Tuning Weihrauch/Beeman open sight removal and cosmetic fix options

In the heyday of Beeman airguns they sold lots of accessories through retailers for their spring rifles. If an owner mounted a scope and removed the open sights they had muzzle brakes, filler screws, and rear sight plates for a finished appearance. These replacement parts are no longer available and used ones are rarely seen on the classifieds.

I bought a new HW50 in .177 caliber a couple of years ago. I mounted a scope on it and did a few upgrades to make it more user friendly. The action was tuned with an ARH kit to remove all twang in the firing cycle. The Rekord trigger blade was replaced with a setback blade from Rowan Engineering, U.K. Archer Airguns has a steel muzzle brake that is an excellent replacement to hide the front sight grooves and for cocking leverage. It was more of a challenge to find a professional looking solution to fill the rear sight holes after removal.

There are 2 threaded holes and one smaller unthreaded hole under the rear sight assembly. The threaded holes are M5 x .5 thread pitch, 4mm deep. This is an oddball set screw size that is almost impossible to find since Beeman stopped offering them. Standard M5 thread set screws won't fit. I researched the forums and several posts recommend filling screw holes with black crayon. I tried this and found that a crayon filled hole smeared if touched or rubbed with a cleaning cloth.

I recently found a post suggesting parts to give the rifle a finished appearance. The post suggested using 3/16" black nylon cabinet hole filler caps. I found Hillman 3/16" black nylon hole caps in the specialty parts drawer at Lowe's. I filled the unthreaded hole using a hot glue gun. After it hardened the excess was cut off cleanly with a single edged razor blade. I made a small plug out of black electrical tape using a hole punch for this smaller hole. The 3/16 nylon caps snap into the 2 threaded holes. These nylon filler caps cost $1.78. Cheap fix that looks right.

Here is a link to the Archer steel muzzle brake. It only fits 15mm diameter barrels such as the HW30, R7, or HW50 like mine. It does not fit 16mm barrels like the R9, R1, HW80, HW95, etc. https://www.archerairguns.com/searchresults.asp?Search=muzzle+brake&Submit=

HW50plugs.1653769717.JPG

HW50fullview.1653761563.jpg

Reactions: .20calguy
I've removed all of the rear sights on my HWs. The leftover holes initially bothered me because I have a bit of ocd. I tried several of the ways mentioned here to cover them or plug them. I was never really happy with the results so I left them open waiting for a nice looking fix. In the interim I got used to seeing them there and they no longer bother me. Basically if you see something enough your brain normalizes it and it sort of becomes invisible. At least it did with me. 

I'm sure lots of people will appreciate your solution. I'll just leave them open since my guns aren't used in the rain.

Be well

Ron 

I make these correct fitting screws. Steel or brass. I beleive they fit HW80, R1, R9, R10, etc. Thats my R10 in .20 in the pics. I check each set I make in that rifle before they ship out. Lower 48 states only. PM me if any interest.

Hello I am a new member and cant send PM's. I would like to purchase the screws your making. How can I contact you?
I would like to buy the screws you're making. I can't send a PM because I am a new memeber. Please let me know how to contact you.
Thanks very much
Zut

I make these correct fitting screws. Steel or brass. I beleive they fit HW80, R1, R9, R10, etc. Thats my R10 in .20 in the pics. I check each set I make in that rifle before they ship out. Lower 48 states only. PM me if any interest.

I'd like a set of the screws for an R9 too. But, like Zut, I don't have enough posts yet to PM. Maybe by the time you get your tooling fixed I'll be good to go for messaging.

Do you think they would fit an HW30s. If possible, when you start again I would like to get two sets. I'm in Utah.
Thank you