• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HW/Weihrauch Weihrauch HW100S Shot Count

After seeing some recent interest in shot counts for the newer 50 Joule rated versions of the HW100 I decided to do a chrony run on a fill with mine. I also wanted to fulfill a little curiosity regarding overfilling the rifle somewhat versus the affect it would have on the regulator. One of my scuba tanks, a 232 Bar steel version, still had enough pressure to do a 10% overfill so this what I tested with. Weihrauch specifies 200 Bar or 2900 psi and this fill was 220 Bar or 3190 psi according to the gauges. After 5 shots the gun's gauge was on the line dividing green from red, the marking for 200 Bar. Shooting was done with the 18 grain JSB pellets. I shot the Evanix Renegade rifle over the chrono, a Shooting Chrony F1, first to make sure that it was operating properly. I also overfilled it the same and the non-regulated rifle did not like that. Shooting the 28-1/2 grain Seneca Domes the initial velocity was 700 fps and didn't climb tp 800 fps until the gauge indicated 200 Bar. The velocities with the HW100S are as follows: 981, 970, 971, 965, 970, 975, 969, 972, 970, 974, 976, 983, 984, 984, 985, 975, 975, 976, 975, 975, 978, 977, 975, 976, 977, 975, 976, 976, 979, 978, 980, 980, 981, 980, (gauge at yellow line), 975, 968, 963, 953, 943.

From 3190 psi/220 Bar to the yellow line 9n the gauge brought 34 shots. Should make 28 shots from 2900 psi/200 Bar. I have not touched the factory setting of the regulation or hammer spring. Power with the 18 grain JSBs is 38 ft lbs or 51.5 Joules. The 10% overfill had no affect on the regulation. The Weihrauch gauge shows yellow at 120 Bar. There were actually 3 more shots past the beginning of the yellow zone at 975, 968 and 963 then the next two shots plummeted to 953 and 943. I stopped shooting there as it was about to come a thunderstorm, I picked up everything and barely finished getting all inside the house before it got rough out. The velocities were dropping sharply anyways.

I have the rifle zeroed at 43 yards and the ballistic calculations show 2 Mils holdover at 75 yards and 4 at 100 and actual shooting confirmed that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an HW110, rather than an HW100, but I believe that they share the same barrels (410mm and 600mm) and air cylinders.

That is some pretty big power that your rifle has - I’m impressed that Weihrauch was able to bump power up to that level (38 ft/lbs) and still get 28 shots (from 200 bar fill) from the tiny air cylinder.

I know a UK guy from an HW110 forum on Facebook that has tuned HW110s up to that power level - I believe that he did have to enlarge the transfer port size to do so. Of course most of the UK discussion revolves around sub 12 ft/lb tuning.

When I got my HW110 it was the 28 ft/lb version (600mm barrel and reg set at 150 bar). It got about 40 to 42 shots on the regulator. I don’t recall if I tried overfilling - perhaps i was doing about a 5% overfill when I got 42 shots vs. 40…

I have detuned my HW110 to 16.5 ft/lbs and I get over 90 shots on the regulator. It is very nice to shoot at this modest power level.

Does your 38 ft/lb HW100 have the 600mm barrel? (I’d assume that it does).

Does your Wika gauge have the same square marks at 50, 100 and 150 bar (these seem to correspond to factory regulator set points) as my Wika gauge in the picture attached?

IMG_2589.jpeg

I have an HW100 carbine in .177. I think that both the S and K rifles at AOA come with the same cylinder. If so, then I guess shot counts should be generally equal. After tinkering with tuning, it is now at 14 fpe tune, which may be a good compromise between the FAC and sub-12 fpe versions. IMO, these rifles are much better suited to the lower power levels, which I assume was the original design. At full 18+ fpe it was giving 35-40 shots on reg, at 12 fpe 80+. I haven't done a shot count at 14 fpe, but I think it's 60 or so. I may set it back to 12 fpe, as I can't really tell much difference in accuracy or squirrel effectiveness at my back yard distances of 35 yards or less. It's very quiet at both lower settings, but almost silent at 12 fpe. I guess the FAC level rifles are a marketing necessity, given the US demand for power, but most of the US buyers are missing out on the real appeal of the rifle at lower power.

