• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Weihrauch HW35E - got its Groove off!

Just received today “from Krale” a new Weihrauch HW35E. Walnut stock. Was wondering if it would have the old grooved forearm as the Weihrauch web sight shows a new checkered version. Not sure how long this new style has been out. Krale had just recently been restocked with this model in .22 caliber. Was hoping that It would be the new checkered model. Never cared for the groove. Krale’s sight still describes the grooved version. Don’t know if Weihrauch recently slimed down this stock but it is much slimmer than an old HW35E of many years ago. Really like it. It feels great in the hand.
BTW It took 3 whole days to get this from The Netherlands. Krale is awesome.

639996DE-3FB2-461B-8A6B-0DE0711FFE73.jpeg

Last edited:
I really hate to see the forend grooves go. It was a big part of what gave the HW35 it's iconic "old school" look IMO. I'm not a fan of the redesign, but still want one of the guns. 

You did real good on the wood lottery I think! That one has a nice piece of lumber for sure. Hope it shoots as good as it looks. Enjoy!

Reactions: Bolillo
Thumper has a good point. I think Weihrauch could have made the checkering more “traditional” and certainly kept their name out. “Best of both worlds”. However, I still like this new one better. If one were to hold both, the new stock and old stock by comparison, the new slimmer model would win hands down.

Wow that's a beauty! HW did a super job on the redesign, though I still count myself in the "finger groove" school. These were very carefully designed; the mid-point of the groove is invariably near the guns iron-sight balance point. And having kinda dinky hands, I like the feeling of my fingers "sinking in" to the wood a bit.

The stocks used on the 35 have always done a good job of masking the bulk of that big receiver tube, primarily by having a nice rounded fore end with an absolute minimum of wood "overhang." Back in the day, HW actually used several of the same stock designs on the 35 and original HW 50, which have the same receiver length and mounting screw spacing, so only the inletting width for the tube differed. Here's an example - an old walnut HW 35L, and the corresponding beech upgrade stock for an HW 50E. The outer contours and dimensions are identical.

7F5CA70A-854D-4E82-97E0-15CAC828F574.1642775910.jpeg
83953C21-FBC5-44D9-A778-9425A436BA72.1642775910.jpeg

Had an early HW35e “estate gun” probably made back in the 50’s. The thickness of the Walnut to receiver looked like your 50. It was a real chunk in my x-large hands. That’s why It’s gone. It was also.177 and preferred the 55. This new 35 is a completely different animal. Would have gotten one years ago “in .22” if known they thinned it down.