Weihrauch HW 30 ball detent issue

Had to return the HW30s for a fix to AOA. Ball detent would no longer close the breech after 400 rounds?. I have an HW 50 on backorder from them and I'm now wondering if this is going to be an issue as well?. I still have time to change my order. Was going to get the HW95 luxus, but love the smaller dimensions and weight. I'll overcome those for a reliable rifle. Any suggestions welcomed.

Reactions: Frogy
The HW50s doesn't use the the problematic ball detent from the HW30s, it uses the much more reliable and robust chisel detent. I have been VERY happy with my HW50s.

P1030738a.jpeg
P1030738b.jpeg
P1030738.JPG

The ball detent isn't usually a problem on the 30s. Not saying yours didn't but there's a lot of misunderstanding about the system. They typically vertical string new because the pivot is too tight or the new breech seal hasn't conformed or flattened to size yet.
Spring loaded wedge lock ups and even the highly regarded HW35 manual release systems have just as many failures.

@cankiller: Could you be more specific about the problem with the ball detent? Include any pics w/a description of the issue if possible.

Thanks in advance from a new (AoA-acquired) HW30S owner :)

Great forum name BTW (y)
Can't do it because it's back at AOA for a fix. Problem was I could not close the breech. Not only not holding closed, but could not physically close the breech fully. Just guessing the ball detent came out too far. Will update once AOA gets back to me.

The ball and spring are staked into the breech block. They aren't removable. The only thing you can do with them is to oil them and exercise the ball to allow the oil behind it.

The ball locks the breech in place against a steel dowel between the forks. The ball pops over and holds pressure against the same steel dowel that locates the breech position. Either the ball wouldn't fully extend, compress and or the pin is damaged.

The ball might not fully extend or compress if it has machining chips, rust or dirt in the ball socket. If there's crud in the socket it may work its way to a bad position again. It may break up and never cause a problem again. Hopefully it's fixed for good.

FWIW the chisel detents suffer the same problems and more often. However the chisel detents are more serviceable. This is the first legitimate time I've heard of the ball not functioning correctly.

I wonder if its possible that a small chip of lead that came from a pellet may have somehow contributed to the ball detent mechanism becoming 'locked' or jammed in a way that prevented the ball from being depressed into it's recess position? Perhaps a piece of lead from a seated pellet that partially dislodged from the barrel breech just before breech closure, and then got slightly sheared by the breech? Or even a pellet with a loose piece of lead attached, from banging around in the can. Just considering possibilities based on my own usage... :)

Reactions: cankiller
Well a fight to remove or near nonremovable.. hmmm.. i just hlanced at the part thing and seen the ball and spring out with a number and just assumed. Then looked for any one who may of did the job and pretty depressing. That becomes a big turn off with the 30. Non serviceable wate and tare part in a critical juncture.. lol

hw30ball.jpg

Only gun I ever had with one was a rws that was quickly gifted away anyway.

Ya, that s a turn off now

Lol.. kinda like guys who complain how hard to use / push in the hw safety pin . A flick of the thumb , how hard is that ?
That’s funny. I’ve seen peeps complain about the HW safety before and never understood it. Wasn’t worth commenting on. I have other guns with automatic safeties too, and don’t find the ergonomics any better or worse than HW. The fact I can’t reset or uncock easily doesn’t really matter either. If I have to waste a nickel firing a shot into the dirt, so be it.