IMG_20230731_093310393~2.jpg
I really like the high power level, it gives me some excellent reach on squirrels, rivaling my .22 cartridge rifle while being much safer regarding projectiles flying over long distances endangering people; even high angled shots will not reach my neighbors. 28 shots or a few over is more than adequate; when hunting with my .22 LR I never used that many rounds so it's plenty enough for a hunt with the air rifle. The muzzle discharge is just a tiny "spikt" and the accuracy is even better than with my Kimber .22 with all but the most expensive match ammo. If I needed to I could lower the power level but the factory 50 Joule setup is perfect for my usage.

Here's a picture of the gsuge, I tried to sharpen it as much as possible so the details would show but it is a phone cam pic.

Reactions: Farmplinker2
I have an HW100 carbine in .177. I think that both the S and K rifles at AOA come with the same cylinder. If so, then I guess shot counts should be generally equal. After tinkering with tuning, it is now at 14 fpe tune, which may be a good compromise between the FAC and sub-12 fpe versions. IMO, these rifles are much better suited to the lower power levels, which I assume was the original design. At full 18+ fpe it was giving 35-40 shots on reg, at 12 fpe 80+. I haven't done a shot count at 14 fpe, but I think it's 60 or so. I may set it back to 12 fpe, as I can't really tell much difference in accuracy or squirrel effectiveness at my back yard distances of 35 yards or less. It's very quiet at both lower settings, but almost silent at 12 fpe. I guess the FAC level rifles are a marketing necessity, given the US demand for power, but most of the US buyers are missing out on the real appeal of the rifle at lower power.

Hi elh0102,

Yes, that is my understanding as well - there is no true “carbine” for the US market with the HW110 and HW100 rifles. Because of the higher power levels for the US rifles, they all use the full length (standard) air cylinder.

So, a US “carbine” HW100 from AoA is simply the standard HW100 with the 410mm barrel. The ”S” standard HW100 from AoA is simply the same standard HW100 with the 600mm barrel.

They do make the true carbine “K” models for the European sub 12 ft/lb market, but the air cylinder on these is too small to support the US market with any type of reasonable shot count.

I agree with you on using lower power levels with these HW100 and HW110 rifles.

On my .22 HW110, I swapped my 600mm barrel for the 410mm. I swapped out the “FAC” hammer spring shuttle for the UK spec shuttle. I dropped the regulator pressure from 150bar to 90bar. My shot count is amazing now - and it falls off the reg so gradually that I can get 100+ shots in .22 shooting 14.3g at 720-725fps. Its very accurate at 30 and 35 yards.

-Ed

Reactions: bf1956 and thumper
Hi elh0102,

Yes, that is my understanding as well - there is no true “carbine” for the US market with the HW110 and HW100 rifles. Because of the higher power levels for the US rifles, they all use the full length (standard) air cylinder.

So, a US “carbine” HW100 from AoA is simply the standard HW100 with the 410mm barrel. The ”S” standard HW100 from AoA is simply the same standard HW100 with the 600mm barrel.

They do make the true carbine “K” models for the European sub 12 ft/lb market, but the air cylinder on these is too small to support the US market with any type of reasonable shot count.

I agree with you on using lower power levels with these HW100 and HW110 rifles.

On my .22 HW110, I swapped my 600mm barrel for the 410mm. I swapped out the “FAC” hammer spring shuttle for the UK spec shuttle. I dropped the regulator pressure from 150bar to 90bar. My shot count is amazing now - and it falls off the reg so gradually that I can get 100+ shots in .22 shooting 14.3g at 720-725fps. Its very accurate at 30 and 35 yards.

