weighing pellets (yet again)

Nation,

As many of you know, I shoot Field Target competitively. I've sorted pellets by weighing, checking head size, resizing, rolling, and inspecting the domes.

My general go to projectile has been either a JSB, or Air Arms 8.44.

I've chronograph an entire tin of JSB'S in the past, and found a 53 FPS difference between the highest and lowest within the tin.

I've also weighed an entire tin. What I found, was absolutely atrocious. I found pellets that weighed anywhere between 8.08 grains, on up to 8.74 grains. I also found that only about 40 pellets in the tin actually weighed 8.44 grains.

I've done the same with Air Arms as well. The FPS spread was considerably less at around 35 FPS or so. The tolerance of the Air Arms pellets was closer as well, with the lightest pellet weighing 8.22 grains, and the heaviest weighing 8.66 grains.

I did not do tests on either for accuracy, or lack thereof. 

What a can attest to, is, before sorting, I would get 5-6 "mystery " shots in a 60-72 shot match. Once I sorted by weighing them, I'd get maybe 3-4. After going through all of the culling methods I mentioned above, I'll get 1 or 2 in the course of 2 matches combined. I'll always sort using all of my above methods for a Grand Prix match, or Nationals. I don't usually do that for local matches, and some of my scores definitely reflect that. 

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

Fieldtargettech.com

Tom - I watched your Field Target Tech series a couple years ago, and if you remember, you talked me through installing a regulator in a Marauder. It's been a couple years since I was able to shoot much, so going back to the basics. I'm also amazed at the spread in pellet sizes in a tin (thought it was just me). This last batch was 32.6 to 34.9 grains, I'm beginning to learn in my old age, preparation makes a huge difference.

I'm laying a baseline for this gun as I intend to add a high flow transfer port and install a slug kit to hopefully, allow me to reduce reg pressure and smooth out the shot cycle. It's a project gun (older gen 1 Impact) I use as a learning platform. It's such a fun and in some aspects, incredibly technical sport!

This forum is a phenomenal spot for all of us to get together and share. It's much appreciated.

Nation,

As many of you know, I shoot Field Target competitively. I've sorted pellets by weighing, checking head size, resizing, rolling, and inspecting the domes.

My general go to projectile has been either a JSB, or Air Arms 8.44.

I've chronograph an entire tin of JSB'S in the past, and found a 53 FPS difference between the highest and lowest within the tin.

I've also weighed an entire tin. What I found, was absolutely atrocious. I found pellets that weighed anywhere between 8.08 grains, on up to 8.74 grains. I also found that only about 40 pellets in the tin actually weighed 8.44 grains.

I've done the same with Air Arms as well. The FPS spread was considerably less at around 35 FPS or so. The tolerance of the Air Arms pellets was closer as well, with the lightest pellet weighing 8.22 grains, and the heaviest weighing 8.66 grains.

I did not do tests on either for accuracy, or lack thereof. 

What a can attest to, is, before sorting, I would get 5-6 "mystery " shots in a 60-72 shot match. Once I sorted by weighing them, I'd get maybe 3-4. After going through all of the culling methods I mentioned above, I'll get 1 or 2 in the course of 2 matches combined. I'll always sort using all of my above methods for a Grand Prix match, or Nationals. I don't usually do that for local matches, and some of my scores definitely reflect that. 

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

Fieldtargettech.com

Agree 100%. Those "oddities" one sees occasionally (whether an unexpected miss in competition or a less than clean shot in hunting or target shooting) may well be attributable to the factor(s) you and others here have noted. I have bulk supplies of AA pellets in several weights with the 8.44's being a favorite of several guns.