Weihrauch HW 30 ball detent issue

That’s funny. I’ve seen peeps complain about the HW safety before and never understood it. Wasn’t worth commenting on. I have other guns with automatic safeties too, and don’t find the ergonomics any better or worse than HW. The fact I can’t reset or uncock easily doesn’t really matter either. If I have to waste a nickel firing a shot into the dirt, so be it.
Only the underlever Weihrauchs can't be reset or uncocked.

To reset the safety just recock the gun. The safety kicks out again.

To uncock the gun. Bring the barrel fully back until you feel it engage the safety, while hanging on to the barrel firmly, disengage the safety, pull the trigger and slowly control the closing of the barrel. When you pull the trigger you'll feel the spring pressure pushing the barrel closed. If you don't hang onto the barrel it will slam shut and damage the gun. It sounds daunting but it's really not. It's the same pressure you felt cocking the gun initially. Just backwards.

I re-engage the safety and uncock the guns all the time. I do it every time I miss a hunting opportunity, take a phone call, get called to dinner etc, etc. I just can't uncock my 97. It can be reset by recocking though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hateful McNasty
Ron, that’s why I said, “Easily”. On my Dianas and Hatsan, I just pull the safety back out. Little simpler process ;). But, unless I’m hunting I’m just generally going to waste that $0.05 no matter which gun it is.
I guess our definition of easily differs 😄. This is easy enough for me, but your Dianas and Hatsan are definitely easier.

FWIW I only posted what I did because some people including a couple well known reviewers have asserted that the Weihrachs safety can't be reset or uncocked at all.

Be well :)

I guess our definition of easily differs 😄. This is easy enough for me, but your Dianas and Hatsan are definitely easier.

FWIW I only posted what I did because some people including a couple well known reviewers have asserted that the Weihrachs safety can't be reset or uncocked at all.

Be well :)
Nope. Dianas are easier but I don’t think the HW is hard. I think the issue is that our definition of “easy” differs from too many others. You know, the folks who needed bag light charcoal and cars that tell them when they’re out of their lane :D

Reactions: Mycapt65
HW30s needs lots of moly or equivalent around and behind the ball mechanism. I accidently washed the grease out of mine and things went crazy. To open it I would have to hit the barrel hard, and to close it I would have to slam it. It would make a little chip too when it closed (dry metal on metal). I called AOA and they laughed at me, told me to pack it with grease really good and make sure to get plenty behind the ball. After that it opens and closes with ease, a gentle pull is all it takes.

Reactions: numbertwo
I have the HW50, it's the wedge type breech lock...works great so far, I've probably put 5 or 600 pellets through it. I won't be afraid to put a drop or two of oil on the wedge, or a dab of grease when it gets dry.
Only put good Moly grease on the chisel detents. Oil won't protect it enough. There's a tremendous amount of friction there point to point. I've seen were the fixed chisel wears away and the gun wont lock up at all. The fixed chisel is brazed into the compression tube and isn't replaceable. If it wears out you have to buy a new compression tube $$$$ on the 50s.

You can oil the chisel bore. But that usually makes a mess and washes out the moly. It's not a bad idea to remove the chise, polish the bore and spring ends and reassemble the whole thing with moly. I usually do it on every tune and the new guns haven't been great. The bores are roughly machined and I usually find swarf and rust.

20220901_091009.jpg

20220901_090948.jpg

Got the hw30 back from AOA. Works perfectly. Their fix was to oil the ball detent to work it loose. I had done that prior to shipping it back, but I guess I didn't wait long enough for the clp I used to seep in. Now very, very smooth open and lock. No more compromise of the breech which had been leaking air when firing. Very happy. Been using Crosman vantage and remington impact elite NP's while it was gone. Those definitely have more power and a much harder cocking stroke and violent firing cycle, but the hw30 is such a fun plinking gun you can shoot all day. HW50 is probably my next step up in power, unless someone suggests a nicer model.

The 50 is a great all around gun. It's a little bigger and stronger than the HW30. Its a mid sized model people call the goldilocks of Weihrachs. Not too big, not to small. Its a great gun with a practical range out to about 50 yards.

The R9 or HW95 is a full sized rifle that's a bit more powerful than the HW50 yet isn't any harder to cock. If you're looking for a full sized gun you can shoot accurately at 50 yards or more the HW95 is an excellent choice. I have three of them. I also have three HW30s. I only have one HW50 but its the one I always grab if Im toting a rifle around the woods.
There's no bad choice

The 50 is a great all around gun. It's a little bigger and stronger than the HW30. Its a mid sized model people call the goldilocks of Weihrachs. Not too big, not to small. Its a great gun with a practical range out to about 50 yards.

The R9 or HW95 is a full sized rifle that's a bit more powerful than the HW50 yet isn't any harder to cock. If you're looking for a full sized gun you can shoot accurately at 50 yards or more the HW95 is an excellent choice. I have three of them. I also have three HW30s. I only have one HW50 but its the one I always grab if Im toting a rifle around the woods.
There's no bad choice
Yes, my only concern is LOP, length of pull. I'm 5'5" and I've modified the Crosman and Ruger stocks to fit me. Cut about 2" off the stocks and did some more work and refin on them. With a Weihrauch, I'm hesitant to modify a heirloom piece. But, will definitely do it if the shooting position is uncomfortable. 42" rifles and shorter are what I prefer shooting open sights and that's all I do. The 77k seems like the likely next purchase but I've got to get a hold on this mania. Got into traditional archery a ways back and have 12 bows on my wall!.

Yes, my only concern is LOP, length of pull. I'm 5'5" and I've modified the Crosman and Ruger stocks to fit me. Cut about 2" off the stocks and did some more work and refin on them. With a Weihrauch, I'm hesitant to modify a heirloom piece. But, will definitely do it if the shooting position is uncomfortable. 42" rifles and shorter are what I prefer shooting open sights and that's all I do. The 77k seems like the likely next purchase but I've got to get a hold on this mania. Got into traditional archery a ways back and have 12 bows on my wall!.
The HW30 has a 14" of pull and I believe the rest are between 14.25" and 14.4".

The biggest problem smaller people and people with smaller hands have with the Weihrauchs is usually the long reach to the trigger from the grip. Many people switch out the trigger blades with a Rowan set back trigger blade.

The HW30 has a 14" of pull and I believe the rest are between 14.25" and 14.4".

The biggest problem smaller people and people with smaller hands have with the Weihrauchs is usually the long reach to the trigger from the grip. Many people switch out the trigger blades with a Rowan set back trigger blade.
Long reach to trigger is what I was referring to. That's what's kept me away from other more powerful models.