-Ed
I've got one of my HW44's regulators turned down to to around 60 bar, hammer spring is set as low as it will go. FPE is about 8.5 with 10.3 JSB/FX. I've wondered if replacing the hammer spring shuttle would help tighten up my ES. The ES runs around 25-30 fps over about 120 shots (with a carbine aluminum tube). I'm supposing the hammer strike may be a little inconsistent with the FAC shuttle. Opinions?

I've got one of my HW44's regulators turned down to to around 60 bar, hammer spring is set as low as it will go. FPE is about 8.5 with 10.3 JSB/FX. I've wondered if replacing the hammer spring shuttle would help tighten up my ES. The ES runs around 25-30 fps over about 120 shots (with a carbine aluminum tube). I'm supposing the hammer strike may be a little inconsistent with the FAC shuttle. Opinions?

Hi h2okenny,

Yes, in my opinion the hammer spring shuttles work better with some preload on them. I’m guessing that yours dialed all the way to minimum may cause ES to widen. You might want to try the UK spec shuttle, it has lots of headroom.

Airgunspares in the UK sells both the FAC (US spec) and UK spec shuttles. Their shipping is reasonable. They even sell the 410mm barrels at a reasonable cost.

UK spec shuttle: https://www.airgunspares.com/72924-hw110-hammer-assembly.html

US (“FAC”) spec shuttle: https://www.airgunspares.com/72924fac-hw110-hammer-assembly-fac.html

Try searching on just HW110 on their site and you will be amazed at all the parts they carry.

-Ed

Reactions: h2okenny
Didn't know it would post giant sized! Looks like there are just standard marks on all of them at 50, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300. Ever 50 Bar.
Here is a picture of the UK gauge, note that the ”green“ area extends down to 80 bar.

I think the 50, 100 and 150 marks have significance.

I know that the FAC rifles have their regulators set at 150 bar. A UK friend told me the UK spec rifles are set at 100 bar. The 50 bar may be for the HW44 pistols in the UK - I believe that air pistol power is limited to about 7 ft/lbs there (!).

-Ed

06BA5E76-A358-4C9C-AB02-FBA7B62584DE.jpeg

Apparently, replacing the shuttle is not critical. I replaced no parts in my FAC rifle, just adjusted the reg pressure and HST. The ES is very low, no issues with consistency down to the 12 fpe level.

Reactions: h2okenny
After seeing some recent interest in shot counts for the newer 50 Joule rated versions of the HW100 I decided to do a chrony run on a fill with mine. I also wanted to fulfill a little curiosity regarding overfilling the rifle somewhat versus the affect it would have on the regulator. One of my scuba tanks, a 232 Bar steel version, still had enough pressure to do a 10% overfill so this what I tested with. Weihrauch specifies 200 Bar or 2900 psi and this fill was 220 Bar or 3190 psi according to the gauges. After 5 shots the gun's gauge was on the line dividing green from red, the marking for 200 Bar. Shooting was done with the 18 grain JSB pellets. I shot the Evanix Renegade rifle over the chrono, a Shooting Chrony F1, first to make sure that it was operating properly. I also overfilled it the same and the non-regulated rifle did not like that. Shooting the 28-1/2 grain Seneca Domes the initial velocity was 700 fps and didn't climb tp 800 fps until the gauge indicated 200 Bar. The velocities with the HW100S are as follows: 981, 970, 971, 965, 970, 975, 969, 972, 970, 974, 976, 983, 984, 984, 985, 975, 975, 976, 975, 975, 978, 977, 975, 976, 977, 975, 976, 976, 979, 978, 980, 980, 981, 980, (gauge at yellow line), 975, 968, 963, 953, 943.

From 3190 psi/220 Bar to the yellow line 9n the gauge brought 34 shots. Should make 28 shots from 2900 psi/200 Bar. I have not touched the factory setting of the regulation or hammer spring. Power with the 18 grain JSBs is 38 ft lbs or 51.5 Joules. The 10% overfill had no affect on the regulation. The Weihrauch gauge shows yellow at 120 Bar. There were actually 3 more shots past the beginning of the yellow zone at 975, 968 and 963 then the next two shots plummeted to 953 and 943. I stopped shooting there as it was about to come a thunderstorm, I picked up everything and barely finished getting all inside the house before it got rough out. The velocities were dropping sharply anyways.

