• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HW/Weihrauch Weihrauch HW100S Shot Count

...being Dutch and knowing German craftmanship, I am well aware of the qualities of the Weihrauch 100 airgun, still, I do NOT have one...the simple reason being the poor shot count... the Brits made a bottle conversion for it...were Weihrauch to adopt that, my next airgun would be that one...simple!!!

Thats like putting a roof rack on a Porsche 911 to get more storage.

Well, the reg on the HWIOO is easier to adjust than any other internal reg I have owned. With most of them, you have to disassemble the rifle and remove the reg, l adjust it as a separate component, then reassemble. With the Weihrauch, you just separate the action modules and turn a screw, so you're much less likely to introduce a leak in the process. I think there is a distinction between the tradional tuning process, which should be a very infrequent event, compared to constant tinkering. The latter group can benefit from the FX adjustamatics, the traditionalists find it a distraction. Just different markets.

Reactions: Macros
Well said elh0102, I completely agree. Also, with a very simple mod, hammer spring adjustment becomes super easy. I simply drilled a 1/4" hole thru the rear cover and use a Dremel to notch the stock. I've got a plastic plug from Lowes that snaps right into the hole should you want to cover the hole but I seldom use it. Picture doesn't show up very well, you have to look closely.
PXL_20230801_201654778.jpg

Well, the reg on the HWIOO is easier to adjust than any other internal reg I have owned. With most of them, you have to disassemble the rifle and remove the reg, l adjust it as a separate component, then reassemble. With the Weihrauch, you just separate the action modules and turn a screw, so you're much less likely to introduce a leak in the process. I think there is a distinction between the tradional tuning process, which should be a very infrequent event, compared to constant tinkering. The latter group can benefit from the FX adjustamatics, the traditionalists find it a distraction. Just different markets.
I agree, peers for the HW100 are like the Daystate Huntsman and Air Arms S510. The FX Dreamline Classic notches in there too but it also mixes in the FX modularity and external adjustability for those who would like that. Weihrauch had regulation and a sidelever action before most makers. The magazines design is simple and works perfectly without protruding from the top of the action making scope mounting too high for the stock comb like many rifles.

The guns are very easy to take apart into part groups. Two screws to remove the stock, two screws to remove the trigger assembly and two screws to separate the two halves of the action. Pressurization is contained in the front block and not lost when the rear portion of the action is separated. It isn't necessary to remove the trigger assembly when separating the action halves if you have the correct length of angle hex wrench to turn the action block screws without hitting the trigger guard. I had a slow leak at the place where HW100 commonly does, the breechblock to block o-ring. I replaced the seal with the recommended 12x1mm instead of the OEM 12x1.2 crush fit with little fanfare, only took a few minutes. NOTE opening the front block like that does require letting the pressure out; with the cylinder off loosening the breech block screws discharges any remaining air so that's not a problem.

The five shot group at 100 yards was shot just before dark with no wind. The 12 shot 1-9/16" group at 100 was supposed to be 10 but I miscounted. I adjusted right and got the windage perfect but it was too dark to see the correct Mildot got the holdover so I was happy. The H&N Barracuda Match are as accurate as the JSBs but cost a bit more. I tested the H&N Barracuda Hunter and they were terrible.
Edit to add, blowing that picture up big looks like 14 shots at 100 yards. I must have shot an entire magazine.

Last edited:
Six very accurate five shot groups at fifty yards with 38 ft lbs of muzzle energy is extremely satisfying to me, I couldn't ask for more. If I could estimate 100 yards correctly I could kill squirrels at that range but I think that would take more skill than I have.

More skill than most have, especially with an HW100 taking squirrels at 100 yards. Candidly, I wouldn’t even consider a shot at 100y. My HW100 .22 Carbine shines at 15-40 yards, for backyard squirrel pesting and paper target shooting. I realize there are excellent long range marksman that will do this at 100, not me!

Bottom line, your 43 yard groups are very accurate at your current velocity. And, you can always slow it down if you get curious.

