• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Weight sorting JSB and FX 34 grain 25 caliber pellets

I am working to decide which pellet I want to shoot in my retuned P35-25. I've settled on relatively heavy ones after some initial accuracy testing based in part on the fact I want this one available the next time a raccoon or other critter needs to be dealt with. I bought an extra barrel prior to the retune so I've tested pellets in both barrels. The new one prefers H&N Baracuda 31 grain but isn't quite as accurate as the old barrel with JSB 34 grain MKII 34 grain. I got a tin of FX 34s to see if they were as accurate. I like to use 30 yard challenge results as my final test. I think they are a better screen than 5 yard group size (which I use as an earlier screen).

The initial results on the FX were not what I wanted to see. I shot a 182 and 184 with them. In an attempt to improve this I decided to weight sort the remaining pellets and to use my single round loader (from Carm). I shot two 188s with these changes. Improved but still not what I want. I shot only 34 grain pellets on the last two targets.

I'd previously shot a 192 and 194 with JSB MKIIs. I shot them again this morning and shot a 190. I was thinking maybe the barrel needed cleaned but the second half of the target was quite a bit better than the first so I think it was more me. But still three targets in a row better than the best FX target I've shot says I will need to stock up on the MKIIs.

I thought you might be interested in the weight sorting results and pictures are always nice so I'll include one. The longest column, the most common size, for the FX is 34 grains. The range is from 33.4 to 34.6grains for the FX. For JSBs, the range is from 33.7 to 35 grains and the most common weights are 34.3 and 34.6 grains. There were only 4 pellets in the remaining tin of JSBs less than 34 grains.

I included a 30 yard challenge target, the 194 I shot with the JSB, unsorted and straight from the tin. I'm still not sure weight sorting does much when I'm shooting at 30 yards. I suspect I would see a bigger difference at longer range. But I think the SPA magazines are costing me some points. I've tested results with Carm magazines in my 177 and 22 caliber P35s and I don't think they hurt me (my one 200 was the P35-22 using Carm magazines). But the spring in the SPA magazines seems a little overly stiff and the body of the magazine is aluminum with fairly sharp edges. Wish I could get regular capacity Carm magazines for this gun but they only offer a 10 count "high capacity" magazine that sticks out about 3/4 inch right into my left cheek. I will probably get a pellet head size gauge for 25 caliber and see if head size makes a difference. It seems to make a little difference in 177 caliber.

I was surprised that the FX were so consistent with the 34 grain weight on the tin while the JSBs are around half a grain heavier on average. They also do not shoot to the same point of aim in my gun. JSBs are over half an inch right and low compared to FX at 30 yards. It's hard to tell them apart by appearance, however. But I don't think they are made on the same die.

sorted 25 caliber pellets.jpg

P35-25 194 11X.jpg

Reactions: Florida_Man
Jim,
JSB makes FX pellets, FX product enjoys better consistency due to the process. When JSB conducts a production run of, let's say, King Heavy Diabolo 33.95s, they set up 8, or 9, machines with appropriate dies. During this production run, one random machine's output will be designated as FX pellets. Due to varying ages and run hours on machines/dies, along with environmental changes, considerable differences in pellet weights/sizes occur. JSB addresses this by blending all product, with exception of FX-designated ones, in total production. Since FX is from one die/machine combination, less variation will occur. Your findings reflect this. WM

The total variation in weight from the lightest to the heaviest was the same for both populations, both FX and JSB tins I measured. So I don't know that I would say FX were more tightly controlled. Maybe the tool used to make the JSB pellets had drifted more away from it's initial calibration than the tool used to make the FX. That could explain the drift away from the 34 grain weight. But the total variation is likely more an indication of the control over the process. Presumably the slugging process involves cutting lead wire to length that is then slugged into a pellet. If so, the wire cutting process and control of the lead wire would control the overall variation in weight.

Steve, from AEAC, did a November 2019 factory tour of JSB, check it out. My information comes from "MythBusters" segment interview near end, with JSB co-owner. Considering 8, or 9, machines of varying ages and run hours and similar number of dies, some brand new, others near end of usable lifetime, pellet variances are understandable. JSB's practice of establishing one die/one machine, for only FX brand, would support more consistency, which has been substantiated by members. WM

The moulds have a life cycle expectancy, can't confirm what that would be with material as lead, but with plastic is about 2-3x 100 thousand cycles is a norm and the mould need to be re-dressed or serviced or replaced. Material is wearing out because of temperature expansion and high pressure and core-cavity is banging together... Along this wear cycles there are the dimensional variations that we see.