I have the rifle zeroed at 43 yards and the ballistic calculations show 2 Mils holdover at 75 yards and 4 at 100 and actual shooting confirmed that.

Hey Phil

You must have a different HW100 .22 than my HW 100 .22 Carbine. The max velocity that we tested with a Chrono was about 885-890 FPS with the HST turned up to the max. Dropping it down to 95-97% for a balanced tune put it at about 850 - 860 FPS with the 18.1 JSB. I have since lowered my velocity to about 825 FPS at approximately 115 BAR, when I notice the larger velocity drop. It shoots very accurately at 25-35 yards at this velocity and with the reg at 115 BAR approximately. Don’t have a reg tester to be precise.

Do you have some newer more powerful version that just came out? I guess I am surprised you are getting 975 FPS with the JSB 18.1g, as I thought their .22 calibers were 28-30 FPE. I am asking because I did not think Weihrauch designed the .22 calibers to shoot that fast. The tech at Air Venturi and I had a conversation about this when he was fixing / tuning my gun recently. Yours is an anomaly.

In any case, I kind of agree with both Ed’s in this thread, in that I believe slower is better and just as accurate, with better shot count for the .22 calibers. But, you seem to like it shooting hot, so your factory setup works for you.

Would appreciate any insight.

Thanks,
Tom

Apparently I am one of them ol' power lovin' Muricans. 🤪 This velocity works wonderfully for squirrel hunting, the trajectory is so nice and flat. I can zero at 43 yards, the pellet is only about 3/8" up at it's highest point, then it's simple to use a Mildot reticle for holdover for longer distances. The regulator worked fine with a 220 Bar pressure, giving greater than 28 shots if desired, although two full rotary mags seems like a good refill point. With our bag limit being 8 squirrels I'd have to be shooting mighty poorly to run out of air on a hunt before limiting out.

The hammer spring pressure and regulator aren't as easily adjustable as say an FX Dreamline but the adjustments are there with a bit of work for those for wish for lesser power and greater shot count. The 100 is a very versatile rifle. It's a little on the heavy side but many PCPs are.

Reactions: Farmplinker2
Thanks for clarifying Phil, and best of luck with your rifle.

I agree with Ed here too, based on the early origins of Weihrauch targeting 12 FPE European .177 market. I know of several AGN folks now who are enjoying lower power with their HW100/110 Guns.

I think Weihrauch knows the Americans are suckers for more power, but this newer more powerful version surprised me.

...being Dutch and knowing German craftmanship, I am well aware of the qualities of the Weihrauch 100 airgun, still, I do NOT have one...the simple reason being the poor shot count... the Brits made a bottle conversion for it...were Weihrauch to adopt that, my next airgun would be that one...simple!!!
Just curious, what is your primary use, and how many shots do you need? I think a bottle would ruin this rifle.

Reactions: bjagur
Apparently I am one of them ol' power lovin' Muricans. 🤪 This velocity works wonderfully for squirrel hunting, the trajectory is so nice and flat. I can zero at 43 yards, the pellet is only about 3/8" up at it's highest point, then it's simple to use a Mildot reticle for holdover for longer distances. The regulator worked fine with a 220 Bar pressure, giving greater than 28 shots if desired, although two full rotary mags seems like a good refill point. With our bag limit being 8 squirrels I'd have to be shooting mighty poorly to run out of air on a hunt before limiting out.

The hammer spring pressure and regulator aren't as easily adjustable as say an FX Dreamline but the adjustments are there with a bit of work for those for wish for lesser power and greater shot count. The 100 is a very versatile rifle. It's a little on the heavy side but many PCPs are.

I do agree, that for me, it’s a pia to adjust HST and getting to the regulator is a huge pain. Too much work!
If I want to turn up/ down the HST on my RAW, I can do it in 5 seconds without removing the stock. Hats off to all the Brands who have externally adjustable regulators.

Great German engineering, but a pain to tune!