• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Weihrauch HW100 .177cal

21 Apr 2022

I have looked at the Weihrauch HW100 off and on for quite a few years because I have 3 Weihrauch springers and like their quality. I have mostly bought PCPs with easier adjustability because I like to tinker. Also, I’m more of a light bullpup kind of a person as I get older. My last purchase was a FX Wildcat mk3 BT in .22 at the beginning of April. About a week ago I was up on the AOA website comparing pellet prices and noticed they were running a special on the Weihrauch HW100 carbine. I couldn’t resist so I ordered one. My excuse is my birthday is in May and I could justify it as a birthday present.

It arrived today. Unboxed my new HW100 .177 carbine, mounted a USO TS 3-12x scope I had laying around, and shot a 14 round string (AA 10.3gr pellets) after I sited in the scope at 30yds. I was surprised by the consistency and accuracy of this rifle and pellet combination out of the box. 14 shot group at 0.43” after scope sight in.

Average – 934
High – 937
Low – 932 
Spread – 5
STD Dev – 1.7
Altitude – 7023 ft
Temperature – degrees 75* F
Barometric pressure – 29.73 InHg

17 May 2022

It has been a little over 3 weeks and I have shot over 300 pellets through the HW100. It has been very windy since I received my HW100 so I have been shooting at various targets in my yard at various distances up to 90 yds (I live on 5 acres) to break in the HW100 rather than trying various pellets and slugs on paper to see what it likes.

I love this rifle with the exception of its weight. I’m 75 years old and don’t have the strength I once had. So, I have to shoot this rifle from the bench or with sticks. With that said I like the smooth shot cycle, like the ergonomics, and love the trigger. I have a Daystate Pulsar and a Veteran. The HW100 trigger is as good as either of those rifles in my opinion.

I have purchased and installed a Sightron S Tac 4-20x50 scope, a Weihrauch single shot magazine, an Accu-Tac picatinny rail adapter for a forearm sling stud and a forearm sling stud. The single shot magazine is a work of art! I’m really blown away with the engineering of this single shot magazine.

Today we had a mild breeze with an occasional light burst of wind. So, I tried JSB Heavy 10.34gr and JSB Monster 13.43gr Pellets. My FX radar was acting flaky so I broke out the LabRadar.

JSB - 10.3gr

Shots -10

Average -937.9

High - 941.7

Low - 935.3

ES - 6.33

SD - 1.93

JSB 13.4

Shots - 10

Average - 801

High - 806.4

Low - 797.4

ES - 8.94

SD - 3.38

May 17 Test.1652895784.JPG

The JSB Heavy group was 0.47” and the JSB Monster was 0.44” at 30 yards.

I have JSB KnockOut slugs 10.1gr, NSA .178 slugs 12.5gr, NSA .178 slugs 15gr, H&N Barracuda 10.65gr pellets and AA 10.3gr pellets on hand from another project besides the pellets I tested today. Also have some FX 10.3 and FX 13.4gr pellets on order. More testing to come!

My initial impression is this rifle likes 10gr pellets with out of the box tuning. If this holds true with additional testing I will settle on the best 10gr pellet and will tune for best accuracy (may not have to tune at all).

HW100 1.1652896151.JPG

Reactions: Robertcasey
I also have a HW100 carbine in .177, and I love it. On a whim, I decided to tune it down to the 12 fpe level, which is the European standard, and I assume the original design parameter. I think I ended up around 11.5 fpe, and it is a true joy as a yard rifle. It's practically silent, and the shot count is drastically increased. I think around 80 regulated shots. And it's still very adequate as a squirrel rifle. Obviously, if you need 20 fpe, then you don't want 12. But, if you ever want to experiment, you might be as surprised and pleased as I was at the outcome. And yes, all that steel is heavy, but it's hard to beat the design and build quality. 

elh0102 - I have been fascinated with Hunter FT for about 8 years. Really no place near me to compete so all I do is read about it. Part of the reason I bought the HW100 was to setup a rifle that would be good for HFT so I could get a better understanding of what would work for this type of competition. I can setup a range of 10 to 55 yards off of my deck for practice. I agree the HW100 probably was designed as a 12fpe rifle and will be best at that power but I'm thinking I will tune to about 19fpe.

At my age and physical condition I don't hunt or travel to properties where I can do long distance shooting (200 plus yards). So, I limit myself to fun shooting in my yard. Having 5 acres at least allows for some variety. I can go out to about 95 yards from my deck and can setup for about 120 yards at the back of my property. The area of Colorado I live in will allow hunting of deer with a tag on my property so shooting PCPs are no issue.

