and their reg systems are built, they somehow behave effectively entirely unregulated when the hammer tension is too low, bell curve and all. The only difference being the typical velocity spike as it falls off the reg. It remained deadly accurate once the plateau was reached.

Solution was a simple hammer adjustment with a tiny dab of locktite to the hammer adjuster, applied with the end of a toothpick. Been bang on 720 for 24 shots from 200-120 since, with no wake up shots or bell curve at all. It's happily shooting sub half inch at 50yds with a rest/bipod and 3-12 scope.

I bought mine from Krale, and live South Africa so sending the gun back isn't really an option for the little things.

1579180540_18859952925e2061fc5c7436.69359804_FC86410F-8ADE-4F8C-BB1E-4DE856A8FD13.jpeg
1579180541_12525302505e2061fd4e9d21.73129259_00A17353-266D-40EF-ADAE-C1842F6B9BFB.jpeg
1579180542_15172602885e2061fe6c5486.61832060_C8F92807-D359-4496-A17D-B283BD79F9D8.jpeg
I like the pistol so much l bought a second one in .22 cal. Both are incredibly accurate and get about 20 shots per fill. I bought the .177 from AOA and the .22 from the classifieds here. Both moderators unscrew and come off easily, they unscrewed in front of the set screws. I never tried the set screws after hearing they would shear off. I didn’t apply heat either, just a firm grip and a turn. They are both extremely accurate, the .177 being faster and flatter shooting. Here’s a gopher target at 60 yards, using two bags and a solid bench you can hit the head almost every time...at 60 yards!!! These pistols are more accurate than a lot of rifles!! Excellent trigger and very quiet. I would pick the .22 for hunting but I would definitely pick the .177 for distance and target shooting, flat and fast.

The moderator screws are actually not too hard to remove on the non-Krale purchased ones. The US based moderators are installed with grub screws the have a top which sheers off when they are installed to a certain tightness - thus leaving a grub screw with no way to back it out. Mine had no blue or red locktite of any kind. The good thing is these screws are made of really crappy quality metal so they will sheer at a certain torque. It's very easy to either dremel a small slot and unscrew them with a flathead or get some left twist drill bits and just back it out. Them get some set/grub screws off Amazon and replace with a nice quality steel hex head screw. Can all be done in under 30 minutes. 

Personally I have a lot of dislike for the aesthetic of having the moderator unscrewed and just the cap showing.