• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HW/Weihrauch Weihrauch HW100S Shot Count

Went to outdoor range today and set up at 30 yards. I brought the HW100 and my tools to adjust HST - again, I know. :( The HW100 is a 30 yard challenge gun for me mostly, with some occasional 50 yard groups/targets. Also, squirrels in the back yard too, but too loud so not that often.

Wind was light at about 2-3 mph and still at times. I wanted to get as close to 820 FPS as possible with the 18.1, as some have suggested that this was their ideal tune and sweet spot with the 18.1 and the 410MM barrel. This has been a looooooong journey adjusting HST about 20 times over the last few months, so I need to stop or get help. I don't know why, but I like doing this. I feel like I am chasing a ghost.

Here is my last shot string from today. I may have had a bad pellet, so I am throwing out the 835 FPS. Also, here are five 5-shot groups at 30 yards at approximately 817-825 FPS.

As an aside, I also ran out the regulator from a 200 BAR start, from approximately 823 FPS to a low of 749 FPS. When I looked at the needle, it was about 100 -110 BAR at the drop off. I believe I had about 36 shots before I saw a steady decline 784, 779, 765, 763, 749. I saved this shot string, but it is not in the pics. This is just FYI....

Question - I can order the H&N 21g, but I'm not sure if I can beat the accuracy at 30 yards with this tune and the 18.1 at 820 FPS.

View attachment 388026

View attachment 388027

View attachment 388028

View attachment 388029

View attachment 388030

View attachment 388031

View attachment 388032
Nice shooting!

Thanks.

Any thoughts on me trying the H&N 21g, that everyone seems to like? I know that this pellet is a bit heavy for the 36 Joule Carbine at 26- 28 FPE ( my gun ), but I am wondering if I dial up the HST and try and get the 21G to around 820-840 FPS, is that worth a try or not. Jay - your thoughts and anyone else's?
I'm really wondering if anyone has tried the H&N 21 g in the 410mm barrel with the lower power gun?

Thanks, Tom
Hey Tom, i tried the 21gr's out of the 410mm at several speeds and found best accuracy at about 830fps (with reg at 130) but they did not beat the 18.13gr's and especially not the 15.9grs (FX) which is my preferred pellet for this HW and performing extremely well out to 100yds @825fps. Had similar results with other H&N pellets which led me to believe the HW prefers the softer JSB made pellets over the "harder" H&Ns. Maybe because of the tight choke, can't say? In my testing i found lighter pellets to perform the best in the 410mm barrel and thats what i personally stick with. Aside from the extra 2-3fpe retained energy at 50yds and over i found little ballistic advantage shooting heavier pellets. The extra shots is a bonus too. Keep testing and let us know your findings!

Hey Tom, i tried the 21gr's out of the 410mm at several speeds and found best accuracy at about 830fps (with reg at 130) but they did not beat the 18.13gr's and especially not the 15.9grs (FX) which is my preferred pellet for this HW and performing extremely well out to 100yds @825fps. Had similar results with other H&N pellets which led me to believe the HW prefers the softer JSB made pellets over the "harder" H&Ns. Maybe because of the tight choke, can't say? In my testing i found lighter pellets to perform the best in the 410mm barrel and thats what i personally stick with. Aside from the extra 2-3fpe retained energy at 50yds and over i found little ballistic advantage shooting heavier pellets. The extra shots is a bonus too. Keep testing and let us know your findings!

Thanks Jay.

That is helpful. A good friend (ELH) just sent me his similar thoughts as well. Not going to bother testing the 21g.

I am going to focus on the next test to dial back the HST to 825 FPS ( like you did) with the 15.89 pellet and try it out. I found that the 18.1 JSB does like 820-825 FPS tune, so I have a solid tune for that scenario.

Reactions: oOmpH
Thanks Jay.

That is helpful. A good friend (ELH) just sent me his similar thoughts as well. Not going to bother testing the 21g.