I agree. I have the HW100 carbine in .22 . My ONLY complaint on the rifle is the weight. I have a 1000 yard reach powder burner with scope that weighs less...

I'm still debating selling the HW100 for something as good or better, but only lighter that I could carry around better... The Edgun Leishiy II and FX compact are singing to me... Who knows.

For a lighter, walking rifle, you might consider Daystate Revere. It's not only lighter, but has the feel and balance of a classic sporter.

image.1652986555.jpg

FastFred - I’m in the process of doing just what you want to do. 

The only part that is different between the US and European versions in the hammer spring shuttle assembly. This is a picture of both European and US (FAC) versions- they arrived today from Airgun Spares - a store in the UK.

You will also have to adjust your regulator pressure (downwards) when you install the European hammer spring shuttle. It’s easy to adjust, but you will need a regulator pressure test gauge. I bought mine from HWTuning - store in the UK that specializes in HW100 and HW110 tuning. It’s about $30.

Finally, before you adjust your hammer spring pre-load using a 4mm Allen key (like a number of Internet forums instruct you to do) you MUST loosen a very small (it’s either a T-5 or T-6) lockdown screw that is INSIDE the 4mm hole. Then you retighten the lockdown screw after you make the adjustment to hammer spring pre-load with your 4mm Allen key. If you don’t loosen the lockdown screw and you force adjustment with the 4mm allen key, you will break the adjuster. Believe me, I know - that is why I bought both versions, because I broke my original US adjuster.

Weihrauch actually emailed me the info regarding the little Torx lockdown screw. It took them a while, but they actually responded in English, lol.

I have confirmed the the Torx lockdown screw is in both the US (FAC) and European versions of the hammer spring shuttle.

Hope this info helps.

Ed

Piloto - I have a Leshiy 2 and a Daystate Huntsman Regal. Both good carbines but I find the Daystate a little heavy for me now days. I bought it because it was relatively light for me at the time and I enjoyed it. 

I'm not sure I like a Semi-auto action, but the Leshiy 2 is a lot of fun. Only negative (other than price) is the trigger and I don't find it a real negative - you just need to get use to it. A lot different from the HW100! 

I bought a FX Wildcat mk3 BT Compact about 3 weeks before my "impulse buy" of the HW100. Unfortunately, I only have had time to do some initial testing. It balances well and I can manage its weight well. It is accurate and has a good trigger (not HW100 level but good).

If a single shot PCP is of interest, I suggest you look at the Leshiy Classic. It is the only PCP I can still walk my property with and not notice I'm carrying it.

I currently own 3 HW100's, they are my Favorite air guns, to me they are easy to work on and tune, the bullpup is a little lighter than the walnut stock versions, but they are all laser accurate, I print my own Magazines now, so I can have lots of spares when needed.

View attachment 211494View attachment 211499View attachment 211506View attachment 211515View attachment 211523
Kevin, would you share your file for printing those magazines, please? Thanks in advance. 👍

View attachment 211488
FastFred - I’m in the process of doing just what you want to do.

The only part that is different between the US and European versions in the hammer spring shuttle assembly. This is a picture of both European and US (FAC) versions- they arrived today from Airgun Spares - a store in the UK.

You will also have to adjust your regulator pressure (downwards) when you install the European hammer spring shuttle. It’s easy to adjust, but you will need a regulator pressure test gauge. I bought mine from HWTuning - store in the UK that specializes in HW100 and HW110 tuning. It’s about $30.

Finally, before you adjust your hammer spring pre-load using a 4mm Allen key (like a number of Internet forums instruct you to do) you MUST loosen a very small (it’s either a T-5 or T-6) lockdown screw that is INSIDE the 4mm hole. Then you retighten the lockdown screw after you make the adjustment to hammer spring pre-load with your 4mm Allen key. If you don’t loosen the lockdown screw and you force adjustment with the 4mm allen key, you will break the adjuster. Believe me, I know - that is why I bought both versions, because I broke my original US adjuster.

Weihrauch actually emailed me the info regarding the little Torx lockdown screw. It took them a while, but they actually responded in English, lol.

I have confirmed the the Torx lockdown screw is in both the US (FAC) and European versions of the hammer spring shuttle.

Hope this info helps.

Ed
My lock down screw is missing? Does it have to be there? Seems to stay in adjustment