Six very accurate five shot groups at fifty yards with 38 ft lbs of muzzle energy is extremely satisfying to me, I couldn't ask for more. If I could estimate 100 yards correctly I could kill squirrels at that range but I think that would take more skill than I have.
I think that you would find, on average, your 100 yard groups would be marginal in terms of placing pellets consistently in a squirrel vitals zone.

Reactions: tommyb
The range would have to be known exactly anyway as a few feet off estimating short or long would be a miss. Not likely to get a solid rifle rest in the woods nor all that likely to spot squirrels at that sort of distance either in the thick here in Alabama plus recovery is difficulty too often on kills at ranges like that. The vast majority of shots are less than fifty yards for me. It was interesting to see what the HW would do at a hundred anyway. The rifle is accurate, powerful, quiet and handles great. I was a little apprehensive of the Hawke scope having never owned one before plus being used to adjustable objectives but I like it after using it for nearly a year.

I'm fortunate to live out in the county and have plenty of space to shoot. Having your own 100 yard shooting range right out the back door is great! If I wanted to I could shoot down my driveway which parallels the field a good ways and shoot 250 yards. I used to shoot some centerfire rifles but haven't in many years. Too costly plus I found deer hunting boring. Airguns, rimfires and small game are much more enjoyable to me.

Three magazines would be more than enough for me also with the HW100. I have the 410mm barrel on my Carbine.

I get about 32-36 shots now with the 18.1 flying at 812-825 FPS. I think the reg is about 115 BAR, since the last tune. Best guess since I don’t have a reg tester.

My next test is trying the H&N 21g, but I surely will have to increase the velocity. I am curious because several have liked the accuracy.

I just got some H&N and JTS 18 grainers to try along with some JSB Redesign Monsters. Curious to see how they'll perform.

Went to outdoor range today and set up at 30 yards. I brought the HW100 and my tools to adjust HST - again, I know. :( The HW100 is a 30 yard challenge gun for me mostly, with some occasional 50 yard groups/targets. Also, squirrels in the back yard too, but too loud so not that often.

Wind was light at about 2-3 mph and still at times. I wanted to get as close to 820 FPS as possible with the 18.1, as some have suggested that this was their ideal tune and sweet spot with the 18.1 and the 410MM barrel. This has been a looooooong journey adjusting HST about 20 times over the last few months, so I need to stop or get help. I don't know why, but I like doing this. I feel like I am chasing a ghost.

Here is my last shot string from today. I may have had a bad pellet, so I am throwing out the 835 FPS. Also, here are five 5-shot groups at 30 yards at approximately 817-825 FPS.

As an aside, I also ran out the regulator from a 200 BAR start, from approximately 823 FPS to a low of 749 FPS. When I looked at the needle, it was about 100 -110 BAR at the drop off. I believe I had about 36 shots before I saw a steady decline 784, 779, 765, 763, 749. I saved this shot string, but it is not in the pics. This is just FYI....

Question - I can order the H&N 21g, but I'm not sure if I can beat the accuracy at 30 yards with this tune and the 18.1 at 820 FPS.

IMG_9697.PNG

IMG_9698.PNG

IMG_9691.jpg

IMG_9692.jpg

IMG_9693.jpg

IMG_9694.jpg

IMG_9695.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9699.PNG
    IMG_9699.PNG
    2 MB · Views: 7
Reactions: oOmpH and EPG
Excellent accuracy. The 18 grain JSB is a great pellet, hard to beat.
Thanks.

Any thoughts on me trying the H&N 21g, that everyone seems to like? I know that this pellet is a bit heavy for the 36 Joule Carbine at 26- 28 FPE ( my gun ), but I am wondering if I dial up the HST and try and get the 21G to around 820-840 FPS, is that worth a try or not. Jay - your thoughts and anyone else's?
I'm really wondering if anyone has tried the H&N 21 g in the 410mm barrel with the lower power gun?

Thanks, Tom

Reactions: oOmpH