I am going to focus on the next test to dial back the HST to 825 FPS ( like you did) with the 15.89 pellet and try it out. I found that the 18.1 JSB does like 820-825 FPS tune, so I have a solid tune for that scenario.
Sounds like a smart plan! You might even get an extra mag out of it :)

Reactions: tommyb
Sounds like a smart plan! You might even get an extra mag out of it :)

Went to range this past Thursday.

I dialed down my HST and got the 15.89 to approximately 820 FPS. Shot some groups at 30y and accuracy was excellent. Didn’t count shots but my educated guess is that I got close to three 14 shot mags from 200 BAR to about 110 BAR, where my regulator is set.

That sounds dialed in perfectly. 👍 I still haven't felt like doing the test shooting of the four different pellets that I bought to try. I am butt dragging. I'll get to it eventually.

Yeah, thanks Phil

I am curious to see how the JTS and H&N 18g pellets perform in your gun. I think they will do well.

For whatever reason, the JTS .22 caliber 25.39’s chrono’d about 20 FPS faster than the old MRDs in my RAW, but they did shoot very well 50y. I have another post that talks about that scenario.

I got the test pellets shot this afternoon. I haven't measured up yet but the accuracy of the H&N 18s was obviously poor. The 18 gr and 21.53 JTS did very well with surprisingly close to the same point of impact. The winner for accuracy was the JSB Monster 2 and another big surprise, they delivered 42 ft lbs of muzzle energy. I wasn't really expecting that.

Reactions: tommyb and oOmpH
20230918_225013.jpg

It may be that the head size of some of the H&N 18s is a bit smaller, similarly to how the H&N Baracuda Hunter was for this rifle. I would have to readjust the scope to use the heavier Monsters as the POI is a lot different from the other pellets. The BC information that I'm finding on the MRD is .039. I need to compare ballistic info with 18 gr Heavy.

They did average of 867 feet per second. I was expecting about 40 fps less. That last group of Monsters had one shot that opened it up to 3/4" could very well have been my fault or a wind gust.
The JTS 18 did average of 987 fps
The JTS 21.53 did average of 938 fps
The H&N 18 did average of 993 fps
The two groups JSB 18 that I shot for comparisons sake averaged 984 fps.

I need to catch a wind free afternoon and shoot a few more groups. I haven't shot the MRDs from the Evanix rifle yet.

They did average of 867 feet per second. I was expecting about 40 fps less. That last group of Monsters had one shot that opened it up to 3/4" could very well have been my fault or a wind gust.
The JTS 18 did average of 987 fps
The JTS 21.53 did average of 938 fps
The H&N 18 did average of 993 fps
The two groups JSB 18 that I shot for comparisons sake averaged 984 fps.

I need to catch a wind free afternoon and shoot a few more groups. I haven't shot the MRDs from the Evanix rifle yet.
Nice, would keep on the monsters if they fly true and you want that level of power. The other pellets are going a bit too hot for my liking :)

I did a little more shooting; some groups at 30 and 50 yards with the HW100. Also tried the Monsters
from the Evanix, they were a loose fit in the cylinders, speeds ranged from 780 to 850 fps and accuracy was terrible. All of the JTS and JSB pellets shot well from the Weihrauch. The 18 grain JSB still holds a little margin of better accuracy at 50 yards over the others.

20230922_021038.jpg

20230922_020944.jpg

20230922_021018.jpg

You have three different but accurate pellet choices from 30-50 yards, given all of your testing. Every one is MOS ( Minute of squirrel) with the right shot placement. 😉

I think I’m going to stay at 825 FPS with the JSB 15.89 for now for my lower power Carbine. The accuracy is solid, and I do get almost 3 mags on a 200 BAR fill. My 2nd choice is using the JSB 18.1g at the same velocity or up to 845 FPS maximum, by dialing up the HST for that scenario.

At 30 yards there is a whole lot of forgiveness with the HW100, with several pellet choices and brands.