Weihrauch Front Sight Riser

I needed the Weihrauch front sight raised up about 3/8 of an inch. Could not find one anywhere. I decided to make one. When rummaging in my parts bin I came across this “Weaver” dovetail-to-picatinny mount. Plenty of meat on it to grind and leave a 8mm dovetail needed for the front sight. Grind and file down the picatinny rails (dotted/yellow line) leaving/matching the same 8mm dovetail that’s on the barrel.
9A785C18-D2E1-4432-8AA5-8F22077EDBC9.jpeg

Last edited:
To expand on the idea that BoG documented above, here is how I went about the process of raising my HW77 front sight so that the irons are usable with the new high comb ambidextrous stocks.

I started with one of these Feinwerkbau risers
fwb-sight-riser.jpg

Using the shorter front base, I sliced it in half lengthwise using a cut off wheel in a 4 1/2 inch grinder.
20231025_125153.jpg

I then cleaned up the cut on a bench mounted disc sander, and proceeded to file the cut edges to reduce the overall width to fit the dovetail width of the Weihrauch globe front sight.
20231025_125141.jpg

The cut edges were reduced to the point that the Weihrauch sight would fit with a firm press of the fingers. No hammer or beater block of wood necessary, if you take your time and check your fit often.
DO NOT get in a hurry, use good sharp files in good lighting, and CHECK YOUR PROGRESS often. You are trying to sneak up on a good firm press fit with your fingers.

End result
20231025_125807.jpg

I used an old Mendoza rear peep because of its beefy base and two screw securement so as to avoid the sight creeping back under recoil.
My HW77 is making close to 15 ft. lbs. With 10.3 JSB pellets, and the sight has held tight through a half of a tin so far.
20231025_134149.jpg

20231025_134127.jpg

The sight line is a little higher than I prefer, but the alternatives involved either reworking the factory stock, or buying a new stock.
Minimal outlay and some time spent fitting parts together avoided those alternatives and the head position with this set up is quite comfortable for me.

The Feinwerkbau risers were sourced from Nikkonos on the bay.

There you have it.

about the only thing that would have made it easier is to have found a tall FWB front sight but they are hard to find and Diana on there HV model 75's used a riser block
i have had a bad habit of buying globe sights and diopters over the year
just show and tell
View attachment 400165View attachment 400166
I have that exact FWB front sight, but it is mounted on a 300S Universal model. The higher cheek piece and a rear sight riser along with that sight gave me a new appreciation for my 300.
The 75HV front that I have is cast into the muzzle weight, as is its standard height counterpart.

I also suffer from the match sight affliction.....
I just can not seem to walk past, without justifying why I need to purchase it.

Just to establish my bona-fides as a fellow 'sight nut', I present-
20231026_160452.jpg

Andrew Tucker rear sight from the UK.